Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,713 Posts
I have seen differentials in the JY's with very little backlash. Just waiting for a lower mileage one, hopefully I did not miss the boat, at the moment the JY's are drying up of W201's. One every 3-4 months now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm going to keep my eye out for an ASD from the JY. I am in the same situation hard to come by 201's in the first place at the local JY's
Thank you everyone for the help.

·
Registered
1992 190 e
74 Posts
To measure the endplay/backlash, I found the following guide:

1) Raise the rear end of the car
2) Lock the drive shaft end of the differential (prevent it from moving turning)
3) Lock the left wheel (prevent it from turning)
4) Turn the right wheel until it is in driving condition
5) Make a chalk mark in the 12 o'clock position on the tire (on the right wheel)
6) Now turn the wheel in the opposite direction until it is in driving condition and make another chalk mark on the tire (in the 12 o'clock position)
7) If the chalk marks is less than One inch apart, the endplay/backlash (slip.) should be within tolerance and should not be the cause of the clunk noise.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,713 Posts
Interestingly, I had done this exact procedure in the past and came up with less than half an inch and mine is still clunking. One inch is a lot of play. Where did you find the guide? And is the guide for manual or auto transmission?
Auto transmissions do not clunk as readily as manuals.

Most automatics in the yards, I would say are 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch. This is just personal observation and no science behind it.

- Cheers!

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6
226 Posts
Interestingly, I had done this exact procedure in the past and came up with less than half an inch and mine is still clunking. One inch is a lot of play. Where did you find the guide? And is the guide for manual or auto transmission?
Auto transmissions do not clunk as readily as manuals.

Most automatics in the yards, I would say are 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch. This is just personal observation and no science behind it.

- Cheers!
I have absolutely less than half an inch of play and clunking with my auto. Could be considered normal?

·
W201 Moderator
2,713 Posts
Any kind of clunking is not a good sign but I'm surprised you get that with an automatic. I have never owned or driven an auto so can not speak to that. I wonder if your "clunk" is different than the backlash in the differential.
You get this when you let off the gas pedal abruptly, is that correct?

BTW, my personal opinion is that there is not enough of a dampening effect to not transmit the clunking noise to the body. I'm blaming the poor design in the differential mounts for the W201 on that one. I believe they maybe different than the W124.

See if anyone agrees .....

·
Registered
1992 190 e
74 Posts
Dolucasi- I searched this forum and found that procedure.

I think we are forgetting wear in the CV joints that would add to the slop in the drive train. Sorry I never had the rear end or the CV joints apart yet.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts