Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Nissan Sentra
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie here and have been debating about the car I want to get. I'm debating between a W202 C36 or a W202 C280 with the M112 engine. There aren't many tuning options that I have found from Kleemann or Renntech for the C36 but Kleemann does have a very nice kompressor for the 2.8L V6. Has anybody found any good performance mods for their C36? Any pro's or con's to either of the cars?

·
Registered
C36 AMG
7 Posts
I say C36!

[:D]
Mod parts for C36? Who need that?
good luck
Yah, before I forgot, I got a C36 for sale. $9000 below bulebook.

·
Registered
2009 Porsche Cayman S // 2007 Mercedes E350
50 Posts
drive both cars and see which one you like.

the c36 is definately more sporty and has ...

drive both cars and see which one you like.

the c36 is definately more sporty and has a harsher feel to it, if you're looking for that. if all you're looking for is the engine, get the c36 hands down (you'll also be a proud owner of an AMG badged car)

although i'd definately check out the c36 thoroughly by mechanics before you buy it. the cars have a high chance of having been abused/raced/tracked (or at least from the ones in my area)

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
I too say C36. The c36 will always be nicer than a mod'd c280. There isn't much you can do...

I too say C36. The c36 will always be nicer than a mod'd c280. There isn't much you can do to an AMG, but more beefy exhuast, air filters, and maybe a supercharger. Personally I like naturally aspirated engines more. If they are the same price, C36, but if the 36 is way more the 280, than it's a different game.
Once you go AMG, you won't go back.

·
Registered
'95 Nissan Sentra
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I say C36!

I got a C36 for sale. $9000 below bulebook.
Got any more specifics than that? How much is bluebook on a 36? I've seen prices ranging from 20,000-25,000 depending on year and mileage.

·
Registered
'95 Nissan Sentra
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The C36 will be more expensive than a C280 but I would buy the Kleemann supercharger for t...

The C36 will be more expensive than a C280 but I would buy the Kleemann supercharger for the C280 and after that there really wouldn't be much of a price difference between the two. In fact a used 36 might cost less than than supercharger for the 280. I;ve been able to find exhaust and air filters for the 36 and ECU upgrade but an ECU upgrade in a NA car doesn't really do much. I think i'm gonna try to find a C36 to drive and see how it feels. I can get more power out of the C280 eventually but it would be expensive. So if the 36 has enough power I'll definitely go with that. Plus then I could have an AMG and that just sets you in a class above the rest [:D]

·
Registered
E55 AMG 2004 SILVER ALL OPTIONS + AMG LSD + more mods to come
42 Posts
i own a c36 and have driven a c280... no comparison, c36 normally are fully loaded with ...

i own a c36 and have driven a c280... no comparison, c36 normally are fully loaded with all the toys, nice looking kit , AMG spec everything... oh yeah and an engine that leaves the c280 behind!

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
Why bother comparing these cars?
Go C36.
If you can pull it, get a 43....

Why bother comparing these cars?
Go C36.
If you can pull it, get a 43.

·
Registered
1997 C36 AMG
53 Posts
Re: The C36 will be more expensive than a C280 but I would buy the Kleemann supercharger for t

The C36 will be more expensive than a C280 but I would buy the Kleemann supercharger for the C280 and after that there really wouldn't be much of a price difference between the two. In fact a used 36 might cost less than than supercharger for the 280. I;ve been able to find exhaust and air filters for the 36 and ECU upgrade but an ECU upgrade in a NA car doesn't really do much. I think i'm gonna try to find a C36 to drive and see how it feels. I can get more power out of the C280 eventually but it would be expensive. So if the 36 has enough power I'll definitely go with that. Plus then I could have an AMG and that just sets you in a class above the rest [:D]

I don't think Kleeman has a supercharger kit for C280 V-6 yet.

Although seem that what intially compared were C36(I-6) and C280 I-6

There are currently no supercharger kit for the I-6 engine, unless it is custom made.

My advise is test drive both car, then decide.
Like many have said, once you go AMG it is hard to go back...

go AMG ... :D

Here is my lovely C36

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Kleeman DOES have a supercharger for the V6! with this alone the hp of a 280 is more than ...

Kleeman DOES have a supercharger for the V6! with this alone the hp of a 280 is more than the C36, add a chip and its more than the 43!

·
Registered
1997 C36 AMG
53 Posts
Re: Kleeman DOES have a supercharger for the V6! with this alone the hp of a 280 is more than

Kleeman DOES have a supercharger for the V6! with this alone the hp of a 280 is more than the C36, add a chip and its more than the 43!
Oh good I didn't know that Kleeman has released V-6 supercharged.

Even with supercharged I still doubt the performance will beat the C36.

A while back there is an article of C280 Mosselman twin turbo vs C36.
although C280 producing about the same hp and torque, but C36 still left it in the dust.

C36 torque is pretty flat, I doubt it either C280 turbo or C280 supercharged will be as flat.

Also C36 with chip is the way to go... [:D]

305hp/309 lb-ft http://www.powerchipgroup.com/products/showchip.asp?pid=Mer0024

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
Re: Re: Kleeman DOES have a supercharger for the V6! with this alone the hp of a 280 is more t

I'd like to see that test. I cannot imagine how they managed to fit two Mosselmans onto the V6...

The person testing must have been pretty useless - managing one car to be quicker than the other when the hp, torque, weight and drive train are the same on both!

Please believe me, a supercharged 280V6 will out perform a 36, except in the mid rev range...

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG
95 Posts
A supercharger for a v6 wouldn't do much good! Last time I checked they were I6....

A supercharger for a v6 wouldn't do much good! Last time I checked they were I6.

·
Registered
1997 C36 AMG
53 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Kleeman DOES have a supercharger for the V6! with this alone the hp of a 280 is mo

I'd like to see that test. I cannot imagine how they managed to fit two Mosselmans onto the V6...

The person testing must have been pretty useless - managing one car to be quicker than the other when the hp, torque, weight and drive train are the same on both!

Please believe me, a supercharged 280V6 will out perform a 36, except in the mid rev range...

I never said it was V-6 C280
it was C280 I-6 with mosselman Turbo

It was a back issue of 1996 European Car if I am not mistaken. I forgot which...

Basically off the line C36 kills the C280, before the C280 turbo spool-up to build some power, C36 already has torque everywhere.

By the time the turbo is spooled-up the C36 already become a dot in the horizon (this was the quote from the magazine)

Also I never heard any supercharger kit for MB I-6 engine (not off the shelf kit, it probably special custom made if anyone has it)

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
I totally agree - if it were a turbo we are talking about..
The Kleeman is a supercharger...

I totally agree - if it were a turbo we are talking about..
The Kleeman is a supercharger which requires little or no spool up.
I deduce you might be from Germany? If you are near Frankfurt, I'll meet you someday and show you!!

Dont get me wrong, the 36 was a great car, it paved the way for AMG marriage to MB and it led to a profitable cult, but technology moves on - we now have the 200K developing nearly as much as the 280 and the C32K developing nearly as much hp as a C55...

I did hear that someone put a bank of turbos on the inline 6 a while back - I thought it was a 36, but maybe it was the 280 you saw. If you can remember which magazine it was in, let me know as I would really like a copy for posterity.

·
Registered
E36 AMG & C36 AMG
135 Posts
hi everyone! i have only recently joined! i got a rare E36 here in the uk. which is w210 amg car with the same engine as the c36. they only made these cars in small numbers in right hand drive. anyway, i found this post on google becuase im looking for information on how to super charge my 3.6 litre m104 inline six.

anyone know if i can use a 200 kompressor? i seen one fro sale on ebay. even if i get 20-30% increase in power that would be cool. i think my car has already 5-10% more power than any US c36 becuase the emissions laws here are not as strict! that was certainly the case with my 300E 24 sportline 1991 with 231hp. i think they were around 213-217hp in the us.

but anyway, im looking for a cheap and effective way of retrofitting a super charger from another mercedes model onto my 3.6l m104.

any suggestions would be much appreciated!:)

thanks

·
Registered
1993 Black 320CE with Brabus B6 tune, AMG Gen I kit and Aero II wheels
106 Posts
hi everyone! i have only recently joined! i got a rare E36 here in the uk. which is w210 amg car with the same engine as the c36. they only made these cars in small numbers in right hand drive. anyway, i found this post on google becuase im looking for information on how to super charge my 3.6 litre m104 inline six.

anyone know if i can use a 200 kompressor? i seen one fro sale on ebay. even if i get 20-30% increase in power that would be cool. i think my car has already 5-10% more power than any US c36 becuase the emissions laws here are not as strict! that was certainly the case with my 300E 24 sportline 1991 with 231hp. i think they were around 213-217hp in the us.

but anyway, im looking for a cheap and effective way of retrofitting a super charger from another mercedes model onto my 3.6l m104.

any suggestions would be much appreciated!:)

thanks
No, the M45 off the 200 is far too small, if you were to use an eaton blower it would need to be an M62 or even an M90.

·
Registered
E36 AMG & C36 AMG
135 Posts
eaton blower

thanks for the reply EVLC36, what cars were the M62 or even an M90 fitted too?

·
Registered
1993 Black 320CE with Brabus B6 tune, AMG Gen I kit and Aero II wheels
106 Posts
thanks for the reply EVLC36, what cars were the M62 or even an M90 fitted too?
The Buick 3.8 used the Eaton M62, or you can buy them new. Not 100% on the M90

I bought one for my C280 ages ago with the intention of S/Cing it, but ended up just getting a C36 for a good price.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts