Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 C200 with the original carphone. The wires are fraying and it looks unsightly in the car.

1. Can someone point me to any instructions on how to remove it safely?
2. What replacement options do I have to use my Blackberry in the car?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 C230 SS
3 Posts
That's not the original phone. From the dealership, the phone would be in the center console, in the armrest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump!
Can anyone with more useful information help out?
Googling has not produced much info wrt the carphone. BTW car is in South Africa and a right-hand drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same cradle in a similar state but decided to repair the frayed cable and use a blue tooth adapter Viseeo MBU 1000 to connect to my 3GS iPhone. I purchased the adapter from eBay for about $250. It works very well. You can find out more info from ViseeO - Innovation and Competitive Advantage,ODM/OEM and After Market Products,Continuous Customer Relationship Building - MBU-1000,MBU-2000,ck390,ck391,Bluetooth Upgrade Kit. I am from Australia but my 2002 C200 Kompressor was built in SA. By the way, the cradle looks different because I attached the adapter for a later model Nokia that came with the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Armand49
My frayed wires is really bad (beyond repair). I think I will remove the cradle and wires entirely and buy a BT-enabled receiver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine was as bad as in your picture but no wires were broken so I decided to repair it. I bought a female headphone jack from an electronic shop and used the plastic cable relief part to replace the one that broke. I opened the cradle slightly after removing the screws and pushed most of the frayed cable inside except for about 2 cm. I slit the cable relief lengthwise and then wrapped it around the cable. Super glue and nylon cable tie secured the cable relief firmly to the undamaged section of the cable on one end. The other end of the cable relief was also tied with the nylon cable tied and placed inside the cradle before replacing the screws. The other options were quite expensive so I decided to go this way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Instructions for removing cradle from MB WIS attached. I considered replacing the cradle but found it too expensive at $500+. A viable option I explored was to relocate the phone cradle to the centre console using 2004 second hand parts but could not source it at that time. I would have preferred that option since it would look great.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts