Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new "problem"... If i hit 4000 rpm in 1st gear...MY REV LIMITER KICKS IN!!! this is NOT SAFE when trying to accellerate onto a busy interstate! I searched the forum, and found nothing -any fixes or ideas?

It ONLY does it in 1st - any other gear i can run it up to 6k just fine!! AAARGH!:eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, do u really need to use 1st gear into that high rev? For me, 3rd gear into a real busy on-ramp is pretty sufficient. And my 1st gear never really exceeds 2500 rev.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an automatic transmission, it is "typical" for it to reach 5000 rpm in first gear, when going from a dead stop (my street) into 70 MPH traffic (Highway 98, in florida) You HAVE to be quick, or get killed..

·
Registered
42 Posts
oh...ic, cuz here in Hawaii, 90% of the on-ramps have a long road for you to get started, plus the fastest (Speed limit) you go can here is 55, which usually is 50, so I guess that is why I never had a problem, haha. Sorry for not able to help though, hope someone has a better idea!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
What about switching it into "W" mode so that way you'll start out in 2nd and be able to redline that gear.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
oh...ic, cuz here in Hawaii, 90% of the on-ramps have a long road for you to get started, plus the fastest (Speed limit) you go can here is 55, which usually is 50, so I guess that is why I never had a problem, haha. Sorry for not able to help though, hope someone has a better idea!!
Man what a contrast from driving here in So Cal. If you are driving less than 80 mph here then you better get in the slow lanes wiht the big rigs. There are some freeways here that everyine is driving at least 90 mph. The speed limit is usually 65 to 70 mph but no one does it. If you don't get on a freeway fast you will get run over...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Its an automatic transmission, it is "typical" for it to reach 5000 rpm in first gear, when going from a dead stop (my street) into 70 MPH traffic (Highway 98, in florida) You HAVE to be quick, or get killed..
Have you checked the codes, that sounds real unsafe to me too.
I want to know my car has all the power I need when I need it...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you checked the codes, that sounds real unsafe to me too.
I want to know my car has all the power I need when I need it...
There are NO codes. and as far as the w/s switch - Mine doesnt have one! Its a 95

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
**bump**

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
* bump bump* Anything??

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the same problem with my C220 Classic (Auto).

I can only ever get up to 2000 rpm in first gear. Only when I get to 4th gear the rev's start going up to 3000 and 3500 rpm - by which time I'm doing 120+ km/h. And I can feel that the engine has plenty of power... if I could just get to it.

The other problem is that the transmission does not down-change - even when I use the kick down - it still does not change down. This makes it a nightmare when coming onto an on-ramp and into high speed freeway traffic and overtaking is impossible.

If I approach an uphill in 4th gear and I'm at a low speed then I just have to trudge up the uphill (or manually put the gear into the 3 position)

My mechanic says that either the sensor in the gear box is faulty/dirty or something wrong with the accelerator cable being too slack. My next service is in a few days time and I intend to get the transmission serviced as well and get to the bottom of the problem -

I'll keep you guys posted on the cause and solution of the problem.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fixed!!!

If anyone has this problem.... go buy the 2 nylon bushings for your transmission linkage. Replace them and adjust the linkage bar if necessary ( it adjusts at the shifter end, the trans end is fixed.)

the reason you are hitting rev limiter in gear is because the trans is IN gear, BUT the switch on the trans still thinks its in neutral, therefore it enables the rev limiter to "protect" the car. I still am looking for a way to remove the limiter all together if anyone knows how to...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but everytime I have disconnected my battery the car will not go over 4000 rpm (in all gears). Remember I have a manual transmission. However, after about 15 minutes of normal driving it goes away and only returns if I have disconnected the battery - could there be a loose / unreliable connection of some sorts; a relay or something?

·
Registered
387 Posts
If it's a diesel and the motor isn't hot, it's very bad for the engine. So maybe this is normal operation.
Mine does it too from time to time if I have the transmission in S-mode. I mostly drive in W mode because with my diesel engine it pulls better. (more torque)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts