Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hi everyone, Thanks a ton in advance for replies and votes. Just about to graduate college, and

• W140 S Class

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • a brand new car around $20,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy a $3K used car and keep the rest for the house down payment

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Thanks a ton in advance for replies and votes.

Just about to graduate college, and in the market for the next ride.
Most of my buddies are interested in or already bought brand-new cars between $15,000 ~ $25,000 range (such as decent mid-size car or SUVs like Honda Accord/CR-V, Nissan Altima/Maxima, Pontiac G6, Ford Mustang/Explore, etc.) with college graduate rebate program.

As a proud member of MBCA and BenzWorld as well as an enthusiast of Mercedes-Benz, I cannot pass on W140 (I love big bode Benz, currently own W126).
So, I was thinking spend $15,000 ~ $20,000 on used W140 (mileage might be high, years does not matter to me), and spend additional $5,000 ~ $6,000 to fix up the problem spots. Do you guys think it is practical?

Which one do you prefer?
A brand new car around $20,000 or W140 with possible fix up?
I do realize that if I go for W140, insurance premium and gas price substantially higher than regular cars.

And the second question is, is it true that some companies giving hard time on new employees if they drive bigger/nicer/sleeker cars than their bosses/managers?[:)]

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Unless you have a good paying job secured, I would get the new car. A140 body is out of any kind of warranty, and if you are fortunate to find one "starmarked" it will not last long.
Dont get me wrong it is a great car, but will cost you even with proper maintenance. The parts, tools, are expensive.
As far as I was concened they could drive anything they could afford, but would be concerned if their ride broke down too often, spent too much money on it, then you question their business sense.

·
Registered
w140 s300turbodiesel
238 Posts
Since you are just about to graduate I'd suggest you get yourself an old banger and save up for that house. Most of us were graduates once and believe it or not most if not all of us have regretted spending more money than was actually needed on a ride. I say go for an early 90s bmw 3-series (320 for example) or similar. That will take you through to your second job hassle- and worry-free. Then buy whatever you feel like, if you can afford it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my experience we are in an area that is really tough to discuss rationally.

Depends on your view of many things...

At 24 and newly married I sat across from a doctor who was ordering an open lung biopsy for me, that was 25 years ago and I can happily report it was benign but the silver lining was that I always follow my heart when making personal value decisions.

Waiting for some things may seem like the financially prudent thing to do and may be but for me, we're here for a good time not a long time [:)][:)][:)]

In the end, whatever makes you smile is the right choice.

My two cents....

·
Registered
93 500 SEL
19 Posts
Drive the 140 after you get more established in a career. An older Benz can be a money pit, but there's nothing like flying down the interstate on a 140. Those of us who are addicted to cars don't mind the extra maintenance expense, but it would have been too much on me when I was just out of college. An off-lease Caddy would be a reliable yet somewhat prestigious car for someone starting out. The cost would be low, maintenance and repairs minimal. When you make some bling, get the Benz!

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
I say get the W140. If it's your passion, you'll make it work.

The W126 has already seasoned you on used MB ownership, and you already seem mature in at least one aspect, being prepared for the repair bills. You say you're ready to drop $5000 for reconditioning. I would add another 50% or more to that just to be safe, then budget a buying price from there. S320's can be very reasonably priced. Shop smart, get pre-purchase inspection, etc., etc, and you may end up very happy. While your buddies cars will lose 50% of their values in three years, yours may only lose 20%. If you get into a good car for $15K and do a lot of routine maintenance and minor repairs yourself, financially, I think you could end up just as fit as them.

Brett

·
Registered
93 500 SEL
19 Posts
One last thing, then you can make your own decision. Lots of good advice already posted on this thread. Avoid BMW, which stands for Big Money Wasted. (as compared with MB, which is big money well spent.) I know from experience, BMW is not a world class car. I had the clearcoat peel off an outside mirror on a brand new Beemer, and the dealership couldn't do anything until a company rep came in to inspect the problem. The rep then lectured me about using car wash from Wal-Mart (which I hadn't). They eventually made good on it...there are some other mechanical tales I can tell, but you're probably not interested nor do we have space.

·
Registered
1996 S600 (Sebastian), 1999 SLK230 Kompressor (Tie Fighter)
638 Posts
the rebate your pals are taking advantage of is just a come on. as previously stated, they will still loose a huge chunk in that first couple of years through depreciation.

although it's admirable to want a w140, you brought up a very legitimate point which should be a source of concern for you in that subordinates should not drive flashier cars than their superiors, at least not to work. it WILL have a detrimental effect. it's not worth the risk especially since you're just coming out of the gate.

for what it's worth, my advice would be to forgo the w140 for a few years possibly until you have some experience and the time spent building your prestige and proving your worth in your career. be mindful of the types of cars your superiors are driving and respond accordingly. don't think for a minute that they won't notice a big benz or who's driving it.

concerning what to buy right now...if you really HAVE to buy a different car upon graduation, then purchase one of those autos you mentioned which your pals are getting, except get it with low miles maybe two years old and pocket the cash you'll save for when you are ready for that big benz.

congrats on your degree and good luck! [8D]

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,821 Posts
You already have a W126, assuming its paid for. WAIT on the W140 and make the smart finacial move and get the house. You'll have your pic of W140's for years to come. Do whats IMPORTANT. These cars come, go, will be around.

·
Registered
S320W
610 Posts
Benz Devil - 3/8/2005 2:43 AM
And the second question is, is it true that some companies giving hard time on new employees if they drive bigger/nicer/sleeker cars than their bosses/managers?[:)]
Iam not sure about others, but I recently had an issue with the guy i work for. I was told that i dont really deserve a better compansation end-year bonus as others who dont drive "luxury" cars deserve more. According to him, i make a whole lot of $$ (which is not really true).

I would say, buy what you like, but saving for a house is better deal.

///S320

1 - 11 of 11 Posts