·
Registered
2004 CLK500 AMG Package
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SRS - Warning Lamp ON/DTC's B1035/B1037/B103B/B1039
All Model Years
SRS Indicator Lamp On

If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles that the SRS light is illuminated and diagnostic fault code(s) B1035, B1037, B1038 and/or B1039 are stored in the SRS ECU, the resistance in R12/11, R12/12, R12/20 or R12/21 ignition circuits for the sidebag squibs may be too high. This high resistance is caused by either of the following:

^ The left front door separation point connector X35/1,
^ The right front door separation point connector X35/2,
^ The left rear door separation point connector X35/3
^ The right rear door separation point connector X35/4.

To resolve, remove connectors from the wires for sidebags in the left and right front footwells and the left and right rear entryways and connect wires directly. Please follow the below procedure to repair.
Note: Always perform procedure on all 4 connectors.

1. Remove ignition key.

2. Remove A-pillar paneling in front foot well and door sill molding. Remove left front floor covering per WIS document AR68.20-P-2050P and right front floor covering per WIS document AR68.20-P-2070P.

3. Remove left and right rear door sill molding.

4. Expose wiring harness. Figure 1 shows connector for front doors X35/1 (left front door separation point) and X35/2 (right front door separation point). Wiring for rear door connectors X35/3 (left rear door separation point) and X35/4 (right rear door separation point) are similar. Wiring diagram of airbag control module with integrated E-call system can be found in WEB ETM document 91.60-U-2101FA.

5. Remove connectors and connect wires directly with solder connectors.

(A). Cut line approx. 10 mm in front of and behind connector.

(B). Remove about 20 mm of fabric tape on the control unit side.

(C). Strip about 15 mm of insulation from the wire.

(D). Slide solder connector onto wires.

(E). Twist both wire ends together, observing the wire color assignment.

(F). Position solder connector in the middle and shrink it on (solder) using a heat gun.

Utilize wiring harness repair set 220 589 02 99 00 and heat gun part no. 458-HL1802E via the MBUSA Standard Service Equipment Program.
(G). Inspect solder connection.

(H). Tape up both ends of the wires.

6. Delete fault memory with STAR DIAGNOSIS.

7. Install in the reverse order.

--------------------------------------------------

MOD NOTE: See also Post 16 in this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 CLK500 AMG Package
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hope this helps.. I had this issue & It made me crazy until I came across this..
The instructions are from my 1st hand experience.. Good Luck!
Also thanks to "Keyhole" for the wiring diagram.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Congratulations for your persistence and for nailing this issue! Who would have thought that the MB X connectors were a source of high resistance in these circuits? How did you stumble on this MB document?

I wonder how many others have had parts replaced by workshops chasing this problem? Many thanks for posting your experience here..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 CLK500 AMG Package
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My issue was from moving the Front Passenger seat Up,Down,Forward,Back & lifting It to let people In the rear or to clean..
One day I noticed that the SRS light had come on..

So I looked under the "Front Passenger seat" & noticed that the 2 "Brown" wires on the connectors were broken off..

For the part as we all know Mercedes is expensive..
So I said "F" It and took It upon my self to Troubleshoot/Fix the issue..

I sniped the 2 "Brown wires", 1 was "Earth" the other to the "Seat Warmer" which also in turn some how powers the SRS
or grounds the SRS system...

I hard wired them together "Soldered" them Reset the SRS light all was good..

Then 2 maybe 3 weeks ago..

The SRS light went on again.. Now I'm really angry/anxiety attack..

I'm sure we all had these... I took the door sill off the moldings, The door panel, The kick plate on each side In the front & The foot wells..

I noticed there are all the connectors under there and saw that the wires were loose.. So In turn that means the connections obviously are not the greatest... It was giving resistance to the SRS system.. Again like In the directions I've posted I clipped the wires A few MM's back to get fresh good new wire put metal solder connectors on them then soldered them together taped It all up restored all the parts back and woooshhh good to go!

Its not hard at all just be careful taking apart your car then panels/footwell everything Is fairly easy to do.. Soon as you lift the floor pannel/door sill all the connectors are exposed & very easy to work with..

Remember not to have the key In the "Ignition" and there's no need to take your battery terminal off.. It'll only reset your settings & be more of A pain In the @$$ like I did :) Sooo Enjoy!!! Glad I can help!!

·
Registered
2004 CLK500 AMG Package
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mercedes had Quoted me $2800.00 to fix the problem remove/install a new air bag and reset the SRS light.. There thieves by no means go to them if you do not have to.. Please come on here and get help.. Many of the issues we see as hard or don't know about have simple fixes and can be resolved by many of the members on here they are very smart.. I give credit to everyone on here for all the DIY's and tinkering when everyone else is scared.. This helps people save money and get a basic idea of how your car works and eases there anxiety issues about "Mercedes" vehicles in general..

The Mercedes dealership that quoted me is Mercedes Of Manhattan & Mercedes Of Brooklyn.. Both were within $200 of each other..

Total cost/layout/material... $1.89 for solder.. Being I already had a soldering gun some wire clippers electrical tape... But these items can be purchased very cheaply at Home Depot , Lowes ect...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm currently trying to do his "fix" but I'm having difficulty figuring out which connectors are the ones you are referring too. Do yoou happen to have any pics of the connections?

·
Registered
2005 CLK500 Convertible
29 Posts
When I bought my 2005 CLK500 3 years ago, the driver’s headrest wasn’t moving, but I heard the motor sound from the back of the seat. 2 days ago I removed the back cover of the seat and noticed that the motor assembly is not in place. I disconnected the cable, installed the motor assembly in the position, inserted headrest into the white bracket, reconnected cable and put the seat cover back. The headrest is working fine. But later that day I got SRS warning message. What can cause that? Can disconnecting and reconnecting the headrest motor wire cause it? Thank you for reply.

·
Registered
2005 CLK500 Convertible
29 Posts
I took my car to the mechanic that I know who has the code reading equipment. He cleared it in just couple of minutes. He said that disconnecting the cable from the headrest's motor triggered the SRS sensor.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
You need special equipment to reset the SRS light. The dealer's SDS (Star Diagnosis) can of course do it and a few other high-end scanners that read MBZ-specific systems.

·
Registered
2005 CLK 500 at 92k miles
107 Posts
An inexpensive scanner for resetting the SRS light is the iCarsoft i980. On my 2005 CLK 500 the SRS light also turned on. After some research on this site I checked and reseated some connectors under the driver's seat and reset the SRS light using this reader. It worked! Note that there are different opinions about this reader, but for me it worked out great so far: besides clearing the SRS light on the CLK I used it for various other diagnosis on the ML, e.g. the reader clearly pointed me to a bad inclination sensor that I could fix by soldering some wires.

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
I looked at their website and it seems to be a decent scanner to be able to read and reset all the various systems.

·
Registered
2008 CLK350 Cabriolet Black w/Beige leather
57 Posts
Wish I had found this information a year ago. I paid about $1000 to have those connectors fixed at the dealer. I raised hell about it because they are obviously substandard connectors but to no avail.

There is also a problem with one somewhere around the steering wheel but for some reason they said they would replace it for free. Go figure.

·
Registered
#3 2003 CLK500 - Black on Black, no options, mint, 55k mi. Only $7K. Surprise! Brabus exhaust /susp.
18 Posts
Who would have thought, indeed..

Thanks for all these tips - I bought a second '03 CLK500 with 80K (the first one is at 100k... I'm thinking, time to sell to the next lucky owner) but this one has been troubling me with an SRS warning. Fortunately my mechanic said, "check the net, there's a work-around for this." And so now I'm hopeful there is. I'll report back. :wink

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Further thoughts on post 1, now I have read it again (thoroughly). Refer to the airbag circuit pdf in post 1 for clarification, although I have now discovered that there are slightly different circuit drawings for pre and post facelift models.

1. The text clearly is not specific to W209, as the CLK has no rear doors.
2. Location details of the terminals/connectors were not supplied there.
3. On W209 models, the following airbag squibs are not connected via intermediate terminals. They are wired directly to the SRS control module (N2/7).

R12/1 Driver's seatbelt ETR (tensioner)
R12/2 Passenger seatbelt ETR
R12/6 Left rear seat ETR
R12/7 Right rear seat ETR
R12/11 Left rear side airbag
R12/12 Right rear side airbag
R12/22 Left window airbag (coupe only)
R12/23 Right window airbag (coupe only)

4. The remainder are routed to N2/7 via terminals/connectors, the locations and wire colors of which are shown on the WIS drawings below.

As stated in post 1, terminals X35/1 and X35/2 are located in the door sills (left & right respectively) under covers. The connectors X55/3 and X55/4 are located under the left/right front seats, as shown.

R12/13 Driver's airbag squib 1. via X28/12 to A45 to N2/7.
R12/14 Driver's airbag squib 2. via X28/12 to A45 to N2/7.

A45 is the clock spring contact. X28/12 is the airbag connector on the steering wheel.

R12/20 Left front side airbag. X35/41 (early coupe), X35/1 (late coupe), X55/3 (cabrio)
R12/21 Right front side airbag. X35/42 (early coupe), X35/2 (late coupe), X55/4 (cabrio)

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
26 Posts
Great timing!

Came back here to research a few errors on the wife's car and boom(!!) look what I found... hopefully the answer to my first one. Thanks for the info and the update!

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes CLK 500 with AMG Package
115 Posts
I had a lot of rain water showing up in the driver passenger area. Long story short, now car has finally dried and there is no water, but now there is SRS light on and says to visit workshop.

It was not there before all of this 'soaking and wet' drama happened!!!

Any tips or help would be appreciated.

·
19,447 Posts
You need to get codes pulled. It might be something simple, like a bad weight sensor int he passenger seat, or it could be problems with water in the SAM or SRS control unit.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes CLK 500 with AMG Package
115 Posts
Thanks so much Rudeney.

Where is SRS control and SAM located? How can I have the codes pulled on my own without taking the car to dealership?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts