Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here’s the relevant thread, about leaky sunroof or blocked cowl drain causing “start error”: Ml55 - DAS / Key / Transponder

In your 2002 ML, AAM in the engine bay fuse/relay box doesn’t cause start error. The immo functions were re-rerouted to the EAM, inside the cabin under the dashboard from MY2000 and later.
What is your opinion with what's wrong with my car? If its the das transponder ring do I have to have it programmed at the dealership?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
I will try this once the weather in Ohio get a little warmer it is so cold and rainy right now. Thank you for all your help. I'll try that 1st then I'm going to try to make sure the aam is dry and has a good connection and lastly if that don't work I'll order a new das transponder ring. Thank you again!
Bonita

You stated the above in response to DrX's post #16 which lead me to believe you were going to follow his instructions of

"Unplug and remove the EAM, inspect for water damage. Unclip and remove DAS module (the one inside the EAM), check connectors, clean and dry out. Use hairdryer."

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,292 Posts
Hi
What is your opinion with what's wrong with my car?
You have an immobilizer system failure caused by a chain of events.
  1. Your brake line ruptured, stranding your ML outside, where it was left open to the elements for weeks.
  2. Heavy rains during that period penetrated the passenger cabin, probably via openings in the firewall.
  3. Water found its way onto your EAM (Extended Activity Module) and its connector/s. This disrupts power supply to the key sensing ring/coil surrounding the ignition keyhole.
  4. When you attempt engine start, the coil can’t read the rolling code in your key transponder, causing a crank-fire-immediate_stall condition with “start error” in the odometer display.
A similar thing happened to Simon (sbk1972) in the UK. To fix, he located the EAM, disconnected it, and cleaned and dried the connector pins before reassembly.

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bonita

You stated the above in response to DrX's post #16 which lead me to believe you were going to follow his instructions of

"Unplug and remove the EAM, inspect for water damage. Unclip and remove DAS module (the one inside the EAM), check connectors, clean and dry out. Use hairdryer."
I'm going to try everything recommended step by step. Not in any way did I mean I didn't believe what you said. I'm going to try the cleaning and drying the 1st step because it would be the cheapest to start with...then go on to the next recommendation after that.

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Monday the 3rd 2020 is suppose to be 60 degrees here in Ohio...so I'm going to work on getting my instrument cluster out and check for water or moisture and unplug the das and clean and make sure it's dry. Should I clean the pins with alcohol? And of it starts afterwards I am going to work on my sunroof drain plugs and the ones by the windshield wipers.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
Monday the 3rd 2020 is suppose to be 60 degrees here in Ohio...so I'm going to work on getting my instrument cluster out and check for water or moisture and unplug the das and clean and make sure it's dry. Should I clean the pins with alcohol? And of it starts afterwards I am going to work on my sunroof drain plugs and the ones by the windshield wipers.
electrical contact cleaner is best - Amazon.com: CRC Industries Inc.: 11Oz Electronic Cleaner, 05103 2PK: Automotive

EDIT:
I would recommend you tackle any potential sunroof drain and cowl drain leaks sooner than later if you're going to "dry up" all the electrical water issues. You dont want another water incident after your electrical fixes. That would spoil everything.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,939 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
When I got most of the dash taken apart...this was just in there laying not connected to anything. Does anyone know what it went to or what its from?

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So is this my immobilizer? Say I have to replace my key transponder...can I replace the immobilizer too or does the immobilizer have to be coded to my vin number/programmed to my car? If so I can just replace the key transponder without going to a Mercedes Benz dealership? Tomorrow I'm taking out the dash cluster to get to the das so I can clean it up. Also I recognized something today...my door lock button in the center console isn't working, my mirror adjustment isn't working and my sun roof would not open? I'm so confused!?

Attachments

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
So is this my immobilizer? Say I have to replace my key transponder...can I replace the immobilizer too or does the immobilizer have to be coded to my vin number/programmed to my car? If so I can just replace the key transponder without going to a Mercedes Benz dealership? Tomorrow I'm taking out the dash cluster to get to the das so I can clean it up. Also I recognized something today...my door lock button in the center console isn't working, my mirror adjustment isn't working and my sun roof would not open? I'm so confused!?
Yes, that is your immobilizer.
That's coded to your vin#.

Your asking a multitude of Qs on many issues. Keep your thread to one topic.
Start another thread on the other issues.
You're confused - I'm guessing because you're trying to multi-task all your issues in one fell swoop.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,292 Posts
The immobilizer isn’t VIN-coded. It’s just a go-between, that transmits the codes from your key to the DAS module/EAM and vice versa.

A working immo box and DAS ring from any ML will work with yours.

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Your asking a multitude of Qs on many issues. Keep your thread to one topic.
Start another thread on the other issues.
You're confused - I'm guessing because you're trying to multi-task all your issues in one fell swoop.
I was asking all in one because others have said to go into great depth with detail. I was wondering If all them are related to my initial problem...not because I'm trying to ask further questions so to speak. It all worked before.

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The immobilizer isn’t VIN-coded. It’s just a go-between, that transmits the codes from your key to the DAS module/EAM and vice versa.

A working immo box and DAS ring from any ML will work with yours.
Thank you!

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,292 Posts
Bonita, if you follow the wire from the back of the black immo box, it will lead you to the EAM.

Also I recognized something today...my door lock button in the center console isn't working, my mirror adjustment isn't working and my sun roof would not open? I'm so confused!?
Sunroof power is supplied by EAM. (It also controls seat heating, rear defroster, cruise control, among other minor functions. Plus one major function - immobilizer code reading and writing via the black transponder coil control box.)

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Bonita, if you follow the wire from the back of the black immo box, it will lead you to the EAM.
I'm going out now to remove the dash cluster to be able to reach it. I'm thinking of going ahead and changing my led lights in my dash cluster while I have it out. Do you know wht ones I need or the part number for them? I think I'm going with blue instead of white.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,292 Posts
I think you should focus on achieving engine start. After you pull the cluster, you will realize how easy it is to change the bulbs in future.

Take care with the black plastic rivets holding the cluster in. I dropped one under the dashboard - found it 5 years later.

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I think you should focus on achieving engine start. After you pull the cluster, you will realize how easy it is to change the bulbs in future.
That is my main focus. I was meaning once I do get it running. Positive vibes is all I'm thinking about and lots of prayers! I found a key transponder on eBay brand new in the package for $130 and at the dealership it is $230!

·
Registered
2002 Ml320 w163
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Take care with the black plastic rivets holding the cluster in. I dropped one under the dashboard - found it 5 years later.
Okay. I have the dash cluster out but where do I look for the EAM? This is all I see...

Attachments

21 - 40 of 80 Posts