Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of converting a 2003 ML350 from tan interior to dark interior. Here is a full step-by-step video for the entire (upper and lower) dash replacement. You can also see how to replace the infamous blend door motor in this video:

The process is similar, but not identical, on the earlier ML's ('98 - '01). If you have an earlier model, watch this Mercedes video as well:

If you'd like to see a video for the steering wheel swap, steering wheel collar trim swap, and the steering wheel airbag cover pad swap, a video link is located in the top post on this thread (or you can check my youtube channel from above):

I'll be posting a few other videos for the seats remove & replace, and the seat track remove & replace, wiring a non-memory seat to a memory seat track, and probably an A-pillar R&R, dash cupholder R&R (and maybe some other trim pieces that might be trickier or that don't have good youtube video yet). If you're interested in some trim piece in particular that is not yet on youtube, leave a comment below, and perhaps I can do a video, or a least show the process if I find the part in the junkyards.

I hope this helps! Much thanks to the forum.

Registered
Another great video demoder. 馃檹
Your original dash must have taken a UV sun beating over the years - seeing how your vents literally disintegrated into pieces while removing it. (I now use a sunshade on ALL our vehicles regardless of weather)

Q - You are using a head strap for your gopro or mobile device while filming?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, khomer! I'm not sure of the full history on the ML. My sister got it around 2007 or 2008, and it was a salvage title due to a roll-over total. She got a great deal on it -- $5,000 for a then-4 or 5 year old MB.

Whoever put it back together put the roof from another ML on it, and then re-sprayed it (though no too well, as the clear coat is shot). I think the roof was from an ML with gray interior, because they just over-layed the tan interior headliner over the existing headliner (that's why its strange/puffy-looking at the A pillar trim).

The ML has been very reliable, though I chase my tail a couple of minor electrical issues. She just moved to my state last year, so I have only been working on it since that time.

I don't even know if that dash was the original dash! I would think the airbags would explode and the dash might get ruined during a rollover, but I don't know. She had an constant-on SRS light since she bought it, and I just recently cleared that with my new scanner.

There was all kinds of broken windshield glass under the dash when I removed it. The current windshield is MB and has been in since before she owned it. So, its a mystery machine! It probably has parts from 15 different ML's on it! (I know I've frankenstein'ed parts from at least 7 or 8).

For filming: I don't have a go-pro. I just use a cell phone (an older iphone 5) on one of two little cheapo tripods that I have. Recording really slows me down, but its worth it and it helps me learn patience, haha

1 - 3 of 3 Posts