Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As promised. Here is the step-by-step procedure for the LED tail light upgrade, including the Star Diagnosis recoding procedure.

For those interested in Bi-xenon upgrade, please see my other post for step-by-step procedure!

I'd be happy to help, esp. with Star Diagnosis recoding, which is the hurdle for most owners!

Notice that I bought a set of the Euro spec LED tail lights, with the amber (yellow) turn signals, which I prefer to the red.

(for those interested, I have a pair of LED tail lights and corresponding SAM available. Of course, I am looking at selling the original halogen assemblies as well.)

View attachment Tail Light LED Retrofit procedure.pdf

View attachment Star Diagnosis Variant Coding.pdf

D23_5280 licence plate out.jpg

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
One of the SAM part numbers in your document--164 440 41 01--returns "nothing found" in EPC. Also in trademotion. Wonder if it's a typo?

Is additional programming required if factory trailer hitch is installed?

Could you post part number of the "euro" taillights?"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, did not realize there were responses to the thread till just now:

1. Yes, I ran into the same problem with EPC--orphan part nos. even when I plug in my CDI rear SAM part no. it's like it never existed! nope, 4101 is not in the EPC either, that's why when I bought it I bought it with faith! Faith and hope I should say, and mainly based on the fact that the SW and HW dates were in 2009. I even called MB parts and the person on the line told me I got the wrong no., which is IMPOSSIBLE. The newest and current part no. is 7200, and at MB parts dept it's being sold for some ridiculous $650 or so. They are called the stealership not for no reasons.

2. 4601 is a newer part, and I would expect, it should work. What are the SW and HW dates? I would suggest checking on that. Anything 09 or later would give you a fair chance. I believe MB keeps the least no. of active parts at one time--one part that fits all vehicle--current and older.
Unfortunately not even EPC can tell you with 100% confidence whether a certain part will work or not.

3. part nos for the Euro lights--need to look them up.

4. trailer hitch--yes, like everything else on the SAM, it has to be programmed to work.

I do have a pair of used but in great condition Euro spec LED lights plus a pair of US spec (red signal lights) and a rear SAM that I know for sure works with these LEDs. Anyone interested please contact me.

For those who are contemplating doing this (and other stuff) on their own, maybe we can work out something such that I would rent out my Star Diagnosis system over a short period. postage should not be that bad for the system.

I really am trying to see if we can make after-sales work on the consumer end easier! I hate that the car-makers are making these projects virtually impossible! We have a right to do whatever to our cars!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I had the Rear SAM installed last week for my OEM hitch install by the dealer. I will poke back there today and check the HW/SW Dates.

Do I need to move all the plugs etc. since it's an 2006?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I am not sure if I understand what you are trying to do. Are you trying to move a rear SAM over from one car to another?
And I am not sure what you mean by moving all the plugs...
The procedure to change the SAM and the lights is as published. Let me know if anything is unclear...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whether the red wire needs to be relocated will be apparent once you look at the back of the brake lights. The red wire is part of what's call the repair kit on the light. Now why would there be a repair kit on a brand new car I have little clue, only suspicions... of a conspiracy on the part of MB. Can explain separTely

·
Registered
557 Posts
I was looking into doing the LED light upgrade myself, but for my R class. Another forum member noted that the new R class LED lights do not have light reflectors as the older ones. That is why MB put reflectors on the bumper of the 2011 R model... So just replacing the lights without the bumper could be unsafe and illegal... I think the new ML also has reflectors on the bumper right?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are accurate in saying that there is no reflector on the new LED tail lights. Not that I have confirmed, but reasoning tells me that the old halogen has a reflector.

Unsafe: I would disagree. The LED is so bright you can see from a distance. Sure, the reflector reflects from different angles, etc etc. I am happy enough with safety.

Illegal: maybe, never looked into that issue per se. Again, it doesn't worry me, but for those who are concerned, a stuck on reflector would take care of it, I suppose?

Now this I am not sure: whether the new R class LED assembly will fit onto the old body. And I would imagine the same will hold true, that the rear SAM will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Just curious if the new lights fit the existing brackets? The 3 screws of the existing frame of the R class are in totally different spots.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again, I don't really know if the new R class LED light will work with the old body. If you already know the screws are in different places, i guess it doesn't fit.
As to the reflector issue, yes, it enables people to see you from afar when lights are not on, but again, I am not really concerned. When there is light, there is no need for it, and when it's dark, I have to have some 32 LEDs ALL dead to not have any light in the back.
I did think about maybe changing the bumper to the MY09-, but unless I can find something really cheap, it's overkill for a set of lights. I enjoy little upgrades, but I try not to let myself go overboard.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz ML-550 AMG 2008 Complete Edition
6 Posts
I can confirm that the rear sam Part number 164-440-46-01 are the correct reprogramable real sam, last week I do this upgrade to my ML 550 2008 and it work great!!! with no error in the system...
Thanks GOD.

All that you need is both Tails Lights (Parts #164-906-44-00 and 164-906-45-00 and the Rear Sam Part #164-440-46-01, them you need to found some one that can reprograming you rear sam to use the new LED tails lights.

·
Registered
W164 ML500
18 Posts
overcoming the SAM

I can confirm that the rear sam Part number 164-440-46-01 are the correct reprogramable real sam, last week I do this upgrade to my ML 550 2008 and it work great!!! with no error in the system...
Thanks GOD.

All that you need is both Tails Lights (Parts #164-906-44-00 and 164-906-45-00 and the Rear Sam Part #164-440-46-01, them you need to found some one that can reprograming you rear sam to use the new LED tails lights.
Hi, is there any chance to overcome the SAM. I wonder if it would work if you put fuses or resistors in wiring of the LED OEM tail light?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not aware of a resistor that can bypass the need to reprogram the SAM.
as far as I understand, the led works well apparently except for a persistently on fog light.
Unless one install a new switch to the fog and bypass the sensor in the car, I wouldn't think there would be an easier way...
As i can see it, advantage of reprogramming:
1. Led functioning at the prescribed voltage and current, and may have implications on longevity of your light;
2. All component and circuit sensor (for blown bulbs) will be functional

I certainly understand that the archilles heel of the whole exercise is the star diagnosis in developer mode to reprogram the SAM...

This is what I propose to those of you who wish to program your SAM but have no access to a star diag, since I believe the SAM actually stores the last programmed setting done by a star diag:
1. Send me your SAM and I can program it for you;
Or alternatively, if you cannot park your car for the duration:
2. I'll preprogram a Sam to your cars options, send to you as a temp spare. Then send me you sam to reprogram, and swap again.

Details can be discussed, but I can certainly do that for those interested in the job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do the same think that I explain, because in MERCEDES BENZ, all the funtions depend for computers, in this case the rear SAM.
If you try to do other option, is very possible to cause a big electronic problems.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pozo1478 is right, the best way to do it is to install it and then program the SAM.
BUT, HOW? Where do you get a Star diagnosis? For most people it is IMPOSSIBLE to have access to one! Not sure where Pozo 1478 is located, but a Star Diag in developer mode is particularly hard to get a hold of in North America.

I am almost certain what I propose is a good option. I am confident that there won't be an electronic failure by swapping SAM.
However, the pre-requisite of that is programming the substitute SAM CORRECTLY. Is that hard to do? NO! That's not hard to do, as long as I know the particular options on your car, which isn't a long list of things for the rear SAM anyway. I'll put another post up on the various components that the rear SAM commands.

Pozo1478 and others, if you know of anyone with a SDS in developer mode, please post them, so maybe we can start to compile a list of available SDS for our retrofit community.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To reprogramming the REAR SAM, you need to visit a Mercedes Benz authorization Dealers; Try to find a some in your area that work with this type of vehicle and them ask that you need to reprogramming the REAR SAM for LED Tail Lights.

Note: If your vehicle are 2009-2011, you don't need to buy the REAR SAM, just buy the 2 LED trail light and them is just programming.

I'm From Dominican Republic, Next to Puerto Rico.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts