Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a question about the color combinations of the W164 interior. With the macadamia leather option, is the center console/dash color black, grey or macadamia? I know that it is surrounded by wood, but is the upper portion surrounding the air vents and extending to the upper portion of the dashboard to the glove box going to be gray as shown in the "Build your own"? My preference is upper black, seats macadamia.

I remember in the W163, the first few years had the upper portion black. After MB gave it a minor update, it became similar to the color of the seats.

To illustrate my point about the interior color in the W164, here are some pics:

Thanks in advance! [:)]

·
Registered
2007 GL320CDI
357 Posts
I thought the upper half was a dark brown. See the photos from GCF below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aleveran - 3/31/2005 5:44 PM

Who was the designer? A straight guy? [:D]
It was either a distraught woman [:D] or a homo. [xx(]

In that second picture that I posted, I think it would look better if the gray area was black. I am not really a fan of the dark brown upper console/macadamia leather seats, as shown in the prototype pics.

Another thing, why call it "macadamia"? Why not just name it tan or yellow or "sand"?

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that's a good name. I'd like option BLONDE* with this vehicle.

*to find out what option blonde is, go to search and in the keyword box, type option blonde. When the search results come back, hit the "New G-class spy pics" link. Scroll through the posts and you'll learn what option BLONDE is.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,248 Posts
Another thing, why call it "macadamia"? Why not just name it tan or yellow or "sand"?
It’s all marketing. For example, the light tan color leather in other MBZ vehicles is referred to as “stone�. Of course it could have been called “sand� or even “sandstone�, but “stone� makes it sound stronger and more solid. “Java� sounds more warm, cozy and inviting than “tan�. Exterior colors get more interesting with names like Fire Mist Red, Obsidian Black, Capri Blue or Even Brilliant Silver. These names were chosen for their ability to make buyers think of the vehicles as being “sporty�, “stable�, “strong�, “exotic�, “smart�. To sell, you need the buyer to get excited about the vehicle and generic names like black, white, silver, green, red and blue just don’t do that.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Macadamia

Nuts. When you say macadamia, I think of nuts. And then when you say the color choice for your seats is called macadamia, I think nuts and then remember the sticker price.

I understand the whole marketing concept. I prefer the interior of my car to be known as sand or sandstone. Honestly, I think this new ML has been the subject of poor marketing. The PR/Press shots didn't emphasize the best curves of the ML, the "macadamia" seats have been shown with three different types of dashboard colors (brown from the PR shots, black from the MBUSA cargo picture, and gray from the Build your own), and the price is through the roof.

My guess is Mercedes Benz learned that making a product more affordable brings in the type of people who demand alot (quality, reliability, service and satisfaction) from their vehicles, versus the rich and elegant people who can afford to pay beyond the sticker price. If these people have any problems with their cars, they can easily write a check for another one and forget about whatever problems they may be experiencing. Thus the higher priced vehicle will draw away those people who came to the W163 because of it's affordability.

Here's a picture of the cheap shot I can't stand:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts