Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1994 C180 Engine with 1995 Chassis PMS Engine 38 Pin OBD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone able to ID this part for me ? I was replacing the bushes on the stabiliser arm yesterday and had the car up on the ramps. Once I was finished I had a quick look around underneath and noticed this part resting in the gap between the metal brake lines and the firewall ... sort of at footwell level behind the pedals but in the engine bay.

The only work I can remember having done on that side of the car (RHD) was new brushes to the alternator and then a new head gasket and banana branch manifold installed about 3 years ago. The 3 year old rattle is now also gone ..... now I can remove the twenty packets of cable ties I've used over the years :)

It's a metal cylinder, some sort of alloy as it's relatively light and 35mm long. It looks like a belt has been rolling over it but it could be machine markings as there are no wear marks or grooves in it. I just hope it didn't fall out when they did the head job !!!

·
Registered
2015 C300 4Matic, 1978 240D
657 Posts
It looks like the steering idler arm bushing, but there are hundreds of parts that look exactly like that on a W202.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
141 Posts
^ that's what I thought too, idler arm bushing, but it could be anything... that's the only thing I've seen looking similar

·
Registered
1994 C180 Engine with 1995 Chassis PMS Engine 38 Pin OBD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for coming back, guys. I went to check the steering and all seemed to be ok. I checked all over the engine bay and discovered that the part is a spacer for the fuel rail. There is one towards the front of the engine and another two towards the rear BUT there is a vertical pin on the inlet manifold which looks like it will take the spacer, only it will not be supporting anything. I can't see any reason for putting it back. What I do remember after seeing it is that when the head gasket was done I remarked that a spacer was missing on the rail. They put one on before I drove away. They possibly dropped that one, couldn't find it and hoped I wouldn't pick it up on inspection. They must have bought another one to fit.
The existing pin has the same internal diameter and height as the spacer in the photo.

It appears that they also mangled the Allen head bolt on the rear of the fuel rail. It's totally mushed and an Allen key will never get in there again. I've just bought a spare bolt but how does one extract a bolt like that ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts