Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2010 c300 w4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the rear subframe on my wife’s 2010 C300w4 fail and literally start to fall apart after a service visit to an authorized MB dealer. It started to exhibit some serious handling issues and when I jacked up the right rear and removed the tire, I found a crack next to one of the aluminum suspension struts mounting flange. Being out of warranty and with 94k I realized there was little MB would do. I’d worked for 2 Mercedes Benz dealers over 40 years and sold millions of dollars worth of cars, but I knew what the answer would probably be. I just didn’t realize how bad the problem was. The dealer had the factory rep look at problem who said that MB would not cover it. I elected to have a friend’s MB Certified body shop do the work at a cost of $4000.; the dealer wouldn't give me an exact cost but was suggesting somewhere around $5500-$6000.
From just looking at the subframe it was difficult to see the extent of the damage but upon removal of the old unit, it was surprising how much rust had taken place from the inside. The entire flange holding one of the links completely fell out!

The above photo shows the extent of the rust on the underside of the flange and how serious the damage was. This could not be seen without removing the subframe. I’ve since written the NHTSA.gov and registered a report of my finding. It appears that a number of W204 sedans have suffered this problem with very few getting any factory help. The car was bought new in February 2010, garaged kept, serviced regularly at MB dealers and every suggested repair done. A year ago we had a $6,000.00 sunroof water leak repair bill. Luckily insurance covered most of that amount.

I placed a call and spoke to two different MB customer service representative- I was offered $1000.00 towards the price of a new C class.
What’s even more interesting is the fact that 3 weeks prior to my finding the crack, I had the car in for a service and was told it needed: new idler pulley and serpentine belt, a transfer case reseal, a transmission service, new springs, (btw, no mention of the subframe deterioratio) at a cost of close to $7000.00! Hell, the car’s only worth $7-9000.00!

if anyone has had a similar problem, and I would suggest anyone with an W204 C Class, to look carefully at the rear subframe with a good tech who doesn’t just look! You need to pry on all the suspension links and look for movement. You should also go on the NHTSA.gov site and register a complaint. don’t wait until it’s too late.
Mac Morgan
Hockessin Delaware
[email protected]

·
Registered
1998 CLK320, 1999 CLK320 Coupe, 2000 SLK230 Designo, 2009 C300 6-speed
19 Posts
I hope you don't mind my waking up an old thread.

This appears to be a common issue. There was recently some discussion about it on a Facebook group. Someone mentioned that in Europe, M-B is replacing the subframes under warranty up to 15 years old (age of car). I haven't verified that, but it appears there were several people who chimed in and said they had theirs replaced.

If there are a lot of people experiencing this in the US, it may be good to make it known.

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic Luxury W204
137 Posts
Sorry to say 4k was a bit too much. I bought used for 400 and 1 yr of warranty for 59 and installed for 400.00 This is a common problem but if MB recalled this, they would go BK CH 13. I have pics of my Fail on this site but another forum.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Folks, My name is Dave Evans and I am in the UK. I provide assistance to our Club members (SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK) - we have 2.7k members, I look at structure and corrosion issues on members vehicles)). Our members have had serious issues with the rear subframes on Mercedes SLK R171 models built between 2005 and 2008, there was no anti-corrosion treatment applied to the inside of the rear subframes during production, so they have rotted from the Inside - out so, when you can see corrosion on the outside of the subframe, it's too late! I have been working with over 60 members of our group alone, who have subframe corrosion issues. We have had 9 subframes collapse whilst being driven, fortunately, no serious injuries or deaths (most collapsed at low speed, fortunately) We are the only Club over here that has had any success is challenging MBUK with regard to rear subframe replacement. Up to now, we have succeeded in getting MB to replace 30 rear subframes FOC (Free Of Charge) and I am still working with over 30 members helping them with the subframe issues by providing Information Sheets, data, and further help sheets as their claims progress! We are fortunate over here in the UK that we have Ministry of Transport Tests (MOT's) annually which pick up a number of these subframe issues, we, as a Club have set up a help scheme where members can approach me for information on the procedures and process for making a claim and I provide a 'Rear Subframe Replacement Information Sheet' which covers the initial contact with MB, a draft email, description of the process, etc. for members to use for their claims. Should there be any further issues with the claim, I have further Information sheets that escalate the process. My cousin lives in the US and he has sent me some info on the issues with Mercedes over there, that sound very similar to our experiences over here. I wondered if Mercedes Owners Club in the US were having any success in challenging MB and having things like the rear subframe corrosion issues addressed FOC? If there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to contact me? I am not sure how your site works, whether I need to include my email or not? I can be contacted through our Club site 'SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK'. you will bare in mind that the information I have relates to the UK I think I have identified the US Customer Assistance details off the MB site and I suppose that you know your individual local Dealerships? that is where the UK information will have to be converted to US information! All the work I do regarding the corrosion issues, is done by me alone, so, as you will appreciate, I am currently working with our Club members so, I apologise in advance of any delays in my responses! I look forward to hearing from BenzWorld and it's members - Best Regards Dave Evans SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK

·
Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
20,256 Posts
We definitely have heard of issues like this on here. C class in particular but I don't recall which series.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Ian, good to hear from you, I am working with the owners of the R171 SLK's I our SLK Owners Club over here, I did post this message in the R171 group on BenzWorld when I managed to find it. I did post this message on this section of the site as, at the time, I couldn't find the section of the site I needed? I have a cousin over in the US and I was talking to him yesterday and we were discussing what I was doing and he had told me that there were issues with the SLK's rotten rear subframes over there too, so I managed to find this group and posted this message, we have been successful taking on MB over here and getting them to replace 30 of our owners subframes FOC, so far, which has saved about £2000 ($2686) per vehicle. If you could forward/publicise my offer of help to the relevant group on this site that would be great and I will see what I can do to help them with establishing a claims process? I have started to modify my paperwork to suit the US requirements. If they think that I can help, and, if they get in touch with me, I will see what I can do? I hope this will help and, that our Owners Club could maybe work together with BenzWorld to get these dangerous subframes changed FOC across there in the US? Thank you for getting back to me and I look forward to trying to help your group members over there. Speak to you soon, hopefully, Best regards, Dave Evans

·
Registered
137 Posts
If there is a class action lawsuit filed, I want in. I posted my experiences backed with photos while on my 13 C300 and after removed/replaced. I almost died on I95 on a quick stop from 70 MPH to 35 MPH, white knuckles when unexpected. but luckily, I was able to avoid a collision after the swerve stopped.

·
Registered
*******2006 S430 4Matic******2016 Grand Cherokee Limited********
381 Posts
Greetings, this was one of Mercedes largest blunders in recent times, even more so than the crappy sheet metal used in the cars from 1996-2003..... Mercedes knew of this issue in 2008/2009...they never addressed it properly, yes some went back under a special service bulletin. We sell every single one we get. It baffles me that Mercedes can not step up and own their mistakes and rectify them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I will never forget. It happened at night. ALL 4 LANES SLOWED DOWN TO WATCH MY CAR HAVE A SEIZURE ! That's the only way I can explain it. I slowed down to 40, but cars on left looked at me scared and puzzled because I was in a Mercedes. I will testify, mechanic who changed sub frame is retired MARINE! UH RA!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Folks, My name is Dave Evans and I am in the UK. I provide assistance to our Club members (SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK) - we have 2.7k members, I look at structure and corrosion issues on members vehicles)). Our members have had serious issues with the rear subframes on Mercedes SLK R171 models built between 2005 and 2008, there was no anti-corrosion treatment applied to the inside of the rear subframes during production, so they have rotted from the Inside - out so, when you can see corrosion on the outside of the subframe, it's too late! I have been working with over 60 members of our group alone, who have subframe corrosion issues. We have had 9 subframes collapse whilst being driven, fortunately, no serious injuries or deaths (most collapsed at low speed, fortunately) We are the only Club over here that has had any success is challenging MBUK with regard to rear subframe replacement. Up to now, we have succeeded in getting MB to replace 30 rear subframes FOC (Free Of Charge) and I am still working with over 30 members helping them with the subframe issues by providing Information Sheets, data, and further help sheets as their claims progress! We are fortunate over here in the UK that we have Ministry of Transport Tests (MOT's) annually which pick up a number of these subframe issues, we, as a Club have set up a help scheme where members can approach me for information on the procedures and process for making a claim and I provide a 'Rear Subframe Replacement Information Sheet' which covers the initial contact with MB, a draft email, description of the process, etc. for members to use for their claims. Should there be any further issues with the claim, I have further Information sheets that escalate the process. My cousin lives in the US and he has sent me some info on the issues with Mercedes over there, that sound very similar to our experiences over here. I wondered if Mercedes Owners Club in the US were having any success in challenging MB and having things like the rear subframe corrosion issues addressed FOC? If there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to contact me? I am not sure how your site works, whether I need to include my email or not? I can be contacted through our Club site 'SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK'. you will bare in mind that the information I have relates to the UK I think I have identified the US Customer Assistance details off the MB site and I suppose that you know your individual local Dealerships? that is where the UK information will have to be converted to US information! All the work I do regarding the corrosion issues, is done by me alone, so, as you will appreciate, I am currently working with our Club members so, I apologise in advance of any delays in my responses! I look forward to hearing from BenzWorld and it's members - Best Regards Dave Evans SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK
im in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The 204 is a model that has issues with corrosion in the rear subframe and, in many cases these have been changed FOC by Mercedes Benz Dealerships. I would suggest that Owners have theirs inspected by their dealership asap as they could collapse as has been seen on a variety of Mercedes Forum in the UK, Europe and the USA. This is one of a number of models, listed on the 'MB Service Supplement Document regarding rear subframes: S135.00-P-0009A Service Information: Supplement to notes in maintenance documents on rear axle. Issued 05-11-2018'. Unfortunately, this document doesn't seem to be available on the UK Database, Not sure why not?? (that is according to MBCS UK and, they say that 'they can not affirm that the document relates to UK Vehicles' (not sure why not??) strange!!, as I can readily find it in German, Russian, Polish just not in English) although, fortunately, I have had an English version sent to me as a screenshot from the AMG Private Lounge in Germany. so it is out there somewhere!! The Vehicles listed on the Supplement Document include: 171, 172, 203, 204, 205, 207, 209, 212, 218, 231, 253 Models. I hope that this information is useful to various owners out there?? Be aware that these subframes can collapse in our R171 Owners club alone we have had 11 members whose 171 subframes have collapsed whilst being driven! Our R171 owners club have had 46 members subframes replaced FOC so far and we are still working with over 50 members atm. If you want to claim, be strong and polite and Good Luck folks!!

·
Registered
w203 2012 c220 cdi amg edition
1 Posts
The 204 is a model that has issues with corrosion in the rear subframe and, in many cases these have been changed FOC by Mercedes Benz Dealerships. I would suggest that Owners have theirs inspected by their dealership asap as they could collapse as has been seen on a variety of Mercedes Forum in the UK, Europe and the USA. This is one of a number of models, listed on the 'MB Service Supplement Document regarding rear subframes: S135.00-P-0009A Service Information: Supplement to notes in maintenance documents on rear axle. Issued 05-11-2018'. Unfortunately, this document doesn't seem to be available on the UK Database, Not sure why not?? (that is according to MBCS UK and, they say that 'they can not affirm that the document relates to UK Vehicles' (not sure why not??) strange!!, as I can readily find it in German, Russian, Polish just not in English) although, fortunately, I have had an English version sent to me as a screenshot from the AMG Private Lounge in Germany. so it is out there somewhere!! The Vehicles listed on the Supplement Document include: 171, 172, 203, 204, 205, 207, 209, 212, 218, 231, 253 Models. I hope that this information is useful to various owners out there?? Be aware that these subframes can collapse in our R171 Owners club alone we have had 11 members whose 171 subframes have collapsed whilst being driven! Our R171 owners club have had 46 members subframes replaced FOC so far and we are still working with over 50 members atm. If you want to claim, be strong and polite and Good Luck folks!!
Hi Dave, just had an mot fail with rear subframe corrosion on my 2012 w204 c220, gutted as looked after the car so well, amazed at how many people had the same issue, not in a position to get it fixed £ wise so its parked up collecting dust for now, would you have any info you could send me on how to approach merc, what to say / do to get it replaced ?
I'm in manchester UK, only got one dealer left near me in stockport but they are very difficult to actually talk to anyone in person ie the service manager.
They have said the way forward is to get it booked in for an inspection at at cost of £55 and then they will tell me what they think but i can guess what the answer might be !
Any help MUCH appreciated

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Dave, just had an mot fail with rear subframe corrosion on my 2012 w204 c220, gutted as looked after the car so well, amazed at how many people had the same issue, not in a position to get it fixed £ wise so its parked up collecting dust for now, would you have any info you could send me on how to approach merc, what to say / do to get it replaced ?
I'm in manchester UK, only got one dealer left near me in stockport but they are very difficult to actually talk to anyone in person ie the service manager.
They have said the way forward is to get it booked in for an inspection at at cost of £55 and then they will tell me what they think but i can guess what the answer might be !
Hi Maverickc
I have generally supported R171 owners but, I have already started to modify the 171 and 172 information sheets to meet the needs of the W204 (and other Models) owners, I should be finished altering the paperwork within the next day or so :) as far as MB Dealerships charging for the Inspections, they tried that with the 171 owners so far we have had about 60 inspected nationwide, all FOC and of those, we have had 48 subframes replaced FOC so far and I am currently working with over 60 owners both in our Club and, through BenzWorld. We pointed out that because MBCS UK won't accept MOT Failure as sufficient evidence and require that an MB Dealership carry out the inspection, that this should be done FOC. I have been involved on a large number of Mercedes Benz Forum in the UK, Europe and in the US and have seen similar serious corrosion on both C Class and E Class Mercedes similar to the problems we have experienced with the R171 - rear subframes literally falling to pieces, rotting from the inside -out. In our SLK Owners Club alone we have had 11 R171 subframes collapse whilst being driven. on the various Forum, the general consensus seems to be that, it is a combination of, poor quality steel and a lack of rust protection inside the subframe during production allowing them to corrode from the inside - out.
If you let me have your email address either, by a PM to me (Dave Evans) on the club (SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK) Facebook page or, on here, I will forward an Information Sheet as soon as I have completed it - I hope this information helps? Speak to you soon Dave Evans :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Maverick
I have completed the revised Information Sheet for the W204 Rear Subframe Replacement Information Sheet, I can send you a copy when I have your email address :) I will check on my Dealership List and with other Owners on our SLK Club site and see what Positive feedback I can get on Dealerships in your area? I have a list of Dealerships across the UK and Northern Ireland but, they only get 'sorted' into Good Dealerships and Dealerships to Avoid, when I receive feedback from Owners who have used them for subframe changes/inspections, etc. I also ask Members for their Feedback on Dealerships that they actually use If I don't have specific feedback in a specific area, and a Member needs some guidance on who to approach! Hope to hear from you soon, Regards Dave Evans SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Dave
I have just been told my 204 C180, 2013, has started to show signs of rust by my local independent Mercedes specialist. Could you please send me the information sheet. Also I am in the Reading area so any information on good dealerships would be appreciated too. [email protected], Many thanks in advance, Simon

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Dave
I have just been told my 204 C180, 2013, has started to show signs of rust by my local independent Mercedes specialist. Could you please send me the information sheet. Also I am in the Reading area so any information on good dealerships would be appreciated too. [email protected], Many thanks in advance, Simon
Hi Simon
I have sent you a copy of the Information Sheet for the W204 I hope it works for you?
If you have any issues or need any help or advice
I am here to help
Dave

·
Registered
C200 CDI - W204 - 2011
2 Posts
Hi Maverick
I have completed the revised Information Sheet for the W204 Rear Subframe Replacement Information Sheet, I can send you a copy when I have your email address :) I will check on my Dealership List and with other Owners on our SLK Club site and see what Positive feedback I can get on Dealerships in your area? I have a list of Dealerships across the UK and Northern Ireland but, they only get 'sorted' into Good Dealerships and Dealerships to Avoid, when I receive feedback from Owners who have used them for subframe changes/inspections, etc. I also ask Members for their Feedback on Dealerships that they actually use If I don't have specific feedback in a specific area, and a Member needs some guidance on who to approach! Hope to hear from you soon, Regards Dave Evans SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK
Hi Dave, I would love a copy of your Information sheet for the W204. I am in Ireland and recently bought a 2011 C200 CDI W204 (imported from NI) with a 'rough' drive train but is otherwise fantastic. An official MB checkup didn't mention anything and my independent mechanic knows something is wrong, but doesn't know what. So any information on what to look for would be much appreciated, even if it is only to rule this out. My email is iconpart at hotmail dot com.
Regards,

Paul Smith.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Dave, I would love a copy of your Information sheet for the W204. I am in Ireland and recently bought a 2011 C200 CDI W204 (imported from NI) with a 'rough' drive train but is otherwise fantastic. An official MB checkup didn't mention anything and my independent mechanic knows something is wrong, but doesn't know what. So any information on what to look for would be much appreciated, even if it is only to rule this out. My email is iconpart at hotmail dot com.
Regards,

Paul Smith.
Hi Paul
I have sent a copy of the Information sheet.
If you need any more help, support or advice just contact me
I am here to help
Regards
Dave Evans

1 - 20 of 41 Posts