Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

w140 QUES. PLEASE RESPOND!

2548 18
Well, my 1983 380 SEL broke down and I'm not interested in throwing my money away for repairs. In what ways is the w140 more reliable than the w126? I have already driven two Benzies since 1998, a w116 1976 280 S and the w126 380 SEL as I mentioned and it is hard to let go of the immortal Mercedes. Is it worth looking into a third S-Class? Particulary the w140?? Are they reliable or am I just asking for trouble again? What usually goes wrong with these cars- is it anything vital or is it just stupid stuff? I need something reliable to get to from point A to point B. Which would be the best w140 for a young guy that dosen't have a bottomless bank account?! [ Its a hard question, I know. ] <br> <br> THANKS IN ADVANCE
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is a great car. However the problems that I have encontered are minor. The window regulators are one, and the ASR is the second. This is my 3rd W140 Body style, and It is the only car that I would ever buy. I have not been sold on the new S500 yet. It looks like a ford Tauras.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that I think of it, the new w220 S-class does look like a ford Tauras! HA HA! I think Mercedes has had some second thoughts about the design. Thats why a new body style is already scheduled for production in 2005! The w220 will end up being the shortest lived S-Class of all time!! Anyways, I appreciate your input. I just have two more follow up questions: What is the year of the w140 you drive? Do you think there would be any trouble with the early 1992-93 w140s opposed to the later ones, or do they all pretty much hold up the same? I VALUE your opinion because you have driven three!!!

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had a 99 S-420 for about 3.5 months now. I got it checked out and everything is in pretty good shape. My driver side selt belt tensioner is going bad but at $500 to repair, I'm managing to live with it for now. <br>
<br>
I've read lots of post about this car though. Most horror stories seem to surround the ACC or strut replacement. Both being very costly. These problems seem more common in older 140's or it could just be the 98s/99s don't have enough miles on them yet. <br>
<br>
Window regulators and vaccuum assist problems are often brought up too but they are usually less expensive to repair. In the case of the vaccuum assist, repairs can be completely ignored since it's only a convienence feature, I'm told.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,<br> As a matter of fact, My first 140 S class was a 1992 400SE. It was very very very nice. I currently have a 1995 S500 and a 1995 S420. My wife drives the 420. They are absolutely identical, with the exception of a few horsepower, which is not noticeable at all. I highly recommend the 92 and 93 SE or SEL models. The only problem that I had was the window regulator and window. I unfortuneatley traded it in for a Lincoln Navigator, due to the new addition to the family, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING can ever compare the the 140. I owned the Navigator for about 6 months, after I traded it in. Well, Good luck to you!

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! It looks like nobody had any major engine problems, just stuff on the side. My w126 380 SEL vacuum locks are busted and the air conditioner dosen't work, I never got those things fixed, maintaining the engine is all that matters to me. I just needed something to get to point A to point B. So it looks like the w140 would be a safe investment.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too have a 1992 400SE - I have only had it for two months - I sold my 1984 500 SEC and bought the 400SE as I wanted something newer - It is the best driving Benz of the 6 that I have had - the only problem thus far is an intermittent problem with the right turn signals that the dealer has yet to solve. Parts are a little on the expensive side - especially if you're looking at electrical components - It is still worth every penny - I'd rather drive a 10 year old Benz -- than a new Chevy.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From participating in many of the MB forums, the W140 is considered to be the best S-class ever built, but also the most expensive to maintain.<br>
<br>
The early models (92-94) had extreme quality problems, and MB for the first time ever had to institute a quality control program to fix them. There were hundreds of TSB's. Some of the most expensive things to fix are the engine wiring harnesses from 93-95. The insulation breaks down and shorts out many of the electrical componenets. The evaporators in the a/c system also leaked. This is not good as MB designed the whole car around the evaporator. They obviously never expected them to fail, because it's 22.0 hours of shop labor to replace them. The whole interior of the car in the front has to come out, carpet, dash, etc., all the way down to the fire wall. It's about a $5,000 job at the dealer, and maybe $3,500 at an independent. <br>
<br>
I would love to own a W140, but I'd think long and hard about buying an early model. And if I did, I'd have to see that all of the items have been fixed, and I'd insist on a warranty. <br>
<br>

· Registered
280Sw116/380SELw126
341 Posts
That is very interesting, I guess I'll stick to getting a 1995-1999 S-Class.

[qu...

From participating in many of the MB forums, the W140 is considered to be the best S-class ever built, but also the most expensive to maintain.<br>
<br>
The early models (92-94) had extreme quality problems, and MB for the first time ever had to institute a quality control program to fix them. There were hundreds of TSB's. Some of the most expensive things to fix are the engine wiring harnesses from 93-95. The insulation breaks down and shorts out many of the electrical componenets. The evaporators in the a/c system also leaked. This is not good as MB designed the whole car around the evaporator. They obviously never expected them to fail, because it's 22.0 hours of shop labor to replace them. The whole interior of the car in the front has to come out, carpet, dash, etc., all the way down to the fire wall. It's about a $5,000 job at the dealer, and maybe $3,500 at an independent. <br>
<br>
I would love to own a W140, but I'd think long and hard about buying an early model. And if I did, I'd have to see that all of the items have been fixed, and I'd insist on a warranty. <br>
<br>
[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

· Registered
280Sw116/380SELw126
341 Posts

[qu...

<br>
<br>
<br>
[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
I just recently bought one

My 96 S320V is a recent purchase. With around 70K miles on it, this car runs like brand new. Few of the problems that i have with this car, and also with my friends 96 S320 is, i see oil leaks. Iam not sure if that is a design problem, but i have heard it from other people who own car like this, and they had it as well. Sometimes, its a gasket leak (not head gasket), usually costs around ~$600. If ure buying a higher milage car, then remember that you may come up with problems such as oxygen sensor and immition control errors (they usually cost around ~$1000 each frm a dealer). As you may also know that the W140 has more elertonics than the mercedes you have, which means that you would have to deal with more electrical problems. I also have an A/C problem, and iam not sure what is it. Apart from everything, if you like to maintain your car, then definately go with the big benz. I drive my car only on weekends with no more than 40 miles per week. I really really enjoy the ride.

The bottom line is, you will spending money every year, right from your own pocket to maintain this car.

Greetingz,
///S320

· Registered
280Sw116/380SELw126
341 Posts
Re: I just recently bought one

Well, I know you are extremely lucky to drive a 1996 S320 for only being 24! I went through blood, sweat, and tears buying my 1976 280 S when I was 18 and then again with my 1983 380 SEL when I was 20. You could say I really worked hard for the old school cars. Speaking of which, I know all the stuff that starts to go wrong with the old school cars and how they have to be maintained 24/7. But I don't know how stuff already goes wrong on a 1996?! Sure, I bet this is normal for a 1996 car, but not a 1996 MB car. On second thought I do remember reading that during production of the w140, MB launched the first Quality Control Program ever. But I thought they corrected everything by the 1995 model year, especially the A/C. I'am enlightened by your input. I want a w140 car because of their gigantic, massive, overkill body and thought they were easier to maintain because they weren't that old...yet. But maybe I was wrong. For what it's worth, you do have an awesome 1996 300 SE [ OOPS, thinkin old school terms again-HA HA ] er... I mean S 320 , black is always the best color.

· Registered
1993 500sel
23 Posts
140 benz

I've had my 93 500sel for about a month now. So far I love it. I've had an 84 500sel and a 72 220 and a 72 280sel. This 93 is the best of the bunch. the trouble I have now is the rear shocks making noise. I've been quoted 750 a piece. These are self leveling shocks w/o ads.I've also seen in my cars' service history, there had been the similiar repairs as stated previosly. Hopefully I won't have to revisit them soon.[:)]

· Registered
1993 500sel
23 Posts
Help...I'm looking for a good parts /accessories supplier

Hello.. I was hoping someone could help me w/the correct name and address of a place I heard of located in California somewhere.I think they are a parts supplier or catalog. I was told the name was something like Precision tune, precision tuning. This local custom shop in Chicago had chrome center caps selling for 25$ a cap. I was told this place sold the identical caps for 6$ a cap, and the employee smiled and confirmed the statement.Any help or similiar store info would be appreciated.

Is this question in the wrong place or what??? I can't get any response....Please help

· Registered
1,686 Posts
I too drive a 1983 380SEL that is in mint condition and always dream of a w140 since the day I went in one. I would buy a w140 for their sound system alone!!

But...the horror stories I read about the cars are stopping me and im not one to enjoy a car that has problems...I hate it when something goes wrong. My 380 is running well and gets alot of compliments so for now i'll pretend its a w140 lol.

I love the w140 also due to its sheer massiveness and beauty. The w126 is big but is really only long not as wide.

· Registered
148 Posts
I just bought a 97 S320 and the family and I absolutely love it. It has a couple of issues but nothing major. The SRS light stays on and the passenger side power mirror motor is wasted. 63k mile beauty. The drive this car gives is amazing. Of all the variations of the W140 the 6 banger is the cheapest as far as maintenance goes which is why I bought it instead of an S420-S600. This motor is the same basic motor as my 87 300E had. My 300 needed valve stem seals and water pump by the time I sold it @138k miles. I never had any other issues and I felt real comfortable with my new purchase. Yeah I may have to pay more money for repairs as they arise but I'm driving a top line Benz for the price of a KIA so no complaints here. Depreciation is a bitch for the original owners and I'm loving my car at the price I paid. Nothing compares to the ride and quality materials of these cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.