Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi , I just replaced my coolant recovery / expansion tank / reservoir..with a new genuine MB part.
I confirm I could see inside the tank through a hole some fabric in the front compartment , which I presumed to be a bag of chemicals or silicates to replenish the coolant over the coming years.

My recommendations are ,,drain just enough coolant to empty the tank via the rad . lower drain valve into a clean container so it can be re-used.
1. Remove the coolant return hose from the top of the tank and the engine air intake tube.
2. Remove the 10mm mounting nut and then pull the tank carefully up and out of the lower mounting tab.
3. Squeeze and remove the level sensor wire.
4. Now that the tank can be moved a little ,,you have easy access to the clamp for the main hose.
Use groove joint pliers to expand the clamp and move it down so that the hose can then be removed and then take the tank out.
5. Swap the metal extension pipe on the inlet from the old tank to the new one.
6. Fit in reverse order..put the main clamp back in exactly the same position as it was originally,,locate the tank tabs into their places ,,and refill the collected coolant into the tank.
7. Run the engine and check for leaks and the correct level , but it should be fine.
All in all quite an easy job.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
2,115 Posts
Thanks for the crash course Benzyle. If you don't mind, any reason why you replaced the coolant tank? Is it primarily to replace the bag with chemicals, which as I understand are not available seperately?

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the crash course Benzyle. If you don't mind, any reason why you replaced the coolant tank? Is it primarily to replace the bag with chemicals, which as I understand are not available seperately?
Hi miko1aj ,
Yes , that was the only reason.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Got it, thanks Benzyle. I replaced the coolant last year, but not the tank - I'll have to get one and keep it as a spare, right now my baby is off the road due to COVID. If you have the pn handy I'll appreciate you sharing it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Part number is 2035000049...I got mine from fcpeuro.com in the USA.
Too bad you are not driving ,,are you not allowed to drive your car ?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Thanks Benzyle, I'll check it out.

The reason I don't drive CLK these days is because I WFH full time plus no travel to the US / continental Europe for the foreseeable future, and we have a proper family car - so the CLK just sits outside. I do take her for a short spin every 2-3 weeks just to keep her ticking, but mileage wise I'm stuck at roughly 63k since March.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK ,,I see ,,,good idea to drive her regularly ..it's not good for cars to sit and not be used.
I drive my CLK55 every week just to keep everything moving..lucky I have a motorway only a few k's away.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Yes I know what your mean... Use it or lose it 😉 I also have a motorway nearby, handy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts