Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

I've been looking for my first Mercedes (long time admirer) for a couple of weeks now. I'm looking for a 190e and have been soaking up as much info as I can before I buy.

I've just looked at a 1989 G reg 190e 2.0l saloon and was wanting a quick bit of advice, here's the lowdown:

119k on the clock, all electrics work, drives well, autobox seems good with smooth changes and good kickdown, no rust anywhere (not even boot channels and arches).

I managed to time it so I got to start it from stone cold and it had a bit of trouble on cold idle and kept cutting out for the 30-60secs of stationary running. Also it blew a bit of white smoke from the exhaust when I gave it a good rev but then ran clean and smooth once done.
The previous owner only ever did local trips so maybe just some dirt buildup or something more serious?

What do you all reckon?

He wants £950 for it but is a used Saab dealer so could probably take a fair bit off that with the waving of some cold hard cash. :p

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's white but only lasts until the engine is up to temperature then runs clean, even under hard acceleration.

What do you reckon?

·
Registered
W124 300e
3,355 Posts
but stefan, it goes away after its warmed up, if it was the headgasket i think it would be blowing white smoke all the time.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E
122 Posts
Personally I'd jump on it. The cold start problem could be due to the cold start valve being iffy, it happens. Also the white smoke could of been due to it sitting and gathering a bit of water in the exhaust. I'd risk it, but that's just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
W124 300e
3,355 Posts
im 100% with you on that, it could be becuase it sat for so long. i really doubt its the headgasket.

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
The best way is to bring a mech with you to check it out (mine behaved the same way upon start and after opening the head-gasket there were a couple of shot spots in the cylinder one area on it that allowed the water to come in as cold and closing the gap when warmed...I talk here strictly from my experience)

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,951 Posts
White smoke can be water vapours and condensation inside the exhaust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I might leave it for now as I don't have a mech friend handy to give me an opinion.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll let you all know when I find one.

·
Registered
1985 190E 2.3 Auto
234 Posts
Yeah, I just did my H.G. and it did the same at first. It would puff white then go away, eventually it was all the time. The funny thing was that the H.G. was replaced and the mechanic that must have done it screwed it up, so it didn't last very long (I hope mine last)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts