Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Black E320 4Matic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the best cleaning/protectant products that you guys have used on your car to maintain and keep it looking as good as possible against the harsh elements?

IE: Meguiars, Autoglym, Armorall, Turtle Wax etc.

My personal favorites are Armorall wipes for quick and easy clean ups, and Autoglym leather balm for all the leather in the car.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
I buy form autohausaz.com

Try liquid wax, does wonders. Try also cockpit cleaner for dash etc. inside. Overall, I use spray wax for outside very lightly spray and wipe each time I wash my car (for outside) . One container is good for a year. For inside I use cockpit cleaner. The important part is that these products does not leave any residue. They have products for all applications such as leather conditioner and .... Always been happy with the outcome and is inexpensive.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=ycibxqropwh33q55ogiu0z45&[email protected]&[email protected] 4MATIC&year=2001&cid=wax @wax &[email protected] Polishes %26 Waxes

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=ycibxqropwh33q55ogiu0z45&[email protected]&[email protected] 4MATIC&year=2001&cid=car care @car care &[email protected] Car Care Products

·
Registered
2000 E320 Sedan 4Matic
14 Posts
Re: "My personal favorites are Armorall wipes for quick and easy clean ups" - OK but what do you use to clean up the gunky mess left by the dried up Armor-All?

Re: "Autoglym leather balm for all the leather in the car" - the leather in you car seats is treated leather - products made for untreated leather that contain fats, lanolin, etc. will simply accumulate on the surface and create a worse problem.

For quick and easy clean-ups of most surfaces, try 303 Aerospace Protectant

For car leather cleaning, the best available is Dr Leather - comes as spray liquid (best for dirty leather) or wipes (for everyday) as yet only available from a few UK vendors but should be in US soon.

For exterior paint, after cleaning contaminants (clay bar) and polishng, try Maguiar's NXT Generation® Tech Wax® 2.0 - goes on and off easy and really lasts with great shine.

:)

·
Registered
553 Posts
I find with almost any leather cleaner, the dye comes off the seats in mine. SO not impressed. Have to get Leatherique to do some touch ups. The next MB will be an S Class with HOPEFULLY better quality leather.

·
Registered
2000 E320 Sedan 4Matic
14 Posts
Re: "I find with almost any leather cleaner, the dye comes off the seats in mine"

I thought that too, until I relized that it wasn't the dye coming off - it was 10 years worth of accumulated dirt and improper leather treatments that were being removed.

I am still working on my driver seat and now (after hours of cleaning with appropriate product) have almost all of that crap off and can see and feel the clean surface beneath.

Leatherique is not made for our cars - it is OK for 20+ year old cars that still used untreated leathers. BUT Leatherique just adds to the mess on treated leather seats of the 1995+ vintage, despite the many claims to the contrary found on this and other forum discussions.

·
Registered
1973 280SE 4.5, 1999 E430, 2003 SL500, 2009 C300
48 Posts
Byron's Hyde clean and Hyde food for leather does a fantastic job at conditioning and smells like new leather as a bonus when your done.

303 aerospace is good for trim pieces

Clay bar treatment for the paint followed by buffing with meguiars ultimate using a porter cable 7424 random orbital with an orange lake county pad to get rid of most swirls the paint picks up during the year but without cutting too much into the paint. Followed by a few coats of wax with s100 which goes on super fast, wipes off just as easily, shows no white residue, and lasts a while. Pinnacle souverign sealants if you really want a hard protection on the paint surface, but it requires a lot of work and pinnacle glaze for an extra finish on top of all that if I am getting ready for a show.

·
Registered
553 Posts
well...if the original color was white, then maybe I will buy that. The gray comes off the seats..is on the rag and the area on the seat is white. so..something is not right:(

·
Registered
2000 E320 Sedan 4Matic
14 Posts
:eek:
well...if the original color was white, then maybe I will buy that. The gray comes off the seats..is on the rag and the area on the seat is white. so..something is not right:(
My seat leather is a light gray and I have removed aboout 4-7 microfiber towels worth of a dark grey color from my seat while getting down to the actual "seat from the factory".

I am convinced that everything on my towels was dirt and accumulated oils, etc. To remove the actual leather dye, one would have to first completely remove the urathane coating that comes with the factory leather treatment.

I guess it is possible to remove tht coaing depending on what has been done to the seats before. You can test this by putting a few drops of water on the seat - if it beads up, you are still on the coating - if it immediately soaks into dark spots, you are through the coating.:eek:

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,983 Posts
I used Leatherique on my Grey leather seats and had no problem at all with dye coming off the seats.

·
Registered
1997 E320 Elegance- 140,000 miles, Black with Interior 204 (Leather, Saffron/Java)
448 Posts
I like meguiars products for the exterior...I just used their swirl remover 2.0 followed by the liquid Hi-Tech yellow wax and I loved the results...problem is black car just swirls right up again anyway.

Haven't found anything I like more than anything else for the interior though...

·
Registered
1997 E320 Elegance- 140,000 miles, Black with Interior 204 (Leather, Saffron/Java)
448 Posts
I am really impressed with the Turtle Wax Ice paste. Tried Mothers, Zymol and Meguirs and this one beads the best I have seen....
Turtle wax? TURTLE WAX?!? Hand over your keys and step away from the benz. I'd use it on the Kia...maybe...if I was in a bad mood.

Beading is not an indicator of a good car wax.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,983 Posts
NICE! and thank you for the reply. Did you just order the grey dye, prep the seats..blot and let dry?
I didn't use the dye, just the regular conditioner and cleaner kit and followed the instruction on the bottles.

·
Registered
2000 E430 (base), 77 450SL, 89 420SEL, 97 E420
295 Posts
Has anyone tried LeatherHoney on their seats? I've read in other posts some rave reviews and tried it on a briefcase just as a test and still found some residue that was very difficult to remove.
I also have light grey seats and there are some white (or light) spots I inherited from the previous owner. Not sure if these are areas where the dye was removed, or my mechanic seems to think the previous owner had them dyed. The rear seat is immaculate and matches the good areas of the front seats, so not sure of the real problem.

·
Registered
553 Posts
As far as the Turtle Wax, I agree. I always thought Turtle Wax was crap until I used it on my cars and had excellent results. I have used Zymol (over priced fragranced crap I would expect from Big Lots) and Meguirs NXT which I thought was crap and the finish was dull after a week.

I normally wax my cars 1-2x a month. I do it to preserve the finish and because I enjoy it. When I first heard of ICE, I researched it and then used it.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Turtle Wax T-468 Ice Liquid Polish, 16 ounces

Love it. I do not let a "name" hinder me. It is like people that would not buy a high quality product based on a name. This is my 4th Mercedes and I love the brand, but sadly, luxury is not breaking down or inferior products.

People turn their nose up at Hyundai, but they seem to put out a quality product that's not in the shop most the time. That seems to be "luxury".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts