Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a flickering lcd cluster on my 2010 ml350. I take it to the mechanic and he offered a used part. He plugs it in and gets "-----" as the mileage.

He plugs his computer in to program the milage and forgets that Mile and Kilometers are different he then goes and enters Kilometers in the miles field. But the display still show "----"

We plugs the old cluster back in now we have the top part lcd damaged more and flickering and the Mile is UP 35k. When he try to program it down it won't go down.

What can I do please help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,844 Posts
Were you able to start the eng. with the used Inst. Cluster?

Mileage on the used cluster showed OOOOO because MB does not allow changing the mileage so when unscrupulous people want to sell their vehicle with lower mileage.

M/B is the only one who can extract the true mileage and transpose it to a virgin cluster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It didn't show 00000 it showed ------ the car was able to start, but I out the old cluster back in with the bad screen. I need to fix
1. Cluster lcd
2. Correct milage

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,991 Posts
Just to clarify what's happening here, the vehicle's odometer value is stored both in the ICM (instrument cluster) and EIS(electronic ignition switch). If they ever do not match, then the cluster will display "------". This is why you cannot (easily) drop in a used cluster. SDS (MBZ's Star Diagnosis System) has the ability to copy the odometer value from one part to the other, but that only works when the replacement part is a new, virgin unit. If the part (ICM or EIS) has already been coded to another car, or has more than about 60 miles on the odometer, it cannot be re-coded to copy the odometer value.

However, there is a way to do this. You must erase the odometer value stored in the used part's EEPROM and then it will appear as a virgin part and SDS will re-code it. There are tools that can do this, but they are generally too expensive or too difficult (i.e. requires soldering tiny surface-mounted chips) for most individuals to use. So, there are shops you can send parts off to and they will do this for you, for about $200. You can then use SDS to code it as if it were a new, virgin part.

I am not posting this to suggest a method of odometer tampering. I only mention this because as these vehicles get older, MBZ will stop supplying parts and new clusters may be unavailable. Also, the cost to have a new cluster installed can be prohibitively (i.e. more than the value of the car) expensive.

If the problem you have with your cluster is a bad LCD, I agree that the best course of action is to replace the LCD. However, flickering is often not the LCD panel itself, but electronic components on the cluster's circuit board which can't be repaired. Also, these circuit boards use circuit boards made of flexible Mylar that will degrade and crack over time. These also cannot be repaired, so cluster replacement may be the only option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts