Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When,for example, I pull out of a parking lot to turn onto a main street, just coming down a curb cut incline, when I turn onto the main street there is always some annoying side to side rocking of the car as I am coming off the slight rise of the parking lot and turning to straighten out.

I know this car has a soft ride, but it seems that, unlike my W123, I can't just accelerate out of the parking lot, turning and then go straight away. There is this rocking briefly as the car adjusts to the slight grade differential.

At a standstill, the body sits level and pressing on each corner, I don't really get bouncing.

The rocking seems to be the front of the car, and there are usually about two side to side rocks before the car settles down.

Is this just the design of the ride, or should I be considering replacing the shocks in the front?The car only has 98 K miles on it.

Could the rear accums be the problem? There is no sag at the rear of the car, even when the trunk is loaded.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
New dampers won't hurt, but I'm guessing it's just the girth of the W140 vs. the W123. I don't know the curb weight on the W123, but I'm guessing the W140 at 4,500 lbs may have 1,000 lbs on the W123. That's a lot more weight pitching back and forth.

Brett

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,885 Posts
I don't recall mine having it that seriously, however that was one of the reasons I had my suspension replaced when I first purchased my 140.

·
Registered
current fleet: 1996 s500; 1997 BMW 328ic; 2000 Nissan Frontier; 1966 AC Cobra
279 Posts
Your problem is likely in your tires.

When tires begin to separate, they create wobble; most noted at slow speeds, ie less than 30mph.

This happened to me recently on a set of Continental tires. The tire shop correctly identified the problem right away. unfortunately the only solution was new tires.

The problem evaporated right away - no more slow speed wobble.

Continentals are problematic - I would suggest you stay away from them. Too many cases of tire failure under warranty and Contintenal refusing to hold up their end of the bargain. I know of a high speed separation causing damage and Contential denies fault even with overwhelming evidence. Not my car, thank goodness.

So - AVOID CONTINENTIALS -

Ed in SC

·
Registered
82 500SEL, 97 S600, 88 300TE, 85 300SD, 84 380SE, 86 560SEL, 84 500SEL
64 Posts
Maybe your ADS (if you have it) is acting up?

·
Registered
1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Brett is probably right. Unlike my 123 and my Suburban, the weight and the limo ride characteristics just make for not so stable a transition. It is not tires, as I have no wobble at any speed and they are Michelins.There is no clunking, and the ride on the straight roads is fine. Dips and bumps are handled well. I still wonder about whether newer stiff shocks on the front would help.

After all, while this is a heavy vehicle and you can't fight the laws of physics, I thought that the S-class would still be agile.Do you think on a flat slalom test course an S would be rocking all over the place? Maybe...

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts