Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I drove my car alot this summer lately and noticed that while there seems to be nothing wrong with the AC it cools fine etc sometimes I can smell what I believe is AC coolant in the cabin (usually for a short while early after the AC is engaged). It also appears to switch off completely if I lower the fan speed to minimum (0.5 on the dial) and there can be quite the delay before it comes back on even if I crank up the fan speed to maximum.

The car has now reached its 14 birthday and done just over 150,000 km (living in Switzerland). Is there any such thing as servicing the AC system in this car? I would hate to just leave it and find that preventative maintenance could help avoid AC failure down the line. In terms of its history I picked up the car 2.5 years back from the first owner that barely put 100,000 km on it in 11 years! He was after all an old man of 77 years!

Otherwise the car has been so very reliable, whether chugging along at 100-120mph for hours on end on the autobahn or around town :) Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Absolutely AC servicing is a thing. In German-speaking Switzerland it is Klima-Service, but I would try to drive it into Germany because I hate Swiss prices. You may have a refrigerant leak, but it usually doesn’t have much of a smell, and it would be unrelated to your fan problem.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,826 Posts
If you have a refrigerant leak, then it won't be long before you have no AC. If this has been going on for a while, and our AC still cools, then I suspect the odor is not refrigerant. Maybe exhaust? Coolant? Oil?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts