Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz S420 '95
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to do wheels alignment on my w140, I did it 2-3 times and the problem persists, my rear tires thread is wearing faster on the outside part of the tire and viceversa on the front tires. somebody told me that my car rear is a bit rised and this cause my thread wears irregularly. Can it be a problem or the indy want to earn some money on changing my rear springs and pads.
thank you

free picture hosting

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
your mechanic is right, the rear is too high from the picture. are the roads really bad in moldova so you raised the height? don't replace the springs or pads, just cut 1 coil from the rear springs to lower it a little.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Your profile says you have a 95 S420, but the pic shows V12 badges. Which is it? An S420 with badges stuck on or an S600 with SLS?

The latter can have the height adjuster moved to lower it a tad. If it's normal suspension then maybe you can get thinner rubber rings for the top of the springs.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
The tires look to me like they could be undersized from standard. What size wheels and tires are on it?

Outside wear can be from too much toe-in setting. And opposite for inside wear, a toe-out condition. Or inside wear is also too much negative camber.

Try a new alignment shop.

Brett

·
Registered
1994 S350, 2001 CLK320
37 Posts
140 wheel alignment

Just finished this week solving the same rear tread problem (bare Chord showing) on my 1994 S350.
Replaced inner(2) and outer(2) rear lower control arm bushings.
Additionally, changed both rear coil springs because left spring found broken.
Also, replaced rear left control arm because bushing had "wallowed" out the arm.
I would check your bushings in rear lower control arms.

Good Luck
Mike

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Just finished this week solving the same rear tread problem (bare Chord showing) on my 1994 S350.
Replaced inner(2) and outer(2) rear lower control arm bushings.
Additionally, changed both rear coil springs because left spring found broken.
Also, replaced rear left control arm because bushing had "wallowed" out the arm.
I would check your bushings in rear lower control arms.

Good Luck
Mike
How do you know it's solved? I would think you would need some time to re-evaluate tire wear.

No doubt worn bushings are a contributing factor, however. The OP should check his. We all should. Every W140 at this point is likely in need of new bushings on every suspension arm all around the car.

Brett

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
what are your alignment specs?

ask for a printout before and after. anything other than this is POINTLESS

i had an alignment drama but i won't bother until you post your specs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts