Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, like the title suggests, can you fit a nav unit from a W163 into a W203? My friend has a spare one laying around and seeing as to how people want $300 for them on Ebay and how little W203s are in junkyards I'm debating on trying to drop his nav unit in.

I would put an aftermarket unit in but I have Bose. I'd put an Aux line in too but my car is pre facelift so idk what else I could do

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,845 Posts
Possibly, but you wouldn't gain much. The W163's "MCS" unit is pretty rudimentary. I'd go aftermarket. You will need to run some new analog wiring to the trunk to bypass the fiber optics and Bose amp, but that's fairly easy. There are channels under the door sills for wiring.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I would follow rudeney's recommendation. Go aftermarket. More options vs. this dinosaur.

My son recently swapped out the w163 oem bose double din with an aftermarket unit. Bypassed the FO bose amp, re-wired the speakers using ONLY the bose amp connector (gutted the amp itself). Disconnected the bose sub-woofer (not really a sub-woofer, they call it the "acoustimass bass module").

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ehhh idk how I feel about rewiring all of it though. I may just keep holding out for a COMAND W203 or W220 in the Junkyard then if that means I dont have to re-wire the audio system for a simple Aux input.

COMAND should be plug and play though right? It just needs to be coded to the car and have one of those wiring adapters off Ebay?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,845 Posts
No coding, but forget using the NAV - it will not have the proper antenna, nor the speed signals from the CAN bus.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alrighty then. Honestly as long as I can have a way other than Burning CDs to listen to my own music I'm happy. Also thanks for the suggestion Hutch but I had one of those in my E39 and it was a piece of shit to be honest. It would freeze up, make the speakers screech, SWC wouldnt work all the time, etc.

W203 and W463 share the same parts right?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts