Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I recently removed the turn signal arm/stalk to try fix it because when signal flashes also high beam was on.

However, 3 cables that soldered have broken. Now I don't have any info which cable was connected to which pin. The broken cables are white, green and blue.

Can anyone help me if he got a picture or a broken stalk to examine the color order?

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, Lofty. I've taken a few pictures of inside of the stalk.

ImageShack Album - 30 images

That white plastic piece is the switch part of high beam. In my case it burnt/melted because of 100W bulbs ??? -instead of standard 65W- and that's why high beam turns on when I use the signal arm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If there is a relay then the plastic piece is really really off-grade... Plus corrosion at the contacts causes electricity resistance and it causes heat.

It should be harder & resist to heat. Mercedes, can you hear me? :p

In the case of necessary:

Black: Ground
Blue: I
Green: II
White: III
Purple: Washer

·
Registered
A160 W168 /2002
546 Posts
I know I'm old school but this is why I stick to what's fitted as standard , where you higher wattage bulds have caused problems with over heating the new low energy bulbs cause problems in that they do not use enough energy for the indicators to work correcly, if at all.
Yes you can fit capaciters etc but it's moving aware from the standard vehicle spec which can cause problems.

The stalk complete although yes quite pricey can now be obtained from a number of the good car spare companies and it is cheaper than gioing to MB parts, although that is not the case with all spares .

It respect of Mercedes Hearing you!, 'There's none so deaf as those that don't want to hear'. They won't even listen, if they did the W169 would have had less faults .

·
Registered
A160 W168 /2002
546 Posts
Well if your fix works well done, but I'd start saving for a new switch nothing lasts for ever
even after surgery.
great photos.
Take care.
Lofty

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've discovered that my A160 has no relay nor low beam neither high beam. Low beams ok because they use main switch (real cables+real contacts) however 10.8 amp for stalk is tooo much.

I'm gonna mount a twin-relay.

·
Registered
A160 W168 /2002
546 Posts
I'd cut my costs and labour and fit a new switch. Unless you have a clear understanding of cab-bus you will knacker something else by fitting extra relays. If it isn't already fitted as standard then it shouldn't be necessary if everything is working correctly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts