Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not my treatise on the W209 internal digital communication system. I have simply pulled together some relevant WIS drawings to give members a broad insight into what is sometimes a puzzling area for CLK owners.

Normally the bus system is very reliable, unless it has been disturbed by accidents or modifications, as the fiber-optic cable can only be flexed to a certain degree before it is damaged.

The W209 has three bus systems:

a) CAN bus B for Interior systems - that is everything other than 'engine'.
b) CAN bus C for Engine systems.
c) D2B bus for entertainment systems. (COMAND, radio, CD, phone, etc)

The D2B system is upgraded to the MOST system with the 2005 face-lift modifications.

My WIS does not have a written explanation of the improvement the MOST design provides over the D2B. Just a circuit diagram, which is below.

The Interior CAN bus is divided into 3 interconnected loops, connected at X30/4, X30/6, X30/7. The engine CAN bus is on one loop, X63/4. The important 'wake-up' signal originates from the radio. It can be seen that some modules are on two CAN bus loops.

Out of interest, I have looked up the CAN bus arrangement in a more modern MB, e.g. W216. I found that the communication design there has expanded into 7 separate loops, with CAN B, CAN D, CAN E, CAN F, CAN G, CAN H, CAN S.

I am very happy to be corrected if any of the information here is wrong. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MOST function explained

An update on the missing information about the MOST bus, which is now an industry standard.

I found this interesting document on an AUDI site. Audi have used the MOST design since 2003, and the document explains that it enables much higher transmission rates (up to 21.2 Mbit/s) which is required for the modern 'infotainment' systems.

I also note that the LIN bus described there is also used on current MBs.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_286_d1.pdf

From page 17.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,989 Posts
Great info, Keyhole!

·
Registered
2009 CLK550 AMG
2 Posts
Question:

I just had my Hi's and Low beams replaced with LCD 25W HEISE LCD Bulbs. I can no longer use the "Auto" lighting for headlights since if selected, during day or night driving, the headlights turn on and off like a discoteque.

The professional garage that installed the light said that I cant use the "Auto" headlight selection any more. If I need my lights on. Manually turn them on.

Am I missing a part or something that can communicate with the existing CAM BUS module for the headlights....a convertor of some sort?

Any help appreciated.

If anyone successfully installed fully operational LCD Lo and Hi Beam headlights for the W209 2009 CLK550...please let me knowwwwwwwww.

Jimmy

·
Registered
2009 CLK550 AMG
2 Posts

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,248 Posts
Hi all,

Just found the following for issue with lights turning on and off. Canbus adapter.

https://www.carid.com/2009-mercedes-clk-class-led-lights/heise-led-headlight-kit-1740279128.html?parentsubmodel[]=MODEL|CLK550

Getting installed this weekend. Will update letting you know if issue with blinking headlights gets resolved as well as ability to have "Auto" headlight mode activated.

Jimmy
I would avoid the LEDs with only two light arrays if I were you. They don't throw out enough light in enough directions and your lights will be a LOT dimmer than halogen. BTDT with my R350.

Go for ones with four light emitting areas. I used these:

Zdatt 14400LM 4-sides Super...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077M78P1P?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Not quite as good as halogen but very close.

Remember a halogen bulb essentially throws out light in ALL directions and the parabolic reflector in the back of the Plano bends that light and shoots it back in the right direction.

One other point: don't forget to order the mounting clips. You may find it best to take the headlights out to fit them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts