Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 1997 C280 Sport
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I dropped my key fob today and when it fell it opened. So i put it back together and everything was fine. the key does lock and unlock the doors but when u try to turn on the car it can only go to the positions that all the light on your dash are on then it wont go further. I tried with the spare key and it the car turned on with no problem. what is the problem?:bowdown::bowdown::crybaby2::crybaby2:

Some one please help

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,593 Posts
ummm, I'm sorry this is above my pay grade. I don't know how to mess with these little electronics. I hope someone else may help you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ummm, I'm sorry this is above my pay grade. I don't know how to mess with these little electronics. I hope someone else may help you.
you still helped my but by saying get a new key u mean the entire thing or just the metal part, just the key part thank you for helping:):):)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
check with your local dealer... so you have the smart key fob right?
the smart key? you mean the infrared one? the one with the big button on the top that you press to unlock and lock the doors yes I have that. and it does work it will unlock and lock the doors but it wont turn the engine on.
So what I have to do now is use the fob to lock/unlock the doors and then use the spare key the flat one with no fob to turn the engine on.

·
Registered
1997 C280 (Cambria).
521 Posts
the smart key? you mean the infrared one? the one with the big button on the top that you press to unlock and lock the doors yes I have that. and it does work it will unlock and lock the doors but it wont turn the engine on.
So what I have to do now is use the fob to lock/unlock the doors and then use the spare key the flat one with no fob to turn the engine on.
I dont think those keys are the smart keys.....and if im correct, only the 99 models had the smart key. Im pretty sure the 97s didnt though. The smart key is the key that uses electronics as opposed to an actual metal key to start the car. Its pretty nifty for 90s technology :)

Also, I have the same key you describe. Single big button. Is there only one button on yours? Im pretty sure mine doesnt have the remote start option (it was passed up on alot of options like heated seats/alarm etc) but I just recently figured out how to open the trunk with that one button so how do you start the car?

Im pretty certain that your key doesnt have electronics in it that would prevent it from starting. But I know the car has some sort of locking system where if its locked a certain way even if its unlocked again it wont start. These cars have tons of hidden features.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
I dont think those keys are the smart keys.....and if im correct, only the 99 models had the smart key. Im pretty sure the 97s didnt though.
1998 was the first year infrared keys were in the W202 in the US.

Shop around for new keys, the dealer prices vary considerably from region to region. If it's an infrared key it won't need dealer programming and shouldn't cost more than $200.

·
Registered
W123 230 1977 - S202 200 1996
109 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that, when your key came apart, the RFID chip fell out. This tiny chip unlocks your immobiliser.

So, go back to where you dropped it, get on your hands and knees and start looking. If you find it; put it back in the key behind the red plastic lens.

Here you can see what you should be looking for...
Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums - View Single Post - repairing broken W202 Key fob.
I have that black little thing. but just put jut it there it isn't attached to anything?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that, when your key came apart, the RFID chip fell out. This tiny chip unlocks your immobiliser.

So, go back to where you dropped it, get on your hands and knees and start looking. If you find it; put it back in the key behind the red plastic lens.

Here you can see what you should be looking for...
Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums - View Single Post - repairing broken W202 Key fob.
Holy shit man you saved my life and you saved me $200. I swear I love you thank you so much thank you:):):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:D :beerchugr::beerchugr:

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
It's always nice when you can help a fellow member; it's even more heart-warming when that fellow member is as clearly happy as you!:dance:

Enjoy the car buddy!:D

ps.

leonva :goojob:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I NEED HELP!!!!!
I HAVE A 99 W202 C280 SPORT PKG i bought a new key for the dealer and everything was working like a dream but one morning when i try to unlock just not work so i open from the back and try to star and was oky
but the next day just do not turn the key even the sound when you put the key in the ignition just nothing please someone any cluesss!!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't understand what do you mean by opening from the back. Can your key open the doors by pushing the button or do you have to put the key in the passenger key hole to open the doors? Check the batteries of the key and the battery of the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HI thegame11 that mean i can open all the lock when i open the trunk with the key and the batery are good it just a month i bougth from the dealer

·
Registered
'91 M1A1 Abram's Tank
2,538 Posts

If This black piece is missing I need a new key correct? Whats strange is I opened the key to my 96 c220 and it didnt have this piece it was a different layout then my problem 97 c230 key.

My keys IR works and keyless entry work, but the car cuts off as soon as it starts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts