Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Ml55 2002
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents.
I need new headlights as mine are rough. Seen a nice set of halogen headlights, however mine are standard hids / zenon.

If I buy this set of halogen headlights, can I just take the bits off my set onto the halogen set and make them a hid set I. E. Balaster, height adjustment, etc?

Anyone converted a set?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
575 Posts
The HID lens and the halogen lens are two different benz part numbers but I do think the only thing that makes them different is the projector itself installed on each one at the factory. There was a YouTube video I watched where he retrofitted different. after market projectors into an ML lens. In the video they just unscrewed from the back so I’m not a hundred percent sure but I think all you have to do is swap out the projectors because the bulb holder is different

Hella made the original lights.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
393 Posts
Don't even try to put HID lights in the OE headlights unless you just want to be "that guy" that everybody hates because of the glare from his lights. An M-B OE HID light fixture is damned expensive, so you might question the cost. There are some Chinese aftermarket fixtures that are reasonably priced but they have quality issues. I have a set of Chinese aftermarket and they are better than stock, but not much. They have to be thoroughly sealed with silicon to keep moisture out or they're fogged all the time. Bottom line; a well-installed set of aftermarket Chinese headlights with HIDs is better than the OE even if it is in good condition, but you really have to do some work to install it to quality standards.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,469 Posts
You already have state of the art headlights. Sounds like what you need to do is replace the clear exterior of the lights. Replacements are available and your results will depend on how well the swap goes. The lights are incredibly easy to remove and you will see the tabs around the perimeter that have to be released. A good heat gun would come in handy here and in the installation of the new faces.

Beam adjustment is best left to a shop that has the proper equipment to adjust accurately.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
575 Posts
SNK1972

Has stock HID Benz lights.

It sounds like the lens are in bad shape.

New HID assembly is a lot more compared to the halogen assembly.

So his question is can he buy a halogen remove the projector and Iinstall his existing HID projector from his current lights. I thing that it is possible.

He is not trying to do anything more then what his car came with from the factory.

Original HID are 35 Watts, I had some one trying to sell me a 50watt conversion kit for my halogens that is a problem and against the law in many us states.

·
Registered
Ml55 2002
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wally. Spot on.

So.can it be done? Buy some halogen units and replace the inners with my HID ones?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
575 Posts
I am not one hundred percent sure let me find the video of the projector swap a bit later and post the link.

If it were me I would see about digging up a used standard halogen lens, from a pick apart yard . Or my yard let’s one bring in my old parts so i can compare.

Find an ml in a yard pull out the light bring in yours and compare them.

They are not hard to remove, yours is a 99 so you are looking at 98-01. After that the design changes.

I may go to a yard later today or tomorrow, can see if I can get some photos of the halogen back set up on a 99 they just got in

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
393 Posts
When you say they're "rough," do you just mean that they're scratched and yellowed? If that is the case, have you tried to polish them? There are some effective kits out there for little money that will give you pretty much new-looking headlights with a little elbow grease. If you have HID projectors with self-leveling you have state of the art and you're not going to find anything aftermarket any better. You can buy new OE ones but they're a pretty penny.

As to your strategy of getting some OE halogen units and installing your projectors, ballasts, and leveling, check to make sure the projector is the only difference. Halogen units like the OE that were on my '99 are reflectors and the beam pattern is set by the shape of both the internal reflector and the outer lens. HID units are projectors and the beam pattern is set by the shape of the projector. The reason for my caution above is that if you just put HID bulbs in a halogen fixture, they scatter light all over the place instead of in a concentrated beam pattern. The only downside of polishing them is you have to do it with some regularity, every few months or so depending on where you are and road conditions. Mine were ten years old when I got the vehicle, three years of which had been in the bright sun of Phoenix, and they were very yellowed. They polished right up but after a few months were starting to look yellowed again, so I replaced them with aftermarket HIDs.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,469 Posts
I'll be surprised if you get decent results with this conversion..

Wally, yes, MB offered Halogen headlights in the early years and then upgraded to the HID's later in the W163's.

They are two TOTALLY different technologies and I doubt seriously if the results would be satisfactory. The whole lens arrangement is different between the two designs.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
575 Posts
Yes the lens on the projectsors are or might be different between hid and halogen.

His liights are not the earlier 98-91.

He has 2003 lights that are HID unless he says other wise I am taking that they are MB.

He wants to buy Halogen lights unscrew the projectors. Take his existing lights remove the projectors.
Then make a swap.

Yes you can polish lights but unless you clear coat with a uv clear plastic finish they will yellow.

Here is the video link

·
Registered
Ml55 2002
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all.

The lenses on my headlights have gone beyond sanding / lacquering, hence why I want to replace them. They are OEM, I dont want to go down chinese fakes as these leak and I want to keep OEM.

On eBay MB Ml 2001+ HID headlights are way more expensive than Halogen ones, so I wondered if I could swap the inners out. I suppose the only way would be to heat up the unit, swap the lenses from a good condition set of halogens.

SBK

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
575 Posts
Either that (heat) or as I said see if the projectors will swap. Did you watch the video?

You could start by purchasing just one to see what you can do with it

Here is a video on changing halogen bulbs on a ml at the 1:50 mark if you look above his hand you can see one of the screws that hold the projector in place.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,736 Posts
Hi all.

The lenses on my headlights have gone beyond sanding / lacquering, hence why I want to replace them. They are OEM, I dont want to go down chinese fakes as these leak and I want to keep OEM.

On eBay MB Ml 2001+ HID headlights are way more expensive than Halogen ones, so I wondered if I could swap the inners out. I suppose the only way would be to heat up the unit, swap the lenses from a good condition set of halogens.

SBK
Are you referring to the entire assembly replacement OR just a lens replacement?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
575 Posts
Are you referring to the entire assembly replacement OR just a lens replacement?
He is
He wants clear lens otherwise his hid system is working. It is just how to get there. He has tried polishing the old.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,736 Posts
Get these replacements. Other members have ordered from them.

Just make sure you correctly seal with butyl (no air gaps) and your good to go.

·
Registered
Ml55 2002
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi all

Wally. I did look at the video, many thanks for posting it. I'm tempted to buy one normal halogen, and giving it a try. See what moves over etc. I've looked at a, halogen headlight and it has all the screw holes for the oem balast and and I bet the auto leveler will click onto the height screw.

Will try and, report back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts