Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 S320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 96 S320 with a rear door that will not open. I believe the latch mechanism is made of gold, according to the Mitchell Manual.
Has anyone repaired the latch mechanism on the glove box?
Lastly, am having problems trying to find side window visors for this car.
Anyone help with the answers?
Joe

·
Registered
99 S320 (Sold at 280,000 miles) 2010 S550, 2008 C300, 08 SLK
437 Posts
After working on these cars for a while, one may think these cars are made of gold, but seriously I couldn't imagine any part of a door using gold - too soft. What is wrong with your glove box mechanism? As far as the side window "visors" do you mean the shades that go up and down with the window or something else?

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
If you cant get the lock to open from the outside or inside you will have to get the door panel off, do a search since you have to remove the seat control panel to get at a screw behind it. You will have to jockey it around, and probably break some clips to get it off.
The glove compartment lock is aontrolled by a bowden type cable (think bike handbrake) if you slide a stiff wire down the side of the cylinder at about 45 to 90 degrees the cylinder can be removed (key in lock), pull the cylinder dont remove key the tumblers will fall out. There is a screw that holds the whole assembly that you will see when cylinder is out.
I have no clue about the shade portion or side visor

·
Registered
96 S320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After working on these cars for a while, one may think these cars are made of gold, but seriously I couldn't imagine any part of a door using gold - too soft. What is wrong with your glove box mechanism? As far as the side window "visors" do you mean the shades that go up and down with the window or something else?
What I meant by gold is that the price for a new one is $1800.
The visors are the plastic pieces at the top of the windows that allow the windows to be open a bit without getting rain on the inside.Since most visors I've had on E series went in the rubbler channels at the top, the W140 with flush windows [double glazed] would allow them to be attached to the top of the door metal.

·
Registered
96 S320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you cant get the lock to open from the outside or inside you will have to get the door panel off, do a search since you have to remove the seat control panel to get at a screw behind it. You will have to jockey it around, and probably break some clips to get it off.
The glove compartment lock is aontrolled by a bowden type cable (think bike handbrake) if you slide a stiff wire down the side of the cylinder at about 45 to 90 degrees the cylinder can be removed (key in lock), pull the cylinder dont remove key the tumblers will fall out. There is a screw that holds the whole assembly that you will see when cylinder is out.
I have no clue about the shade portion or side visor
Thanks, I'll try it.
The visors are because of the endless winter rain in Vancouver and I've had them on the E series, but in the case of the W140 there is no rubber channel to put them into.
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts