Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran a google search and it turned up nada in regards to this at least being a common issue. Has anyone come across their thermostat being broken? Figured I’d swap it out seeing as how I haven’t done it since I’ve owned it, glad I had purchased a new one when I went to check. Pics attached (not sure why it’s sideways 🤷🏼‍♂️)

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
Obuhmyuh,

You need to learn 'how-to be proficient' when using search engines.....

Here are just a few (on this forum) with a quick search ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Obuhmyuh,

You need to learn 'how-to be proficient' when using search engines.....

Here are just a few (on this forum) with a quick search ;)

Non of those are even remotely relevant to my OP. Maybe the one asking if it’s necessary to replace, but I think that’s just a dumb question. However, thanks?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,140 Posts
Ran a google search and it turned up nada in regards to this at least being a common issue. Has anyone come across their thermostat being broken? Figured I’d swap it out seeing as how I haven’t done it since I’ve owned it, glad I had purchased a new one when I went to check. Pics attached (not sure why it’s sideways 🤷🏼‍♂️)
Very common failure on that type of thermostat. MB, BMW or Volvo. Newer thermostats are designed "fail open". Check engine light as a result.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,512 Posts
As others have said, it's a very common problem. In fact, you WANT it to fail like that....other alternative is for the thermostat to fail in closed position and then engine severely overheats, or blows a gasket, or drops a valve seat. Have seen a few thermostat fail and jam closed.....nearly all of them were chinese junk. Multi-thousand in cost to fix because of a $17 thermostat bought off aliexpress.

Anyway, it's all good. Change it with (hopefully) good brand and keep driving!

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
When I got my 96 SL 500, I noticed it took 20 or 30 minutes for the engine to get up to operating temperature so I figured it was the thermostat stuck open. A new one proved that theory

A new one is up to operating temperature in 5 to 7 minutes

i’ve never seen one physically broken before though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts