Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,025 Posts
I have the same car and I just change my oil and my car smokes a little bit what does this mean ?
You probably should start a new thread for this topic, but...it could be many things. Smoke from the tailpipe is on of three things:

1. Oil entering th combustion chamber caused by leaking piston rings, valve seats, leaking head gasket or a cracked block

2. Water vapor, due to water in the exhaust pipe from ambient humidity, or coolant entering the combustion chamber due to a leaking head gasket or cracked block

3.Unburned fuel from a rich mixture due to engine control problems or starting/stopping the engine while it's cold

·
Registered
Clk 350
3 Posts
Thanks for the inquire but none of these issues should be happening it wasn't smoking before I changed oil I've been hearin it might be too much oil I put in or maybe some of the old oil burning?

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,025 Posts
If you put in too much oil, it reaches the cam and valves and will foam. When this happens, you lose viscosity and the smoke would more likely be due to some damage caused by an under-lubricated engine. Let's hope that's not it. There should be no "old oil" burning. Again, the oil should not be entering the combustion chamber. Well, actually, some very tiny molecular amount of oil does enter the combustion chamber as the piston rings float across the layer on the cylinder walls, but this is such a minuscule amount, it doesn't cause smoke or even a noticeable amount of oil loss between 12K mile changes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bad fuel pump & sending unit - CLK350

My 2006 CLK350 died 2 weeks ago... she has 84,000 miles so I did the obvious and replaced the battery, and the CPS. Still dead, would crank but not turn over.

I found out $1400 later, that MB designed their fuel filter (non-serviceable) which is inside the gas tank and inside the fuel sending unit; when that fails, or clogs, it causes the fuel pump to work harder, then fail.

*I never knew fuel pumps could fail as so low mileage... fyi...

D-Gunz

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Were you able to examine the old filter to see if it was clogged - or is that what you were told?

I find it hard to believe that the fuel filter would get into that condition (at that mileage) unless some really crap fuel had been used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fuel problem

I have 2004 clk 500 with 197,250 mile on it
A week ago I had a hard start like it was not getting gas. I shut the car off and restarted and it ran fine.
Today the call just died. I can crank but the car will not start. I took the air filter off and sprayed a little gas in the throttle body and the car started for just a second.
I believe it’s the fuel pump but have no idea for sure or where it’s located. I would appreciate any help from this forum
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
have 09 clk350 crank no start no fuel in rail this is first time ever problem starting it has 70000 miles and had no prior issues well maintained. im having a dilemma as to whether it is the fuel pump , transfer pump or sending unit or even the sensors

·
19,025 Posts
Do you have pressure on the fuel rail after switching the ignition on but before cranking? If so , it might be a bad CPS. If not,t hen start diagnosing the fuel pump circuit.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts