Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,463 Posts
The front SAM is actually the front fuse box, under the hood. The SRS module is in the center console, ahead of the gear selector. Generic OBDII scanners won't read these systems - you'll need some specialized equipment for that, and of course the dealer's SDS will do that. Since your's is a pre-MY2005, you can use Carsoft. You can usually find it for around $100.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes CLK 500 with AMG Package
115 Posts
Thanks again. Let me dry up and clean front fusebox area. I highlight doubt there is water in SRS module since gear selector area was definitely dry.

Are SRS connectors present under the seat? Since driver side rear passenger well was like a sea full of water. I am suspecting, maybe it got wet with water and needs some cleaning, possible?

When I start the car from a cold start, no malfunction light, but comes back in few mins.

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,463 Posts
Yes, the passenger seat has a weight sensor in it. The cabriolet has die airbags in both seats.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Where is this sensor located? Can autozone, advance and all these places scan for SRS light?

Light wasn't there previously, but now it's continuously on. Sorry, what do you mean by die air bags? Means which will deploy in case of an accident?

Thanks again.

·
19,463 Posts
The generic OBDII scanners used by auto parts stores will read basic codes for a check engine light, but they can't scan MBZ's other system, like SRS. Since you have a MY2004, the Carsoft 7.4 software might be an affordable option. You can usually get it for around $100. I have also heard of a hand-held tool called "iCarsoft i980" that can also read MBZ systems.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the PDF, very helpful.

Let me look into it and try to clean the terminals and see if it improves anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is one awesome forum. I finally purchased the iCarsoft i980 scanner and it works great. I was able to identify a number of issues with the car and it helped figuring out the issue with my SRS light. It turned out that its the connector on the driver side. I reconnected all connectors and cleared the code. So far so good no error message via the scanner or the console.

It was code B1035 - R12/20 Left front side airbag and for my 2003 CLK320 it was the X35/41 connector. Problem is I can't figure out which actual connector it is. I reconnected all of them and it fixed the issue for now but I really want to do a proper fix so the issue does not come back from that connector.

Does anyone know which color is the X35/41 connector?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
SRS module location 07 clk350

Hey guys - I know quite a few people have indicated the SRS module for the w209(mine is a 2007 clk350) is under the ash tray, in-front of the gear and the center console area, but i have taken my ashtray apart and looked and can't find the darn module to save my life...its getting very frustrating.

Background story....I replaced the steering airbag on the vehicle and tried to clear the SRS light/message with my icarsoft device but it comes right back on every time i clear it. I called my indi and he says it might be the stored info on the module and thus might need to be replaced. I have a replacement but just can't figure out where it goes. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
19,463 Posts
iCarsoft seems to be a good tools, but sometimes its descriptions are not correct. This is from SDS:

B1035 The ignition circuit with component R12/20 (Left front side airbag ignition squib) has > Ω

This means the resistance in the circuit to the squib is too high, often caused by a loose wire or connector. You don't say if this is a coupe or cabriolet (please update your forum user's profile and put your car's year, model and body style in there!).

If it's a cabriolet, this is a common problem. The side bag is in the seat, and folding it forward can put stress on the wiring harness, causing it to come loose, you need to remove the seat back and the plastic trim on the side and manipulate the wire to get some slack in it and check its connection to the squib.

If it's a coupe, the side bag is in the door, so you'll need to remove the panel and check the wiring harness where it attaches to the squib there.

EDIT: BTW, I have a list of DTCs here:

http://benzbits.com/DTC

·
Registered
2005 ML350
62 Posts
I got a convertible model, removed the rear backing on both seats and it looks like the zip tie was already removed. Lots of slack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you Gentlemen V1sionz & Keyhole!

New Guy Here.

I posted a youtube video of your suggested repair. It made total sense to get rid of the suspect squibs to reduce the chance of resistance by soldering the wires at the connections.

It took me a while to determine which squib under the sill but figured it out :) The one I chose was the only one that had matching wires on both ends of the squib per MBZ wiring information provided.

I took an extra step and got rid of the seat side airbag's ground connector

Again thank you both!

·
Registered
40 Posts
SRS - Warning Lamp ON/DTC's B1035/B1037/B103B/B1039
All Model Years
SRS Indicator Lamp On

If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles that the SRS light is illuminated and diagnostic fault code(s) B1035, B1037, B1038 and/or B1039 are stored in the SRS ECU, the resistance in R12/11, R12/12, R12/20 or R12/21 ignition circuits for the sidebag squibs may be too high. This high resistance is caused by either of the following:

^ The left front door separation point connector X35/1,
^ The right front door separation point connector X35/2,
^ The left rear door separation point connector X35/3
^ The right rear door separation point connector X35/4.

To resolve, remove connectors from the wires for sidebags in the left and right front footwells and the left and right rear entryways and connect wires directly. Please follow the below procedure to repair.
Note: Always perform procedure on all 4 connectors.

1. Remove ignition key.

2. Remove A-pillar paneling in front foot well and door sill molding. Remove left front floor covering per WIS document AR68.20-P-2050P and right front floor covering per WIS document AR68.20-P-2070P.

3. Remove left and right rear door sill molding.

4. Expose wiring harness. Figure 1 shows connector for front doors X35/1 (left front door separation point) and X35/2 (right front door separation point). Wiring for rear door connectors X35/3 (left rear door separation point) and X35/4 (right rear door separation point) are similar. Wiring diagram of airbag control module with integrated E-call system can be found in WEB ETM document 91.60-U-2101FA.

5. Remove connectors and connect wires directly with solder connectors.

(A). Cut line approx. 10 mm in front of and behind connector.

(B). Remove about 20 mm of fabric tape on the control unit side.

(C). Strip about 15 mm of insulation from the wire.

(D). Slide solder connector onto wires.

(E). Twist both wire ends together, observing the wire color assignment.

(F). Position solder connector in the middle and shrink it on (solder) using a heat gun.

Utilize wiring harness repair set 220 589 02 99 00 and heat gun part no. 458-HL1802E via the MBUSA Standard Service Equipment Program.
(G). Inspect solder connection.

(H). Tape up both ends of the wires.

6. Delete fault memory with STAR DIAGNOSIS.

7. Install in the reverse order.

--------------------------------------------------

MOD NOTE: See also Post 16 in this thread.
i realize this is old thread, but this procedure looks very "official". Is it "factory Mercedes recommended repair", or, where/who is it from? If yourself, kudos for the time spent. If from "someone" as a certified repair... who? My indie (very skilled in MB) will only do repair procedures that are MB recommended. Especially when dealing with an airbag

·
Registered
3 Posts
As I read it, OP got the tech bulletin from Dealer service.

I took the extra steps to terminate the squibs. so far since my repair no SRS light and wife is happy. ;-)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am a capable mechanic, but i hate electrical. Anything electric or electronic. So im hesitant to do it myself (i dont need to hit a bump and airbag bitch-slaps me!). My indie, VERY experienced in MB, only will do factory repair procedures, so i was worried $$$! Sounds like a couple hours labor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
An inexpensive scanner for resetting the SRS light is the iCarsoft i980. On my 2005 CLK 500 the SRS light also turned on. After some research on this site I checked and reseated some connectors under the driver's seat and reset the SRS light using this reader. It worked! Note that there are different opinions about this reader, but for me it worked out great so far: besides clearing the SRS light on the CLK I used it for various other diagnosis on the ML, e.g. the reader clearly pointed me to a bad inclination sensor that I could fix by soldering some wires.
[/Q
You need special equipment to reset the SRS light. The dealer's SDS (Star Diagnosis) can of course do it and a few other high-end scanners that read MBZ-specific systems.
An inexpensive scanner for resetting the SRS light is the iCarsoft i980. On my 2005 CLK 500 the SRS light also turned on. After some research on this site I checked and reseated some connectors under the driver's seat and reset the SRS light using this reader. It worked! Note that there are different opinions about this reader, but for me it worked out great so far: besides clearing the SRS light on the CLK I used it for various other diagnosis on the ML, e.g. the reader clearly pointed me to a bad inclination sensor that I could fix by soldering some wires.
Does the iCarsoft MB2 clear SRS light, as the i980 does? I had SRS error/ R12/20 LF ignition squib resistance too high. I fixed, and upon using MB2, the error went from "CURRENT AND STORED" to "STORED" only. BUT- the SRS warning/light and the screen "SRS, visit workshop" still remains. I have "cleared error/codes" with my MB2, but warning/light still remains.
Should I get my mechanic to reset/clear?

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is one awesome forum. I finally purchased the iCarsoft i980 scanner and it works great. I was able to identify a number of issues with the car and it helped figuring out the issue with my SRS light. It turned out that its the connector on the driver side. I reconnected all connectors and cleared the code. So far so good no error message via the scanner or the console.

It was code B1035 - R12/20 Left front side airbag and for my 2003 CLK320 it was the X35/41 connector. Problem is I can't figure out which actual connector it is. I reconnected all of them and it fixed the issue for now but I really want to do a proper fix so the issue does not come back from that connector.

Does anyone know which color is the X35/41 connector?

Thanks!
Its the black one, clipped to the blue one. Has red/white stripe, solid brown, small solid brown, and small brown/red stripe (brown with black stripe on out side)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts