Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good engine swaps for the 91 190e 2.3-8v :confused: i was thinking an sr20det, 1jz, 2jz, or an rb-series type engines.

Which one of these will work with minimal too no modifications to the engine bay?? its fine if there is some, but this is just my first car (literally) and i want a little more "umph" out of it. :D

If these listed engines wont fit, what other engine swaps are out there?

·
Registered
131 Posts
M103 2.6 or 3.0
M104 3.2 or 3.6AMG
16V Cosworth

Why Japanese crap?

What are some good engine swaps for the 91 190e 2.3-8v :confused: i was thinking an sr20det, 1jz, 2jz, or an rb-series type engines.

Which one of these will work with minimal too no modifications to the engine bay?? its fine if there is some, but this is just my first car (literally) and i want a little more "umph" out of it. :D

If these listed engines wont fit, what other engine swaps are out there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because the jdm motors are in more abundance than the German ones, and much cheaper too. I can get a sr20 black top for about 2k

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
It would only take similar MB engines without major modifications.

Check out 190rev.net
They have a few engine swaps there.

·
66,891 Posts
What's wrong with the 2.3 8V?
I love this engine, it a big 4 cylinders and it's got good gas mileage, why fix something that ain't broke?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's wrong with the 2.3 8V?
I love this engine, it a big 4 cylinders and it's got good gas mileage, why fix something that ain't broke?
Well.. I don't mind the engine.. But the sr20 has good gas mileage (if I keep my foot out of it) and it gives me that rush when the turbo kicks in

·
66,891 Posts
The 190E is one heavy car and I think your JP engine isn't going to be a gas sipper once in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 190E is one heavy car and I think your JP engine isn't going to be a gas sipper once in there.
i heard the 190e weighs around 2900lbs, and the 240sx(which the sr motor came in) weighs about the same

·
Registered
74 Posts
I remember reading a thread of someone putting an LT1 in his 190E. The thread died before he finished but im sure if he did finish the car had that excitement factor you are looking for. Then again im sure its not just a bolt in project.

If you are not happy with your 2.3 8v I will happily take it off your hands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember reading a thread of someone putting an LT1 in his 190E. The thread died before he finished but im sure if he did finish the car had that excitement factor you are looking for. Then again im sure its not just a bolt in project.

If you are not happy with your 2.3 8v I will happily take it off your hands.
yea, i wouldnt mind a V8, my dad has a 350 small block in a sand-rail that he never uses anymore... i don't think he would mind if i "borrowed" it... but i want to keep the car as light as possible(that's the reason for the Sr20det).... i want to destroy my neighbors twin turbo 5.0 mustang(fox-body mustang)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
yea, i wouldnt mind a V8, my dad has a 350 small block in a sand-rail that he never uses anymore... i don't think he would mind if i "borrowed" it... but i want to keep the car as light as possible(that's the reason for the Sr20det).... i want to destroy my neighbors twin turbo 5.0 mustang(fox-body mustang)
If it's a stock SR, I say good luck! Haha. If you're building the motor then you stand a fighting chance.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
There are shops in Thailand that routinely use Toyota sixes in the W201. Apparently the Nissan ZX differentials can be used as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My guess is that the Thai's are using the tried and true Toyota straight six which is nothing more than the engine from a 1950's chevy. I doubt they are building a hot rod. Weight of a 240SX is 2600-2700 lbs. A 190e is at least 2900 lbs. They are comparable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.