Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CLK 350, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everyone! I have a 2008 CLK 350 cabrio I bought from my sister with 40k miles and Im going to give it to my daughter when she turns 16. Ive noticed the existing headlights really arent that good, especially in the rain. Ive searched trying to find recent posts about best upgrade options from the halogens on it but only found posts years old. Anyhow, is there a go to strategy to make the headlights better without investing a ton of money? Or is it as easy as installing a particular recommended bulb? Im sure these are the originals. Thanks!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
22,918 Posts
I assume the car has the reflector-style lenses. I would not put anything but halogen bulbs in that. If you want brighter/whiter light, I would recommend replacing the entire headlight assembly with one that uses projector lenses, and then use an HID kit. I did this on my CLK using "DEPO" brand quad projector headlights. I am not sure if they still make them, but that's your best option for better light. I'd skip LEDs - aftermarket bulbs will look whiter, but not put out as much light. Factory LED system uses multiple specialized lenses to properly distribute the light. Oh, and replacing the headlights requires dropping the bumper, but that's really not very difficult.

·
Registered
2008 CLK 350, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume the car has the reflector-style lenses. I would not put anything but halogen bulbs in that. If you want brighter/whiter light, I would recommend replacing the entire headlight assembly with one that uses projector lenses, and then use an HID kit. I did this on my CLK using "DEPO" brand quad projector headlights. I am not sure if they still make them, but that's your best option for better light. I'd skip LEDs - aftermarket bulbs will look whiter, but not put out as much light. Factory LED system uses multiple specialized lenses to properly distribute the light. Oh, and replacing the headlights requires dropping the bumper, but that's really not very difficult.
Thank you! So this but then need to add a HID kit? Any recommendations on a kit?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
22,918 Posts
Yes, those are similar to the headlights I had (if not the exact same ones). All HID kits come from China, so quality can be hit or miss. Just make sure you get one that is "error free". Basically, it has to draw 55w instead of 35w or you'll get bulb errors and flickering. I had HID's in both the high and low beams. They were amazingly bright.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, those are similar to the headlights I had (if not the exact same ones). All HID kits come from China, so quality can be hit or miss. Just make sure you get one that is "error free". Basically, it has to draw 55w instead of 35w or you'll get bulb errors and flickering. I had HID's in both the high and low beams. They were amazingly bright.
The site with the link said go 35w and not 55w or they can melt the housing. No?

·
Registered
99' E320, 00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
4,213 Posts
I use Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs in all of my cars. A great improvement over the original bulbs that came on the car. I also have them in my fog lights and they help in rainy conditions and really dark roads.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Evening everyone! I have a 2008 CLK 350 cabrio I bought from my sister with 40k miles and Im going to give it to my daughter when she turns 16. Ive noticed the existing headlights really arent that good, especially in the rain. Ive searched trying to find recent posts about best upgrade options from the halogens on it but only found posts years old. Anyhow, is there a go to strategy to make the headlights better without investing a ton of money? Or is it as easy as installing a particular recommended bulb? Im sure these are the originals. Thanks!

What H? halogen bulbs are they ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts