Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
W163 2001 ML430 and 1999 ML320
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a w163 year 2000 Mercedes ml430 and the gears are starting to slip a bit.
In this car my gear shifter goes as far as "D" but in my 1999 ml320 it slides over to "4" and then down to "3" and "2" and "1".
I assume these gearboxes or their parts aren't interchangeable but I'm wondering if anyone has come across this before & is it common.
I'm not certain but I think this transmission is called 722.6
Thank-you.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,292 Posts
Nick, why don’t you try flushing the old fluid out of the tranmission? Couldn’t hurt.

Use a sheet 236.14 ATF, e.g. Fuchs Titan 4134 from Bursons. Buy 15 L for the full flush. I have also found Ravenol ATF M 9-serie at Imparts.

You could also get your codes read. High-level OBD2 scanner required.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Nick
Please add make and model to your Avatar. Avatar click, account settings click, scroll to vehicle..

Ok is it that the shift lever itself is moving or loose and sloppy or is the lever staying put but the dash indicator is moving?
The shift lever is a giant electric switch it is only connected by wires no linkage to trany at all.

If dash indicator could be a issue with the transmission pin connector or the conductor plate, there are other items but those are the first 2 and most common issues. Are you leaking fluid?

Start with a fluid level check that is the cheapest. if low top it off for now.
I use Valvoline Max Life it is approved as well.

Then if good, as drx says a fluid change! But if you are to do that you should be sure the pin connector and conductor plate are good, or just replace them anyway. And as the good doctor said you need a live scan while driving.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,292 Posts
The shift lever is a giant electric switch it is only connected by wires no linkage to tranny at all.
I think there’s a mechanical linkage to operate the parking pawl.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nick, why don’t you try flushing the old fluid out of the tranmission? Couldn’t hurt.

Use a sheet 236.14 ATF, e.g. Fuchs Titan 4134 from Bursons. Buy 15 L for the full flush. I have also found Ravenol ATF M 9-serie at Imparts.

You could also get your codes read. High-level OBD2 scanner required.
Thank-you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nick
Please add make and model to your Avatar. Avatar click, account settings click, scroll to vehicle..

Ok is it that the shift lever itself is moving or loose and sloppy or is the lever staying put but the dash indicator is moving?
The shift lever is a giant electric switch it is only connected by wires no linkage to trany at all.

If dash indicator could be a issue with the transmission pin connector or the conductor plate, there are other items but those are the first 2 and most common issues. Are you leaking fluid?

Start with a fluid level check that is the cheapest. if low top it off for now.
I use Valvoline Max Life it is approved as well.

Then if good, as drx says a fluid change! But if you are to do that you should be sure the pin connector and conductor plate are good, or just replace them anyway. And as the good doctor said you need a live scan while driving.
Thank-you.
I had no idea the gearshift was a giant switch unlike older cars.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Thank-you.
I had no idea the gearshift was a giant switch unlike older cars.
So is the stick itself a bit sloppy and not staying put? Because there are other items that could be at fault.

I suppose one test would be to put in drive and some how secure the lever or have a second person hold it in place being sure it does not move as see if you get gear change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts