Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,196 Posts
I was told on the seal there are holes made in the seal for a reason? I also bought seal maker so I could find the hole that is suppose to be there and use the seal maker around it? I was told by a shop after buying the new seal kit that they would have to unplug the computer to replace it with the new one and that they didn't want to take responsibility to do it.lol. Can you tell me more info about this. And I recognize the ones on here that know what they are talking about and the ones whom don't. Wallyo, Drx and you are my 3 trusted people so far.lol
Bonita,

Best you start another thread on this hiss topic, if you like so we dont get 2 intertwined discussions here on your "start error issue".
I'll have to dig up the "hissing" links for you (others like wallyo, DrX, etc will probably have them too and can post accordingly)
I've also got DB photos of the temp/ possibly permanent fix for you w/o using the PU seal. Ive done both repairs - BB removal (neighborsML320), as well as the temp fix in the fall of 2018 (on our ML500) and still no hissing issues.
==
Here's a document I found earlier today in my DB. Sorry, meetings up to my chin all morning. And I had it labelled incorrectly and in the wrong folder in DB (dang gremlins...). It should be helpful. Good flow charts too, near the end of the pdf doc.

Compliments of DrX a few years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,151 Posts
Here is little gizmo that verifies that immo ring communicates (or at least tries) with the key.
Place around the key, put key in position 0. Moment you brake from position 0 to 1 LED on the gizmo lights up, split second later ATA LED blinks once. That is how it works with my ML's with no starting issues.

Person that wrote tools instructions knows that car has two wheels, propulsion unit has tail and two large ears.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,196 Posts
Here is little gizmo that verifies that immo ring communicates (or at least tries) with the key.
Place around the key, put key in position 0. Moment you brake from position 0 to 1 LED on the gizmo lights up, split second later ATA LED blinks once. That is how it works with my ML's with no starting issues.

Person that wrote tools instructions knows that car has two wheels, propulsion unit has tail and two large ears.

View attachment 2619596
Yup, got ones of these life savers. Well worth the pennies.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,151 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
  1. Okay. I finally removed the eam and das. I think the eam is my problem. Do you think this was from water damage by the looks of the damage? Do you think if I clean it it would work again? It doesn't smell like a burnt smell but it has been since August and has had time to air out. Now if not repairable...the eam I can replace without having to have it programmed to my vin...correct? I am still trying to figure out how to remove the das(to check it out) without breaking anything. Mercedes sure likes to use cheap plastic in such a wonderful vehicles.lol Sorry for my dirty hands. I was excited that I got it removed today. I had to wait for our 3in of snow to melt and it not be raining so I could remove it.

Attachments

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,151 Posts
Yes, it is water damage. Clean both sides of circuit boards with toothbrush and contact cleaner and hope for the best.

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

View attachment 2619596
I did go ahead and order this for the future in case I need it💚Thank you for pointing out this!

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Yes, it is water damage. Clean both sides of circuit boards with toothbrush and contact cleaner and hope for the best.
So how do I remove it...the 2 hex screws and the 2 clips behind the das?
If it don't work...which it will...can I replace the eam without having it programmed to my vin? I'm looking into a pick and pull if all fails.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,151 Posts
So how do I remove it...the 2 hex screws and the 2 clips behind the das?
If it don't work...which it will...can I replace the eam without having it programmed to my vin? I'm looking into a pick and pull if all fails.
Cannot help you with EAM disassembly. Finesse and patience all I could recommend. DAS/FBM is VIN specific. EAM needs to be coded to reflect equipment installed. Like HID lights Yes/No.

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Okay. I got it apart. Its the 2 little screws and it slides upward and out. Pictures step by step below. Eam and das removal from each other. And then how to remove circuit board.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Upon further inspection with a light...I think I found mold. So should I clean that also? I'm afraid to clean something that shouldn't get wet.lol. I'll wait for your reply. Thank you guys so much for all the help.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,295 Posts
EAM will give you engine start without coding. The immo codes are in the DAS module.

Electrical cleaner contains no water. It’s safe to spray on your circuit board and connectors. I’d break out an old electric toothbrush and give the affected areas a gentle scrub.

I’d also use some phosphoric acid rust dissolver on any corroded connectors. Then clean the residue with electrical cleaner and cotton tips. Plug in, zip up and pray.

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Well I plugged everything back up and still "start error" but the dealership didn't tell me to put key at 2 in ignition and wait a minute to try to start. Now my sunroof works again.lol. But I tried to start and it started and then died like in theft mode...which is what it had been doing. I did order the key reader thing that was suggested...so once I receive it I will check my key transponder and go from there. Any ideas until then?

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,295 Posts
But I tried to start and it started and then died like in theft mode...which is what it had been doing.
If the new key is doing this, the next thing to try is swapping the DAS ring/module (transponder coil & immobilizer control module).

If that doesn’t work, then you need a new/used EAM. Unplug your DAS module and plug it into the new EAM. No other coding is required for engine start.

If all the above fails, it’ll be back to the dealer for a new DAS module (the one that plugs into the EAM).

61 - 80 of 80 Posts