Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
1998 W202 C200
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to undertake the replacement of the bushes.
Could someone please send me a copy of the WIS manual showing the orientation and instructions to replace the front suspension bushes. I see they are not symmetrical so need to be pressed in the correct orientation.
The old ones fell apart!!

Thank you
Paul

W163 and General M Gremlin
About to undertake the replacement of the bushes.
Could someone please send me a copy of the WIS manual showing the orientation and instructions to replace the front suspension bushes. I see they are not symmetrical so need to be pressed in the correct orientation.
The old ones fell apart!!

Thank you
Paul
Community Search, at the top of the page.
keywords ====> w202 lower control arm DIY
All the info is there in the search results.

Please read before posting to familiarize yourself with this forum:

If you could do all the potential readers a favor,
Please complete your BW registration profile
so members may better assist you, seeing and knowing what you drive.
Goto your ===> user CP profile====> click on your icon (top right corner of the webpage) ----> then click on "Account Settings"----> goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR (i.e. 01 ml320) into your Profile ----> (MUST) click save at the bottom of that page.
YOUR vehicle info will then show/display under your username & avatar (on the left side) once it is completed. If it doesn't display under your Avatar, it wasn't saved.
Members will then see your avatar car info & know what you drive if replying.

Registered
1998 W202 C200
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trust me - I have spent most of Saturday looking for information on the orientation of the bushes and can find only conflicting data from home mechanics. That is why I requested from the Mercedes WIS - I think they should have definitive information.

Registered
1999 C230 Kompressor
I've done this job and if I had to do it again, I would rather replace the entire control arms in 1 piece. You really have to have a strong industrial grade hydraulic press to remove them and press the new ones in.

Sorry, I don't have the WIS but I was able to see how the old ones were oriented and pressed the new ones in that same way.

Registered
1998 W202 C200
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice.
I asked the spares shop to show me the complete arm with bushes to find the correct orientation.
I have replaced the front bushes. Not so bad - hacksawed the old ones out and then used a 14mm threaded rod and various sized washers and spacers to press the new one in. I think maybe freezing the bush and heating the arm will make it even easier. Will try that when i do the back ones
Biggest problem were the springs - my spring compressors are the cheap ones. Cannot recommend those. Had one shoot across the driveway! No damage or injuries luckily.

Now I need to inspect the rear ones.

Registered
1999 C230 Kompressor
Nice, glad to hear. Usually the rear ones don't wear as fast as the front ones. And yes, I recommend the mercedes spring compressors where there are 2 plates on the top and bottom and one threaded rod that goes through the middle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts