Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Ml320 w163
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a ton of trouble figuring out how to tighten my shock tower nuts without the shaft spinning. Impact wrench did not work for me. I didn't know what Dsockets were till i stumbled on this tool kit.I called 2 auto parts stores about Dsockets and they literally had no idea of such a tool. I know theres a ton of videos but I couldn't find anything relevant for 4MATIC E Class anywhere here is a solid video. I sincerely recommend this kit, got mine for $72 eBay type "39 pc shock absorber kit" you need a go thru wrench and the rest is simple!! BTW this kit is made in china big fat sticker saying so, I can genuinely attest the quality is superb, specs are on the point correct and I could not be more pleased w these chinese tools. Outstanding investment. Thats why i put a Febi center support in my w163. You get what you pay for. Hope the video helps somebody.

tool kit: 39pc Strut Shock Installation Tool Kit Removal Nut Socket Set Absorber's Top Lid | eBay

·
Registered
1998 e430
375 Posts
cool tool! as i recall, i used crows feet "sockets" on the nut and a vice grip to hold the top of the shaft on my non-4matic e430. this is much more elegant.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,044 Posts
i already had a 17mm offset that I use for my motorcycle suspension, as
well as the E320 spark plug boot cap so I just used that, plus an adjustable
wrench for the spindle itself. worked well enough for the half dozen times
I needed to install front shocks so I never sought a more specialized tool

·
Registered
2001 Ml320 w163
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i already had a 17mm offset that I use for my motorcycle suspension, as
wrench for the spindle itself. worked well enough for the half dozen i already had a 17mm offset that I use for my motorcycle suspension, as
wrench for the spindle itself. worked well enough for the half dozen times
I needed to install front shocks so I never sought a more specialized tool View attachment 2618131
Be proud because I could not get anything to work. I got low profile vice grips, and adjustable wrench, I tried one of those heavy duty 17mm deep sockets with half the body cut out and no luck. Also I have NO clue how you could manage to efficiently torque the 2x 17mm nuts. You used the tiny 2>3” access hole? And continuously remove and re apply the 17mm offset for about 5* of movement? While the adjustable wrench makes contact and holds the shock absorber piston on its own? I’m only asking because I feel I must be missing something. I tried this method and i found it literally impossible and I like to think I specialize in the impossible!! Even for pt700 the crows foot sounds helpful but I still struggle thinking of it.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,044 Posts
my apologies ! i overlooked that you had a 4matic. i was viewing the video
and saw it resembled my RWD and presumed too much. my nephew has
a 4m so when I get a chance, I'll peek under his hood and see what's up.

p.s. another thing that comes to mind is to treat this like the Kobayashi Maru
exercise and change the rules. what I have done in other car repair situations
was to heat the wrench up with a oxyacetylene torch and simply bend it to
the desired shape. I can usually find cheap wrenches at the local pawn shop
and have reshaped or welded to suit my needs....provided you have access
to a friendly neighbor with the welding skills.

·
Registered
2001 Ml320 w163
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh no worries! I just wondered boy o boy what am I doing wrong because I have done stuff in the past that made a simple repair that much harder I’ve learned alot since but still at confident amateur hobby level.

·
Registered
2001 Ml320 w163
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The puller is the special tool? I guess it must work but I’m not all that impressed looks like you have to crank the bolt till it makes contact w absorber shaft idk it probably works good but I just love my “pro” kit from eBay I know for sure I’ll be using it again since I refuse to buy new cars. My brother pays 727/month for a new Volvo PLUS insurance my buddy 500 for a new civic including insurance. i can’t make the commitment knowing that I can get 75k+ miles out of these old Benz(s) I haven’t paid more then 1000 for a vehicle in years!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts