Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes w203
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have just bought a digital climate control for my mercedes w203, as i didnt like the old one, i had it fitted today and noticed the EC light was on, and wouldnt turn off resulting in loss of air conditioning. After fitting the old one back in it was functional again, could this mean the new digital climate control is faulty?

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
mindi said:
i have just bought a digital climate control for my mercedes w203, as i didnt like the old one, i had it fitted today and noticed the EC light was on, and wouldnt turn off resulting in loss of air conditioning. After fitting the old one back in it was functional again, could this mean the new digital climate control is faulty?
you cant just hook up a new control panel and expect it to work. the panel is a control unit and it needs to be coded (programmed) before it functions correctly. also not sure if the digital display can be used instead of the non digital display, but if it does it has too be coded first

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
mindi said:
you cant just hook up a new control panel and expect it to work. the panel is a control unit and it needs to be coded (programmed) before it functions correctly. also not sure if the digital display can be used instead of the non digital display, but if it does it has too be coded first

·
Registered
mercedes w203
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MJ50 said:
there are 3 different part numbers for climatronic...
1 the one you have didn't work, then one of the remaining two will work...
it's all trial & error...
everything else works on the unit as it should, who would i need to see to get this unit coded?

·
Registered
2002 C320; 17" AMG 5-split-spoke wheels with Michelin PS2 tires
111 Posts
mindi said:
everything else works on the unit as it should, who would i need to see to get this unit coded?
Dealer or indy shop that knows how to code it.

·
Registered
2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
1,122 Posts
As far as I know, on canadian cars, there are two HVAC systems. The non-digital has less doors in the system than the digital one. I don't know if it applies to you. You should update your info to include the year of your car.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
mindi said:
because there is no information on the new unit. its a control unit and it stores information. but since its new there is no information on it, you have to manually enter infor into it or automatically transfer the data from the old unit into the new unit.

·
Registered
2014 E350, 2004 C230 / 2011 E350, 2008 R350, 2004 E500
61 Posts
MJ50 said:
there are 3 different part numbers for climatronic...
1 the one you have didn't work, then one of the remaining two will work...
it's all trial & error...

MJ50 is correct. And you can not get dealer to re-code it. It's hardware compatibility issue.

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
That is what I have read ... the automatic has "10" flap doors and the manual has "8" doors - also they send and receive different signals with different needs...it is a system change...even well known online websites do not seem to really say this is a sure shot...

I guess I am just a little more old school...I hop in the w123, then the w203 and realize what 25 years has not changed...

Jake

1 - 13 of 13 Posts