Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Mercede-Benz S500
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo im forever trying to get me car back up and running so Long story short. I bought a 95' S500 that didnt have reverse but did have the FWD gears. I re-freshen my motor and rebuilt my tranny. Now the car has reverse and goes into gear but does not want to shift gears. Pretty much stuck on 1 gear when driving. So my dad was saying its the torque convertor is bad. So now we have a spare w126 motor and tranny that we pulled out of a 420SEL. I was wondering will the w126 torque convertor work with my w140 tranny?

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Mr Fresh,

I doubt it's the torque converter. Do you have reverse?

It can be a number of things.

A)Some transmissions have shift retard solenoid on the drivers side of the transmission.
B)Did you feel the springyness of the bowden cable
C)breakband piston(b1 or B2) is engaged
D) Valve body issue, loose or missing some check balls

Martin

·
Registered
1995 Mercede-Benz S500
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... im not sure. my dad just rebuilt it. The main problem before was that the reverse went out on it. So we then took it apart and rebuilt everything and now it has reverse but doesn't want to upshift when driving. Yeah i was kinda thinking the same thing too because it was shifting fine before we took it apart. But my dad thinks it the torque...

·
Registered
1995 Mercede-Benz S500
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ I see... yeah ima run that across my dad and see what he thinks.. It makes sense that it can't be the torque converter since it was driving fine beforehand. I need to get back into my car. i miss my w140 =/

·
Registered
1995 Mercede-Benz S500
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little update! So we dropped the tranny over the weekend and we finally figured out why the gears aren't shifting. MY dad took off the lower pan and we found a tiny bit of metal shavings in there. So we went to inspect the tranny to see what is going on. We found that the gear inside that is on the back of the tranny (where the driveshaft bolts on) the spring has popped out. The gear that is on the rear side. We took it out and it was slightly bent so we had an extra w126 tranny and swapped out the part. My dad is putting it together right now so we will know later today if the car is good. Thanks for the help guys! =)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts