Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents.

I must admit im not sure what the feature on the backseat is called. Im guessing im not the only one with a w202 C250 that has a button on the middel console which "roughly described" has a seat on it and displys an arrow at the headrest.
I was told if the button is pushed the headrests in the backseat should pop up and down.

In my case when the button is pushed i hear a "clicking" from a relay maybe, but nothing happens. Anyone know if the mechanic is a part of the vacuum system?

·
Registered
1995 C280
272 Posts
That is part of the vacuum system. Mine stopped working for awhile when the vacuum tube got pulle doff the intake manifold by the oil filter. It's hard to see the attachment point on the intake manifold. I think it's pretty common for that to get pulled off during an oil change. I would check that first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Dzy.

So its a separate vacuum system from the central locking system?
My central locking system is working fine.

·
Registered
1995 C280
272 Posts
It's a separate line. I just went through a complete vacuum system check so know the system pretty well now. All underhood vacuum lines lead to a valve under the cover on the passenger side up by the firewall. One line leads into the cabin to control the vent system. I can look when I get home, but I want to say the line to the intake manifold is green. It runs along the firewall at the top and then connects to the intake manifold. When that line was pulled out on mine, my headrests did not work. I assumes the kids broke them somehow (they love it when I use the button to drop them). Once I reconnected that line by the oil filter, everything worked again.
There must be some isolation valves in the vale block under the hood. Everything else worked fine for me without that intake manifold tube. It was just the headrests that didn't work.
Find your il filter and then look for the vacuum line that runs near it (there's only 1 over there). If you see it dangling then that's your problem. If it's not, then it's something else. I didn't go into the actual mechanism that locks/unlocks the headrests so it could definitely be that too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just "semi" checked the line you where talking about.

Im guessing the line you are talking about is the black tube that is actually just above the mani running along the firewall (about 2 feet long) shown in the picture above. The tube seems ok but il have a closer look tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1995 C280
272 Posts
I just checked and it's the white-ish line on mine. It comes from the intake manifold (nearer the firewall side), runs across the firewall and goes to a 90 degree connector and then into the vacuum block under the cover (on the right in your picture).
Now that I think about, I don't know why that line coming off would have only affected the headrests, but it did.

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
Hello gents.

I was told if the button is pushed the headrests in the backseat should pop up and down.
I think all it does is let them go down, up is manual, at least that is how mine works.

·
Registered
1987 300e (W124) - 223K miles, 1995 C280 (W202) - 250K miles Sold
226 Posts
It's the same on my W124 (`987 300E). The button/switch just drops them; it can't raise them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts