Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm currently looking for information regarding the electrical cooling system. My w202 C230 has been running hot lately and I noticed the electric fan wasn't kicking in. So far I've checked the fuses (which seemed apparently ok) and tested te fan by connecting it directly to the battery, by doing so it started working perfectly which makes me think the problem might be on some relay or the coolant temperature sensor. Nonetheless I can't locate any of those. Is there anybody who has dealt with this problem before and can guide me a little further? I'd appreciate the help

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hi.
I'm currently looking for information regarding the electrical cooling system. My w202 C230 has been running hot lately and I noticed the electric fan wasn't kicking in. So far I've checked the fuses (which seemed apparently ok) and tested te fan by connecting it directly to the battery, by doing so it started working perfectly which makes me think the problem might be on some relay or the coolant temperature sensor. Nonetheless I can't locate any of those. Is there anybody who has dealt with this problem before and can guide me a little further? I'd appreciate the help
Welcome GabrielM,

Please scan for codes and post here.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hi and welcome... The coolant temp sensor should be in front of the engine, behind the black cover with the star logo on top. To test, simply unplug electrical connector and start car, fan should go full blast and you should be 'cool' until you change it, if that's the issue.

Top advice as directed: scan and get the codes. You may unplug just for now, to be safe from overheating. If it's the problem fan will spin, if not, it's something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcoming. I took the cover off and disconnected what I thought was the sensor. Didn’t turn the car on, just ignition to RUN position, nothing happened. To confirm, is the coolant sensor the one with two pins located in the front? (See picture) . That was the one I disconnected.

P.S.: I’m sorry about the dirty (and kind of disgusting) the engine bay is. I just got the car after it’s been sitting for almost a year straight on a driveway. A little neglected, but hopefully that will change soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way. As soon as I get to read the codes I will post an update on that. I know that’s the thing to do but I don’t have the tool at home. I also was wondering if there was a fan relay and where could that be located. As I said, I tested the fan with the battery and started working. Im guessing the trouble I’m having could be in any obvious open circuit (relay, sensor, fuse...).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts