Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 C280 W202
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone, I needed to replace my bonnet shocks (hood struts) recently but was left scratching my head how to do it, searching the internet high and low yielded no information, so I had to figure it out myself, with success in the end.

I thought I would document the procedure so that others can use it as a guide for their own 202’s.

You will need two new hood struts, OEM part number for reference: A2028800029, two flat bladed screwdrivers (one small, one slightly bigger) a needle nose pliers and two locking pliers and a pair of decent gloves for safety sake, lots of sharp edges in this area.

First, you must pry the two side tabs away with the small screwdriver (marked in yellow)

Next, you must pry up the top of the clip, it sits in a groove which holds the strut in place. Use a bigger screwdriver for this as you need a little leverage.

Once it is loose (it may break off) the strut can be removed, on my car (RHD) the passenger side (drivers side in US) could be lifted straight out, however on the other side (passenger side in US) it needs to be fed a specific way to clear the fuse box, it won’t come straight out.

Get the rod part of the strut (marked in yellow) to feed through the green section towards the front of the car (red area is where it won’t come out) once through it will come out easily.

Here is the clip once removed, new struts should come with new clips. If you drop the clip in the space below you can use a small telescopic magnet to retrieve it.
Open side of clip (as seen in picture) must face the fender, closed side towards engine.

Next, lock the two pliers onto the strut before and after the half sphere part, then, while holding the top section rotate bottom part counter-clockwise (red arrow) to loosen. You will need the two bottoms to attach onto new struts.

Groove that clip locks in to.

New struts ready to be installed.

Ensure clip hole lines up with hole in strut, otherwise installation will be difficult.

Once strut is located on the mounting piece, simply press on the side of the clip and on the bonnet hinge (marked in yellow) with the needle nose pliers to lock it in place. Once seated properly it will look the same as in the picture

No more falling hood

Hope this comes in handy for someone else.

·
Registered
1997 W202 C220
170 Posts
I need to replace mine as well, can you give me your supplier

Good day everyone, I needed to replace my bonnet shocks (hood struts) recently but was left scratching my head how to do it, searching the internet high and low yielded no information, so I had to figure it out myself, with success in the end.

I thought I would document the procedure so that others can use it as a guide for their own 202’s.

You will need two new hood struts, OEM part number for reference: A2028800029, two flat bladed screwdrivers (one small, one slightly bigger) a needle nose pliers and two locking pliers and a pair of decent gloves for safety sake, lots of sharp edges in this area.

First, you must pry the two side tabs away with the small screwdriver (marked in yellow)

View attachment 2644572

Next, you must pry up the top of the clip, it sits in a groove which holds the strut in place. Use a bigger screwdriver for this as you need a little leverage.
View attachment 2644573

Once it is loose (it may break off) the strut can be removed, on my car (RHD) the passenger side (drivers side in US) could be lifted straight out, however on the other side (passenger side in US) it needs to be fed a specific way to clear the fuse box, it won’t come straight out.

Get the rod part of the strut (marked in yellow) to feed through the green section towards the front of the car (red area is where it won’t come out) once through it will come out easily.
View attachment 2644574

Here is the clip once removed, new struts should come with new clips. If you drop the clip in the space below you can use a small telescopic magnet to retrieve it.
Open side of clip (as seen in picture) must face the fender, closed side towards engine.
View attachment 2644575

Next, lock the two pliers onto the strut before and after the half sphere part, then, while holding the top section rotate bottom part counter-clockwise (red arrow) to loosen. You will need the two bottoms to attach onto new struts.
View attachment 2644576

Groove that clip locks in to.
View attachment 2644581

New struts ready to be installed.
View attachment 2644582

Ensure clip hole lines up with hole in strut, otherwise installation will be difficult.
View attachment 2644583

Once strut is located on the mounting piece, simply press on the side of the clip and on the bonnet hinge (marked in yellow) with the needle nose pliers to lock it in place. Once seated properly it will look the same as in the picture
View attachment 2644584

No more falling hood
View attachment 2644585

Hope this comes in handy for someone else.

·
Registered
1996 C280 W202
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to replace mine as well, can you give me your supplier
Hi there, I’m in South Africa and we have a automotive chain store called Goldwagen where I bought the parts, dealer is an option but most likely quite costly.

I’m not sure what options you have in the Philippines, I did a quick google search and the only site I saw was euroautopartsph.com which could possibly have stock, maybe give them the oem part number as reference and they might have it otherwise possibly an eBay seller has it at a good price, I can’t help much further unfortunately.

·
Registered
1997 W202 C220
170 Posts
Hi there, I’m in South Africa and we have a automotive chain store called Goldwagen where I bought the parts, dealer is an option but most likely quite costly.

I’m not sure what options you have in the Philippines, I did a quick google search and the only site I saw was euroautopartsph.com which could possibly have stock, maybe give them the oem part number as reference and they might have it otherwise possibly an eBay seller has it at a good price, I can’t help much further unfortunately.
Thank you for the information you gave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts