Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4 (sorry!)
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Unfortunately, for fans of BIG luggage compartments, the LR Sport will not be an alternative to the W164: According to German auto mag "auto, motor und sport" the LR Sport has a luggage compartment of 450 litres, exactly as the W164 (below the luggage cover, and without counting the underfloor storage space.

I hate to say this, but the Lexus RX's luggage compartment totals 439 litres - with the rear seat in the rearmost position. Slide it forward (up to 17 cms), and you stuff a hundred litres more in than in the W164 or LR Sport.

Birger

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,117 Posts
Birger - 4/15/2005 3:14 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately, for fans of BIG luggage compartments, the LR Sport will not be an alternative to the W164: According to German auto mag "auto, motor und sport" the LR Sport has a luggage compartment of 450 litres, exactly as the W164 (below the luggage cover, and without counting the underfloor storage space.

I hate to say this, but the Lexus RX's luggage compartment totals 439 litres - with the rear seat in the rearmost position. Slide it forward (up to 17 cms), and you stuff a hundred litres more in than in the W164 or LR Sport.

Birger
Birger, you've got to get over this size thing. Don't feel inadequacy-just use what you have to it's best potential! [:)]

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Why do I get the feeling we're speaking in euphamisms? On that note, it's not what you have (vehicle), it's what you have (cargo) and how much you can fit in your rear cargo area.

[;)] [:D]

And on that note, I'm more of a fan of the W163's rear and the W463 (461) rear compartment. Of course, the Toyota 4Runner has excellent cargo capacity as well as the Chevy Tahoe and Ford Explorer.

Everyone has different needs. Get whatever works best for you. [:)]

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
BrentG500 - 4/15/2005 10:15 PM

And on that note, I'm more of a fan of the W163's rear and the W463 (461) rear compartment. Of course, the Toyota 4Runner has excellent cargo capacity as well as the Chevy Tahoe and Ford Explorer.

Everyone has different needs. Get whatever works best for you. [:)]
While I value cargo capacity, it's just one part of a complete vehicle. How often do you pack your truck to the gills? While the W163 seems to be marginally larger, the W164 still seems above average in that regard. Like you say, everyone has different wants / needs, but we're talking 10% smaller here not 30.

4Runner, Tahoe and Explorer do not belong in ths same conversation unless you are disregarding the overall vehicle and counting only cubic feet.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
GregW / Oregon - 4/15/2005 12:32 AM

How often do you pack your truck to the gills?... 4Runner, Tahoe and Explorer do not belong in ths same conversation unless you are disregarding the overall vehicle and counting only cubic feet.
GregW, I often pack my truck to the very back (construction materials, luggages, groceries, camping gear, stroller, etc.). And yes, [:)] I am disregarding the overall vehicle and counting only cubic feet.

I love Mercedes-Benz gobs and gobs but in today's market I would definetly put the Toyota, Chevy and Ford SUVs in the same basket with MB. Every one of these vehicles have things that about them that make them stand out.

If it were my choice, I would take the best things that each of these vehicles (all the SUVs) have to offer and then create the ultimate vehicle.

For now though, I have to pick what best suites my needs. In terms of cargo space, the ML is put on the CON side of the list. [:D] [:)] It's still a very nice unibody truck though. [:D]

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
There's one number we don't know yet, the total cabin capacity. For comparison, all taken from MBUSA's website:

W163 cabin capacity: 146.0 cu ft
W164 cabin capacity: TBA
W463 cabin capacity: 124.0 cu ft
W220 cabin capacity: 105.0 cu ft

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: My "obsession" with luggage compartments

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for your comments.....

Certainly, I know this thing about luggage compartment size of the W164 to some may seem to being my obsession. [;)][;)]

However, I have on several occasions used every cubic inch of storage space in my W163's (and also in the Explorer and the Town&Country that preceded them), so it's an important feature to me.

And I guess I'm incurable, as I've had this tendency for a long, long time. OT, I recall a hilarious trip from Madrid, Spain to Denmark. Three normal-grown persons, the belongings of two of them that had spent a year in Spain, plus 4 wheels & tires - all in the middle of winter.

Check my avatar and my album, and you'll see that it's gotten worse over the years. I guess I'd be able to fill even a Ford Expedition, if I were allowed, so maybe the shrink-sized luggage compartment of the W164 will be a way out of this ever-increasing luggagemania [;)][;)]

Cheers,
Birger

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
RE: My "obsession" with luggage compartments

@Birger, did you see this one? Apparently one can remove the second row seat completely, as an option, and then get 2162 Liters, which would be more than the W163 VDA figure. For some reason I found it on the server in Belgium [:D]

"<B>De M-Klasse, een ruimtewonder</B>

De nieuwe M-Klasse is niet alleen comfortabel, maar ook een geniaal vervoermiddel. De laadruimte is een echte transformatieartiest. Geen wonder dat zijn laadconcept wordt beschouwd als het beste in zijn klasse.

Met een kofferinhoud van 497 liter kan de nieuwe M-Klasse al met de gewone koffer een en ander vervoeren. Als u meer plaats nodig hebt, kunt u de in een verhouding van 1:2 deelbare rugleuning van de achterbank neerklappen en de zitkussens naar voren opklappen. De zitkussens zijn ook uitneembaar waardoor een vlakke laadruimte tot 2,10 meter lang en een inhoud van 2050 liter (VDA) ontstaan.

Als nog meer laadruimte vereist is, kan de hele achterbank worden verwijderd (mogelijk als optie) waardoor een laadruimte van <B>2162 liter</B> ontstaat. In elk geval vergemakkelijkt de uitklapbare laadvloer het in- en uitladen. En de lading kunt u goed vastmaken aan zes standaard sjorogen. Als optie is een railsysteem beschikbaar. Als u er met een aanhangwagen op uit wilt, geen probleem: de M-Klasse kan tot 3,5 ton trekken."

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
W164 luggage compartments

From the Mercedes-Benz press release:

"Maximum load capacity stands at 2050 litres, exceeding that offered by its predecessor model by 30 litres (VDA measuring method)."

From www.mbusa.com:

Cargo capacity: Floor to ceiling (with rear seats lowered). 85.4 cu ft/2,418 liters.

·
Registered
2002 ML320, 2013 GL450
416 Posts
on which www.mbusa.com site.

I just saw it now and it says:

72.4 cu ft / 2,050 liters (rear seats lowerd).

I don't even see the option for rear seat removal.

This extra cargo room could push me towards the W164.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
RE: W164 luggage compartments

Wolfgang - 5/22/2005 6:56 PM

From the Mercedes-Benz press release:

"Maximum load capacity stands at 2050 litres, exceeding that offered by its predecessor model by 30 litres (VDA measuring method)."

From www.mbusa.com:

Cargo capacity: Floor to ceiling (with rear seats lowered). 85.4 cu ft/2,418 liters.
Where on the website? This is from the ML3250 Specifications page under "Dimensions":

Cargo volume floor-to-ceiling3 29.4 cu ft/833 liters (rear seats in use), 72.4 cu ft/2,050 liters (rear seats lowered).

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
RE: W164 luggage compartments

GregW / Oregon - 5/22/2005 8:19 PM
Where on the website?
Greg, that's the figure given for 1998 and 1999 MLs.

====> <a href="http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/pre-owned/overview/overview_engine.jsp&subNav=overview&yearModelCode=99_ML320&class=99_ML&rnav=012345678&menu=2_4&spec=0&category=4"> 1999 ML320 dimensions</a>

2006 ML: 2050 liter
1998 ML: 2418 liter

Amazing Mercedes-Benz claims 2050 is larger than 2418. I smell hot air!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Explanation on an earlier post ;)

Hi,

Seeing that this thread has come alive again, I'd like to further explain something I wrote a month back - which wasn't very clear:

And I guess I'm incurable, as I've had this tendency for a long, long time. OT, I recall a hilarious trip from Madrid, Spain to Denmark. Three normal-grown persons, the belongings of two of them that had spent a year in Spain, plus 4 wheels & tires - all in the middle of winter.
Now, that's nothing exceptional, really. But it changes a bit when you consider that the vehicle used was an '70 Austin Mini panel van like this:

Cheers (particularly to Greg and Wolfgang)

Birger

1 - 13 of 13 Posts