Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1995 W202 C Class Elegance Sedan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 C200 - my LED gauges (outside temp, trip meter, clock) work just fine - my needle gauges ( engine temp, fuel, speedometer & tachometer) sometimes work, sometimes don't & there's a whirring sound which seems to be coming from the cluster when I turn the ignition off - whirring last for 10 - 15 seconds.

Any ideas please
Lou Wagner

·
Registered
96 C280
22 Posts
I have a 1995 C200 - my LED gauges (outside temp, trip meter, clock) work just fine - my needle gauges ( engine temp, fuel, speedometer & tachometer) sometimes work, sometimes don't & there's a whirring sound which seems to be coming from the cluster when I turn the ignition off - whirring last for 10 - 15 seconds.

Any ideas please
Lou Wagner
Hey Lou, did you get your cluster fixed or is it still the same? I have been having exactly the same problem for a few months and was hoping you will find the solution to it (other than "sticky needle contacts").

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem still exists - booked into my merc mech Mon 27th Apr - will keep you in the loop as to the outcome & would appreciate any new developments from you.

Cheers
Lou W

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
do the needles only not work when you first start the car? and then after a little bit of driving they start to work? if this is the case, they could just be sticky and need to be cleaned. there are several posts in this forum about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Usually first start for the day, they work fine - after that, usually nothing and that whirring sound really has me stumped.

Cheers
Lou W

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my 1994 c180. Here is what I got from the WIS DVD on this problem.
============
Cause

Vehicle speed signal (VSS) or RPM signal (TNA) affected by dampness or corrosion inside Kickdown cut-out relay module (N15) due to water entry.

Remedy

Install improved bracket and an additional cover for Kickdown cut-out relay module (N15).

Parts:
1. Bracket- part number: 124 545 26 47
2. Cover- part number: 202 545 04 46

Hope this would help.

Any ideas please
Lou Wagner

·
Registered
96 C280
22 Posts
do the needles only not work when you first start the car? and then after a little bit of driving they start to work? if this is the case, they could just be sticky and need to be cleaned. there are several posts in this forum about that.
At the risk of sounding stupid, I am going to ask this anyway.Can anybody please show or explain how to clean the gauges "where they sit or rest on the pins"? I have a 96 C280 with the gauges working only sometimes. I finally got the cluster out today and after removing the lens, I see the gauges but there are no pins there and the gauges are clean! The round black plastic piece in the pivot must be be sitting on a pin but I dont know if it needs to be pulled off or if I am not even looking in the right place. Please respond before I break this whole thing in frustration.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
there is a little needle, its black, that the orange needle will rest on when at 0. on our cars, the black paint on that black pin/needle will become tacky and the orange needle will stick to it, until the force is overcome. where ever the orange needle rests, there should be a black pin that doesnt let it go less than 0. if you dont have one... maybe your car is different, however ive never heard of that.

·
Registered
96 C280
22 Posts
Thanks liquid, on my car's cluster, there are no pins at all. The temp gauge sort of vibrates, as if it is trying to move but cant. I would think, it is a faulty little motor which moves it. What do you think? If it is the motor, can it be replaced
or is the whole cluster is a gonner?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks dzerfu - spoke to my merc mech re your reply - will check it out asap - I will keep you informed

Cheers
Lou W

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks liquid, on my car's cluster, there are no pins at all. The temp gauge sort of vibrates, as if it is trying to move but cant. I would think, it is a faulty little motor which moves it. What do you think? If it is the motor, can it be replaced
or is the whole cluster is a gonner?
This is the same problem I am having. The temp needle vibrates. Sometimes the cluster works, other times it does not. The odometer, temp, and clock are fine. I had the cluster out today while my wheel was already off to replace my combo switch. I split the cluster and did not see and bad components with the naked eye. So, I am wondering if it is the kickdown relay mentioned above. Perhaps I will just replace that first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
W202 Instrumental Cluster

Hello Lou,

1. Try cleaning the pins where the needles rest first. If that works it may be due to dampness or corrosion inside Kickdown cut-out relay module and you may need to change the bracket and cover. The bracket (part number 124 545 26 47) and cover (part number 202 545 04 46) cost EUR 1.47 each.

2. Don't start the engine while the cluster is dismantled. It will activate the airbag fault light and you need a resetting tool to reset the fault code.

Good luck

Thanks dzerfu - spoke to my merc mech re your reply - will check it out asap - I will keep you informed

Cheers
Lou W

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Lou,

1. Try cleaning the pins where the needles rest first. If that works it may be due to dampness or corrosion inside Kickdown cut-out relay module and you may need to change the bracket and cover. The bracket (part number 124 545 26 47) and cover (part number 202 545 04 46) cost EUR 1.47 each.

2. Don't start the engine while the cluster is dismantled. It will activate the airbag fault light and you need a resetting tool to reset the fault code.

Good luck
My cluster does not have pins. I am going to try the relay solution soon and will report back. Thanks.

Yes. I already had the cluster out and the battery was disconnected. I popped it out while after changing my combination switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My cluster does not have pins. I am going to try the relay solution soon and will report back. Thanks.

Yes. I already had the cluster out and the battery was disconnected. I popped it out while after changing my combination switch.
FYI, just found this in my service manual. So, will definitely give this a try first. I'll order the parts this week.

AF54.00-U-2002A Tachometer and/or speedometer intermittently inoperative 28.4.97
MODEL 202
Damage Code Cause Remedy
54 579 73 Vehicle speed signal (VSS) or RPM
signal (TNA) affected by dampness or
corrosion inside Kickdown cut-out relay
module (N15) due to water entry.
1 Install improved bracket and an
additional cover for Kickdown cut-out
relay module (N15).
Refer to Parts Information listed
below.
Production Phase-in: Approx. 3/28/94
Specific Literature Recommendation:
Electrical Troubleshooting Manual,
Model 202, Volume 1, Section 00, Page
00-B.2/2.
Parts ordering note
Part no. Designation Quantity
124 545 26 47 Bracket (Model 202) 1
202 545 04 46 Cover (Model 202) 1

·
Registered
2006 MB E350 4matic, 1996 MB C280
16 Posts
Where is N15 Relay

FYI, just found this in my service manual. So, will definitely give this a try first. I'll order the parts this week.

AF54.00-U-2002A Tachometer and/or speedometer intermittently inoperative 28.4.97
MODEL 202
Damage Code Cause Remedy
54 579 73 Vehicle speed signal (VSS) or RPM
signal (TNA) affected by dampness or
corrosion inside Kickdown cut-out relay
module (N15) due to water entry.
1 Install improved bracket and an
additional cover for Kickdown cut-out
relay module (N15).
Refer to Parts Information listed
below.
Production Phase-in: Approx. 3/28/94
Specific Literature Recommendation:
Electrical Troubleshooting Manual,
Model 202, Volume 1, Section 00, Page
00-B.2/2.
Parts ordering note
Part no. Designation Quantity
124 545 26 47 Bracket (Model 202) 1
202 545 04 46 Cover (Model 202) 1
Not to sound stupid, But I am unable to locate my N15 relay (Kickdown cut-out relay)
I have 1996 C280 and in the relay box on Left side, there is no N15, and on the right side, I see only one that might be the N15 but no lables.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
C200 Elegance
32 Posts
As suggested on another link the first thing to check if you are getting spurious and intermittent readouts is to ensure the instrument panel electronics have a good earth.

Joe

·
Registered
2006 MB E350 4matic, 1996 MB C280
16 Posts
I will check earthing this weekend.
I pulled out the N15 realy and cleaned all contacts and plugs.
Unfortuanately, nothing changed. When you start the cat the panel works, but if you turn it off and then restart, it does not.
May be I need to replace the relay???
Very Strange.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cluster sometimes works...

Same problem happens to my C230 as the clusters sometimes works and sometimes fails for unknown reason. When I switch on the car, if the dial does not have any response, then it will not work for the rest of the journey. I need to sort out what happens, anyway.:mad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts