Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 C230 US version (1/97 production, W202), 168.5k miles
I needed to replace a couple of bulbs in the cluster recently, no problem. All working fine.
This afternoon, I was running an errand and noticed the gauges were zero (but fuel quantity was vibrating), although the idiot lights were fine. I got home and then the gauges worked. Then they didn't. So I pulled the cluster out again and reseated the connectors in the back, and nothing. Then they worked, so I reinstalled the cluster. And zero again. So I pulled the cluster to see if anything looked amiss; No. And still zero.

But now the odometer shows 000000. Not the trip odometer, but the total mileage odometer.

I am at a loss. Is this thing possessed? Is this an issue with the connection to the ECU? Or is the cluster failing/failed? How can the odometer zero itself?

Thanks

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,601 Posts
likely a cluster failure. It is very rare that an ecu would fail like this. check the main connector, clean it out properly and see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking through the Bentley manual and cannot find where the main connector is located that you mention.
The gauge failure seems to be intermittent, but annoying just the same. Saw there is a resister fix, that I can do.

·
2,906 Posts
I would recheck/ reinstall the one cable harness connector that goes into the back of the cluster. It has the snap lock at the end of the harness to ensure proper fit and connection. Keep the cluster out while you troubleshoot, and jiggle it to see if its a (loose) connection with the cluster or harness somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the status is as follows:
Resister installed on fuel gauge. All gauges now work consistently. Snap-locks fully engaged. Feels solid.
The odometer is still reset and I think it is now displaying in kilometers.
I have documented the mileage when the odometer reset, but how do I get it to display in miles? Is there software I can access via the obd-II port to resolve this issue?
Thanks!!

PS I am highly loathe to let a stealer (previously known as dealer) touch the car.

·
2,906 Posts
Ok, the status is as follows:
Resister installed on fuel gauge. All gauges now work consistently. Snap-locks fully engaged. Feels solid.
The odometer is still reset and I think it is now displaying in kilometers.
I have documented the mileage when the odometer reset, but how do I get it to display in miles? Is there software I can access via the obd-II port to resolve this issue?
Thanks!!

PS I am highly loathe to let a stealer (previously known as dealer) touch the car.
Cheers for reporting your cluster fix.
Update the members with your DIY steps so others can learn from your experience.

As for the conversion, I believe your only option is to use the Star system (presuming you have a digital mileage readout).

Please update your user cp info.
click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
add your make model YEAR ----> click save

1 - 6 of 6 Posts