Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz ML430
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just a week back I changed my transmission valve body. And when the older one was in it stopped shifting gears. I think it went into limp mode because changing the valve body and solenoids didn't change it(as previous one showed signs of tear).
I am a bit confused is to do I need to reset the TCM or it could just be something else because I tried shifting the gear manually it hardly responded. Please do advise.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,914 Posts
You need to clear the codes in the TCM and the ECU with a pro level scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,542 Posts
Clarification did you change valve Body our conductor plate?!Have not heard of anyone complaining about a bad valve body, though I am sure it happens

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz ML430
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clarification did you change valve Body our conductor plate?!Have not heard of anyone complaining about a bad valve body, though I am sure it happens
Actually the conductor plate had shown signs of tear and because of the lockdown getting only the plate from the dealer was going to take a while so sourced out a plate with conducted valve from used dealer. Tested all the solenoid and gave prefer results so just changed it. But the previous valve was already not letting the car shift it would go to hear like it's being forced and wouldn't shift gears. And even after change it still doing the same thing.

·
Registered
2001 ML320 LHD
713 Posts
You must clear the codes with a pro scanner else it won't act like you changed anything.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz ML430
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You must clear the codes with a pro scanner else it won't act like you changed anything.
Okay thanks trying to source out a scanner for it to work as Mercedes dealer is asking around 500USD.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz ML430
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same sort of issue, it has to be learnt in , my faults kept coming back until this was done
Okay thanks, still trying to figure out the right scanner tried a few but still wouldn't clear of TCM codes.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz ML430
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have a STAR and the scanner tool that I used doesn't seems to read the TCM so. Trying to look in to get a better one but due to the lockdown it's kind of making it hard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah my tool doesn't read the TCU but will wipe the codes even if they don't find them, obviously they come back straight away, my brother used this one which could go deep into everything

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz ML430
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think mine has a software issue because it scanned my dad's 2014 gl63 TCM and the ecu with allt he rest but mine it only seems to scan the ecu and rest. Doesn't give any code or such so yeah looking for a scanner willing to work for a older model

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think mine has a software issue because it scanned my dad's 2014 gl63 TCM and the ecu with allt he rest but mine it only seems to scan the ecu and rest. Doesn't give any code or such so yeah looking for a scanner willing to work for a older model
am I right in saying you put a conductor plate from a donor car into yours ??? if so I believe they are meant to be re programmed to yours ? if you had your old one reconditioned then that wouldn't be needed.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz ML430
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I took it from a donor car low milage, but the conductor plate on mine has already shown signs of tear and had issues when shifting as it would jerk like the engine was about to come loose. So before I replaced it I thought to do a good service of the transmission and saw the issue and tried to fix it with some high pressure glue them I put it back and for one drive it was shifting and everything seemed okay. The next day I had to go the a different state so. When I started it it would past first gear. Then a consultant told me to replace the plate and it would fix a lot of issues as my transmission didn't have any problem. So I tried getting new one but t lockdown is being a bitch so I then sourced one from a donor and fixed that part but it still seems to be stuck the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I took it from a donor car low milage, but the conductor plate on mine has already shown signs of tear and had issues when shifting as it would jerk like the engine was about to come loose. So before I replaced it I thought to do a good service of the transmission and saw the issue and tried to fix it with some high pressure glue them I put it back and for one drive it was shifting and everything seemed okay. The next day I had to go the a different state so. When I started it it would past first gear. Then a consultant told me to replace the plate and it would fix a lot of issues as my transmission didn't have any problem. So I tried getting new one but t lockdown is being a bitch so I then sourced one from a donor and fixed that part but it still seems to be stuck the same.
I have a feeling it needs to either be coded to the car or learned in, a decent scanner should do it but yeah this lockdown isn't doing anyone any favours, I have managed to do all of mine through this as some places are operating but at a minimum. its so frustrating when these things don't go as planned.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes-Benz ML430
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a feeling it needs to either be coded to the car or learned in, a decent scanner should do it but yeah this lockdown isn't doing anyone any favours, I have managed to do all of mine through this as some places are operating but at a minimum. its so frustrating when these things don't go as planned.
Yeah but I am kind of like confused as to if a pro scanner can re code and also relearn or is it like two different thing??
Trust me I have two car a ml430 and Skoda Fabia mk1 VRS I have been working all my self on both of them to avoid getting to a dealer or store and waste up time as they would just say " or product and services may delay due to the current lock down".

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,542 Posts
I am not doubting anyone here and the codes shoulded be cleared. Also I have yet to replace mine. But I have watched several videos on replacement and I do not recall any one saying it needs to be coded?

If it does I would like to know.

·
2,829 Posts
Conductor plates on 722.6 trannys do not need coding/reprogramming.

EDIT: HOWEVER, you can reset transmission adaptive shifting. This is not the same as coding/reprogramming. I've done this simple procedure for neighbours / colleagues that purchased new-to-them older MBs with the 722.6 transmission so that they can apply their own style of driving on their new used purchase.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts