Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a couple of request for threads to be stickied such as the New Years Roll Call and a consolidated W163 picture thread. Both fine and good threads. We already have five threads stickied at the top and I feel that two more would make the first page visually unappealing and rather cluttered.

Personally, I'd like to see a maximum of five threads to be stickied. So in order for the two mentioned above to be put up, two are going to have to come down.

So which threads do you guys feel should stay or go? Any other opinions are welcome.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
158 Posts
The new members guide was most helpful to me when I joined. I agree that the stickey's should be limited so as not to have too many. Five sounds like a good number to me.

Will

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Three of the current stickies appear to be DIY's that could be unstuck and linked to a single new DIY sticky.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
How about making the entire first page Stickies.
That way all the regulars need to do is either jump to page 2 or just Bookmark page 2.

Another option would be to have One Sticky on page 2 showing the date of the last sticky on page 1.

OR -- Just have one sticky on page 1 with Titles and links to all the Stickies.

Even the 5 listed are annoying every time I go into BW HOWEVER most of these stickies are VERY VALUABLE and we needd a system to reference them and easily access them.

Maybe some of these suggestions will lead someone to come up with a better solution.
Mike

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Three of the current stickies appear to be DIY's that could be unstuck and linked to a single new DIY sticky.
I didn't think about that.

I believe I've seen the format on several sub-fora here where the DIY sticky simply links to the DIY threads with a brief description in the post. This seems simple enough. Any thoughts?

How about making the entire first page Stickies.
That way all the regulars need to do is either jump to page 2 or just Bookmark page 2.

Another option would be to have One Sticky on page 2 showing the date of the last sticky on page 1.

OR -- Just have one sticky on page 1 with Titles and links to all the Stickies.

Even the 5 listed are annoying every time I go into BW HOWEVER most of these stickies are VERY VALUABLE and we needd a system to reference them and easily access them.

Maybe some of these suggestions will lead someone to come up with a better solution.
Mike
Unfortunately, the stickies will always appear on every single page within the forum. Making page one full of stickies and having one sticky on page two showing the date of the last sticky on page one would not work.

The last option in your post sounds similar to the idea of linking to the DIY threads in a single DIY sticky. Linking to a sticky within a sticky would be redundant because the sticky would already be at the top of the forum pages.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
The last option in your post sounds similar to the idea of linking to the DIY threads in a single DIY sticky. Linking to a sticky within a sticky would be redundant because the sticky would already be at the top of the forum pages.
What I meant was Un-Sticky the current Stickies and just reference them within just 1 Sticky. Someone else suggested imbeding all text of the current Stickies into one Sticky. (at least that's what I thought it meant) My suggestion would just show an index of all Stickies with associated links. Maybe I am just stating what was already suggested. I hope I explained that correctly.
Mike

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would suggest limited stickies that have links to relevant threads. For instance a "common issues and recalls" sticky, a "maintenance, repair and DIY" sticky, and maybe a "modifications and upgrades" sticky. I think all of you guys who have watched or participated in the forum for for an extended period of time know the best threads that could be placed as links in the sticky threads.

Maybe a fourth "new users" sticky advising how to use the search function, how to update their profile, basic posting rules, how to avoid the wrath of Pointman.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
I didn't think about that.

I believe I've seen the format on several sub-fora here where the DIY sticky simply links to the DIY threads with a brief description in the post. This seems simple enough. Any thoughts?
Zackley. Here's the DIY Sticky in the G-Section, for example: DIY Sticky. It has the added benefit of encouraging others to post DIYs, knowing they will be linked in.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I like this idea.

Also we could have a 'debate' sticky with topics like: Transmission Flushes, Regular vs. Premium, etc. :D Just kidding, I can only imagine what that would lead to.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like it. Best option so far. About 100% better then my ideas.
But who is Zackley?
Mike
Zackley = Exactly. ;)

I put up the DIY thread collection sticky. Let me know what I could change and/or add on. I did it in quite a hurry. :)

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Zackley = Exactly. ;)

I put up the DIY thread collection sticky. Let me know what I could change and/or add on. I did it in quite a hurry. :)
I was being facetious with the Zackley question. Sorry, more of my sick humor.
I already checked out the DIY sticky and it looks good.
Mike

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Zackley = Exactly. ;)

Looks perfect. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Keep up the great work Asian. For me it's just nice to see a moderator trying to be diligent and make an effort with their new found responsibility. :thumbsup:

The way you reworked it is much better. Great input guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts