Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I recently purchased a 2003 220CDI. The (auto) gearbox sometimes jolts (a feeling of hanging then lurching forwards) when changing gears - mainly when going up from 2nd to 3rd. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does it can be quite a violent jolt. It went back to the garage where they said they put it through the computer but couldn't find anything - I suspect they just don't want to admit that there's a problem and fix it under the warranty. Problem occurs in both C and S modes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the C220CDI with the autobox and there were two occasions when the gear shifts misbehaved. The first was when the engine oil was in need of a litre adding (the oil warning light comes on when you need more than a litre top up) - this is easy to check from cold by the electronic dash check (something I now do regularly), after this was topped up it instantly changed gear correctly. The second was when there was a split in the intercooler, again this instantly rectified the problem when the intercooler was replaced. There are many problems that could cause this but worth checking the simpler more obvious ones first.
You say the computer software could not identify anything.Fault codes should be stored so the software would eliminate some possible causes. Just a thought, has the garage checked the obvious which could be a selector rod out of adjustment?(I would hope so as this is a very easy thing to check, if not that may be the next thing to do).

Hope these suggestions help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help! I recently purchased a 2003 220CDI. The (auto) gearbox sometimes jolts (a feeling of hanging then lurching forwards) when changing gears - mainly when going up from 2nd to 3rd. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does it can be quite a violent jolt. It went back to the garage where they said they put it through the computer but couldn't find anything - I suspect they just don't want to admit that there's a problem and fix it under the warranty. Problem occurs in both C and S modes.
I have the same problem in my 2003 C230 Kompressor. It jolts in 2nd to 3rd. Mechanic said they couldn't find anything wrong. It usually only does it when its "cold" when I start driving for a while it works good. I've also noticed it's when I accelerate kinda quickly, almost as it can't change gears fast enough.

Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the C220CDI with the autobox and there were two occasions when the gear shifts misbehaved. The first was when the engine oil was in need of a litre adding (the oil warning light comes on when you need more than a litre top up) - this is easy to check from cold by the electronic dash check (something I now do regularly), after this was topped up it instantly changed gear correctly. The second was when there was a split in the intercooler, again this instantly rectified the problem when the intercooler was replaced. There are many problems that could cause this but worth checking the simpler more obvious ones first.
You say the computer software could not identify anything.Fault codes should be stored so the software would eliminate some possible causes. Just a thought, has the garage checked the obvious which could be a selector rod out of adjustment?(I would hope so as this is a very easy thing to check, if not that may be the next thing to do).

Hope these suggestions help.
Thanks for the suggestions - much appreciate you taking the time. Will pass the info on to my garage. Tim: sounds like we have the same problem... will post if I have any luck my end

1 - 4 of 4 Posts