Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just began driving my wife's '91 190E 2.6 and immediately ascertained that the rear deck speakers will need upgrading. The rear deck in this car has some unconventional sheet metal in the speaker area seemingly precluding installation of anything other than another 4' speaker. Has anyone put larger speakers in, and how did you go about it?<br> <br> Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello. I have an '84 190D... so it may be a bit different for you than it was for me. But the back shelf in my car was just a carboard like material that I just cut and used a rasp to put some 6 1/2's in it. It is tight back there, since the back window is RIGHT there, took me a while to do. If the sheet metal you are referring to is what you see in the top of the trunk, it's not a problem unless you have some deep beastly speakers that the magnets won't fit down in there. Take out the 4's and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just simply remove the stock speakers, cut bigger holes in the cardboard, drill holes, put the screw clips around the holes, and drop in your speakers. I cut off the connectors from the old speakers and put them on my new ones.<br> <br> That is all I had to do.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those stock 4' speakers are pretty pathetic aren't they? I an going to eventally put some really nice 4's in the front too. I may put 6x9's in the back too. The 6 1/2's I put in there distort pretty easily. I also put a pioneer cd player in it too. Sub woofers may be something I will do eventually, but I am afraid that the alternator is too small. 55A... :( I will have to do my math and ask around to see if putting amp capacitors will allow me to have subs. I have seen 70A alternators for my car, but then I have to get a new voltage regulator...<br> <br> If you have any info on this, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts