Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E430 SE - Gone but not forgotten :-(
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried the search function but have not found anything close to what I need (I think I suck at the internet anyway), so if this is old I appologize in advance.

I'm thinking of replacing the factory radio/cassette system with an after market Navigation system. Went to Best Buys, etc., and was told that the double din can't be installed without modification.

I'm also told that the car has fiber optic system and that means that all the wiring has to be replaced.

Is all this true? What are my alternatives?

Thanks.

Check out my car pics in the W210 forum.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
35 views and no one knows anything? Am I in the right forum?

Anyway, I decide to go with $30 FM transmitter for the iPod, portable Garmin Nav unit.

End of story.

This is all too complicated for me to worry about. I like simple. I'll probably just end up getting a new E when the body changes in 2010.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
35 views and no one knows anything? Am I in the right forum?

Anyway, I decide to go with $30 FM transmitter for the iPod, portable Garmin Nav unit.

End of story.

This is all too complicated for me to worry about. I like simple. I'll probably just end up getting a new E when the body changes in 2010.
Sounds like a good decision.

By the way, with 60+ posts you would know that it often takes more than a day to get replies. Many at the forum are not that keen on after market (non-OEM) stuff, reduces the number of responses too.

Your car does have audio equipment on a fibre ring. Installing something after market would mean you would need to get rid of everything related, the head unit, the amp, telephone kit, Tele-Aid, navigation, CDC etc. (you probably would not have all these to lose though). In addition most of the instrument cluster/steering wheel integration would be lost.

But there are forum members who have done it. With a little search you should find examples (if you still were interested).

Happy waiting for the new E-class.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
I would ave to aree...

I did it almost 2 years ago, live in LA CA USA and love the integration.
But like u I am looking to the 2010 mb's, and the B-benz-hydrogen with all the opyions.
See the picture, the integration is flawless, as I expect from benz, but it IS 7 year old tech!!!
So u did good.
B

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diesel Benz, thanks for the info. I think I'll stick to my decision.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320, 2006 CLK350, 2008 E63
40 Posts
I just eliminated my fm modulator for my Ipod. Too much hassle with loss of signal in tunnels, over metal bridges and when travelling trying to find good frequencies to keep the sound going. I installed the i-Mercedes-D2B iPod adapter from Dice Electronics. i-Mercedes-D2B by DICE Electronics - iPod Car Adapter, ipod car interface iPod Car Pros. The install was not too bad either. I got assistance from OhLord and bs00clk. Now I have my Ipod hooked up to the Ipod port and Sirius radio hooked up to the AUX port. The sound is worth the install.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zx11blade,

That looks very cool. However, I wouldn't even think of doing this myself, so I would need to find someone who can do it for me.

Question: Do you have the fiber optic system? If so, did you have to rewire the car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It pays to be persistent :)

Here is what I got from Crutchfield:

1- The Pioneer HU (I think you can go with any other, but not sure).($289.99)

Pioneer DEH-P7000BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

2- Wiring harness (adapter for the Fiber Optic) (Free).

Receiver Wire Harness For select 1995-up Audi, Chrysler, Ford, Porsche, Saab, and Volkswagen models at Crutchfield.com

3- MB stereo removal tool. (Free)

Universal OEM DIN Radio Removal Tools at Crutchfield.com

4- Antenna connection adapter. (Free)

Antenna Adapter Connect your factory antenna cable to any aftermarket stereo Works with a variety of 1986-up European and American vehicles at Crutchfield.com

5- Mastersheet instructions. (Free)

Crutchfield.com - What are MasterSheets?

Total cost: $289.99 + install.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had the system installed yesterday and it works exactly as advertised. I gave up the steering wheel audio controls but I have iPod, bluetooth, and cd/cd-r/cd-rw, mp3, etc. The iPod connects via USB, which also serves as a connector for other USSB devices, inside the compartment just under the radio. Seamless install, looks great.

$70 for installation from a Crutchfield approved installer in my area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts