·
Registered
ML-320, 2002
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
My car is ML w163.
I bought the radio 2DIN Kenwood.
How to install the radio to make it work through the original amplifier and subwoofer?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
If its the Fiber Optic version MCS you have in your ML then it cant be done.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Please full out your profile with your year, model, and location do we can help you more.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
It's a no go brah!

There is a reason were all not rocking new units! If it were as easy as a harness and 500 bucks for a sweet new double din.... You would not see any MCS's out there. All you need to know.

There are many variations to make things work but your asking for the fiber optic MB holy grail. It does not exist.

My MCS currently is down, trust me I know. This has been covered to death. Anyone will simply advise you to the search query.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
81 Posts
It's possible idk why everyone is saying it isn't. I had a Kenwood DNX6990HD installed in my ML320 and still use the Bose amp and sub. I had it installed professionally at a local audio shop. Only thing I lost was the CD changer but I don't care about that since I use my iPhone for music.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
Well I have gone to 2 pro shops and heard mildly diff stories. I wonder about up-sale a lot.

They are both very familiar with Benz products. My truck is like a boat, I'm pissed its either radio or suspension! Pro shops for a whole new package looking at 1.5k head, amp, speakers and install. I'm sure it would be way better. I may do it. Still in R and D.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
81 Posts
I paid about $1,500 but I had $999.00 head unit plus a $200 Back up camera installed. On the receipt they listed all the parts they used that they had to use to bypass the fiber optics. If I find the list I can send you the name of the parts they used.

·
Registered
2003 ML55 AMG - 2005 E55 AMG
316 Posts
I think the question becomes: Does your AMP run on fiber-optic or ONLY the cd changer.

Some only have fiber optic for cd changer, and they are good to go with a couple of converters, but if your AMP is fiber optic, there is no way to do it.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic
81 Posts
I think the question becomes: Does your AMP run on fiber-optic or ONLY the cd changer.

Some only have fiber optic for cd changer, and they are good to go with a couple of converters, but if your AMP is fiber optic, there is no way to do it.
They used the Bose amp on mine and I'm that is fiber optic

·
Registered
2000 ML430
104 Posts
I guess i was lucky. I have the 2000 ml430. I found a dash install kit with antana adaptor on ebay. I was able to install a 2din Kenwood unit. I was able to use the factory amp and sub. I also installed a powered sub and new speakers in the doors. If any one is looking for the factory head unit and the 4 bose speakers im letting them go cheep. They all work fine.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
I guess i was lucky. I have the 2000 ml430. I found a dash install kit with antana adaptor on ebay. I was able to install a 2din Kenwood unit. I was able to use the factory amp and sub. I also installed a powered sub and new speakers in the doors. If any one is looking for the factory head unit and the 4 bose speakers im letting them go cheep. They all work fine.
Wanna let us all know what you installed for Head Unit and Speakers and how to make it work?

·
Registered
2000 ML430
104 Posts
Well we both have the same vehicle,, so you dont have to worry about fiber optics. Once you get the dash install kit ( good luck ) I looked high and low for the kit,,ebay only. My head unit is a Kenwood

·
Registered
2000 ML430
104 Posts
Sorry,,,A Kenwood DPX308U. The sound is much better than the MB unit. The Bose speakers wernt broken but they are old and would not sound good with a new high deff unit. The speakers i picked up were Scosche HD ( Front doors 6.5 inch 250w) Back doors,, same brand (5 1/4 inch 200w). Dont let the low price for the speakers fool you. I had the same speakers on my last vehicle. They out preform some speakers at double te price. I had it installed at a shop near me, and like i said he was able to use the factory amp and the sub under the drivers seat. IT CAN BE DONE.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
45 Posts
I've been curious about this. Some install kits for other vehicles require wiring and splicing to work right, in my experience. Does the kit you bought simply plug in to the radio and wiring harness, or did you have to do some cutting and wiring yourself?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,135 Posts
For a 2000 you can use the VW/Audi install adapter and the unit will plug right in.
Then a wire from the head unit just triggers the amp and subs in your truck.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
45 Posts
Awesome, that's good to know. I don't have the Bose system so that'll be a good time to upgrade the speakers and/or add a sub if necessary.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
104 Posts
No cutting involved. The dash kit came with a wiring harness, antena adaptor and all that you need for the job. I went with a small 8 inch powered sub because the sub under the drivers seat is abit small.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts