Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately my windshield wiper wasn't functioning as it should have since I bought the car. If I'm not mistaken there's a little plastic gear inside the wiper arms, that push the driver side's wiper into the corner of the windshield, so this way this effect can be achieved:
If you concentrate on the base of the wipers, you can see they are moving up and down very quickly when they reach the corner.

Anyway story time over, anyone know of a good replacement gear, that will actually work?
I don't want to risk buying a used one, because junkyard dealers would probably only sell me the whole wiper assembly and I don't know of a good replacement.
I've heard stories about the wiper arm gears on ebay that even though they are brand new they are a piece of junk, since they are made of dogshit quality plastic, so can someone please guide me in the right direction, where to buy a proper one?

EDIT:
Just found this one, but it's made of bronze and I'm not sure if it'll mess up other things in there:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gear-wheel-wiper-blades-wipers-Mercedes-W140-W202-W210-1408200407/254119353301?hash=item3b2ab19bd5:g:AT8AAOSwBZ5cYVJu
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1997 S500
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a heads-up guys.

DO NOT BUY THIS POS or anything similar from ebay, because none of these gears have inner teeth.

I guess I'll keep searching and if I find anything, I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
3,602 Posts
i did not check but i guess this page is a good source. Some other member suggested this page recently (he purchased something, so the page is real) to me when i was searching for seat gear:

?????Wong Tai Co., Ltd

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,710 Posts
Just a heads-up guys.

DO NOT BUY THIS POS or anything similar from ebay, because none of these gears have inner teeth.

I guess I'll keep searching and if I find anything, I'll let you guys know.
I just did this job today with one of the plastic gears off eBay. The inner spines don't matter, as the gear is a tight press fit. I used a vice to press it on the shaft, and the splines on the shaft made their own in the gear. Works fine.

The hardest thing to do was to find the correct "timing" of the mechanism so that the wiper is in the correct "in" position at the top and rest position. Took me a few trial and error attempts.

Jon

·
Registered
1997 S500
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why those inner teeth matter, because that's what should keep it in place.

But yes indeed, you're right we did the same with the brass gear, we pressed it onto the shaft as well.
I've read from other users that the not OEM plastic gears they bought, broke after 2-4 weeks.

And if I remember well, the correct timing for the wiper is when it's at half way. To be precise, when it's pushing out the blade I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts